PDA

View Full Version : need measurements asap!

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Anyone with a mid '80's Stars and Stripes that has access to it today.....I'm building some "side pods" for lack of a better term for my boat. I don't have daily access to my boat. I need to know the measurment from the floor to the bottom of the gunnel, where the vinyl side coaming pads attach both at the rear of the boat, and at the front of the boat. Please PM me if you have access to you boat today and I can better explain what I need.

Jesus_Freak
12-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Arent you supposed to be at work instead of building pea pods?

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 01:06 PM
lol, very funny freak. I am at work, but I need to buy plywood tonight on the way home. These are going to be the home for my speakers.

Jesus_Freak
12-13-2006, 01:17 PM
...I am at work...

Physically, mentally, or both?

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
lol, physically only, obviously since i'm thinking about boat projects and surfing team talk

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 04:32 PM
ttt...............................

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 07:14 PM
come on, can't anyone save me a 1/2 hour drive? I just need some quick measurements. Someone has to have a Stars and Stripes in thier garage.

edwinfuqua
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I've got an '85 w/ 454HO what do you want me to measure?

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I need to know the distance from the floor to the gunnel, both at the stern and at the seat base on the port side, and the same for the other side, the front being just aft of the throttle control.

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
basically, even though this isn't a MC, this is what I'm looking for. I'm also looking for the measurement in the same place at the back. And the distance from the back to these front locations.

And apologize for posting this thing.:(

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 08:18 PM
A year ago, I'd have guessed you'd have gotten an answer in 5 minutes. Nowadays, that only happens if you want to know about Fletch or Animal House. ;)

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 08:22 PM
ETS, I'm sure I could also find out about a shipping container or some Granite if I needed to. Maybe even a hi-lo. Actually, Edwin is helping me out, I think. My mailbox was full, but I've emptied it.

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Woah, you've got to go to the maintenance thread to learn about shipping containers. 8p Yeah, I waited until it looked like somebody got his boat uncovered to measure before popping off. Are there any combing pads at all (like along the top) or are you doing a complete addition? I thought about modifying mine so I could actually get a ski in there, but wasn't sure it would look good so I'm still just throwing them on the floor. Make sure to take some pics of the project. We need some boat threads on here. :)

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
My coaming pads are there, and in pretty good shape, but I need a place to put speakers and for ski storage, so I'm going to kinda copy this design. Since I'm keeping my coaming pads, i'm gonna cover the bottom with carpet, and the cutout MAY be the shape of half a star on each end, I'm not sure you'll be able to tell what it is though.

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 08:32 PM
You can get skis in my father in law's 205. It's like you removed the bottom of that coaming pad and put a carpeted lip (about 1" high along the floor). Works well, but things other than skis tend to fall out. I guess it's hard to have it all

The star shape sounds cool. Can't wait to see it.

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Here is kinda what I'm thinking. Obviously I would practice my stars, but do you think you'll be able to tell they are stars with them seperated? I may also build a ski rack out of starboard lumber to put inside the "alcove".

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Okay, I mispoke. The carpeted lip is more like 3" off the floor. Here's a picture.

Monte
12-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Here is kinda what I'm thinking. Obviously I would practice my stars, but do you think you'll be able to tell they are stars with them seperated? I may also build a ski rack out of starboard lumber to put inside the "alcove".

I like it. folks who pay attention to detail will def notice, and be impressed IMHO.:rolleyes:

H20skeefreek
12-14-2006, 07:59 AM
..... We need some boat threads on here. :)

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm kinda suprised in the lack of interest here. There are LOTS of people on here with these older boats that have inquired as to where they should put speakers and such. I'll do a full write up when I'm done.

Jesus_Freak
12-14-2006, 07:59 AM
So, freek, did you buy the wood and start the project or what?

H20skeefreek
12-14-2006, 08:06 AM
No, we had a toilet "incident" that I had to take care of last night. Our toilet has been running non-stop, so I tried to adjust the ball valve, and broke it, spraying water EVERYWHERE. I probably won't buy the wood now 'til after CHRISTmas, as last night was pretty much the only time I could work on it before we head to Indiana. I'm still working on the planning stage, and I'm gonna order the carpet today for it. I'm trying to decide if I should add an 8" sub to the rear of the panel, to the left of the star.

H20skeefreek
12-14-2006, 08:08 AM
My coaming pads are there, and in pretty good shape, but I need a place to put speakers and for ski storage, so I'm going to kinda copy this design. Since I'm keeping my coaming pads, i'm gonna cover the bottom with carpet, and the cutout MAY be the shape of half a star on each end, I'm not sure you'll be able to tell what it is though.

Does anyone remember who this boat belongs too? I could get the measurements from him, but I think I remember the boat getting sold, and him possibly buying another brand.

Jesus_Freak
12-14-2006, 08:20 AM
No, we had a toilet "incident" that I had to take care of last night. Our toilet has been running non-stop, so I tried to adjust the ball valve, and broke it, spraying water EVERYWHERE....

Bummer dude. So sorry to hear it. Make a "note to self": Dont quit your day job.:D

I think you will be better prepared in this time you take to plan/calc/decide on how you want to do the work anyway.

H20skeefreek
12-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I still need measurements, as I won't see the boat for a month. I think Edwin took them for me, as I got a notice that he tried to send me a PM, but my box was full. Thanks Edwin, but can you re-send.

ski_king
12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
I still need measurements, as I won't see the boat for a month. I think Edwin took them for me, as I got a notice that he tried to send me a PM, but my box was full. Thanks Edwin, but can you re-send.
I will be seeing my boat either tonight or tomorrow, I will take the measurements if you dont have them by then.
My guess is one 4 x 8 sheet will give you what you need.

Remember to get marine or exterior plywood, or better yet a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/8 or 1/4 in. thick plastic.

H20skeefreek
12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
ski king, that would be great, and yes, a 4x8 sheet should do it. I want to get it cut out rough before I lug them to the lake. If I have to make any minor adjustments, I can do that, but it'll make it much easier to get out there, plus I can get my speaker holes pre-cut and my "star" pre-cut. I realized this morning, that I'll also have to modify the gas tank cover so that it'll be removable w/o taking apart the whole boat.

sbuell
12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
If I get the chance tonight I will try to get the measurements. You will probably have more than you need now. I do remember from rebuilding my combing pads that the drivers side will be longer than 8 feet. When I did my pads I had to do thinner plywood doubled up and overlapping to get the length I needed.

H20skeefreek
12-15-2006, 11:58 PM
any more opinions on my "star" cutout. The wife doesn't care for it, on first glance, she couldn't tell what it was.

east tx skier
12-16-2006, 06:56 AM
It sounds cool, but I'm having trouble visualizing it. Maybe a drawing?

ski_king
12-16-2006, 08:01 AM
any more opinions on my "star" cutout. The wife doesn't care for it, on first glance, she couldn't tell what it was.
I am with your wife on this one. Well, not with your wife, ahhh, you know what I mean.

I would go with standard corners like the photo you posted earlier.

TMCNo1
12-16-2006, 08:24 AM
It sounds cool, but I'm having trouble visualizing it. Maybe a drawing?

Doug, post #16

east tx skier
12-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Doug, post #16

Gotcha. I think it looks great on paper. Although, from a practical standpoint, you might have issues getting skis in and out.

ski_king
12-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Port Length: 89 in.

Port Transom End floor to bottom of coaming pad: 10 3/4 in.
Port Transom End floor to bottom of fibergalss: 12 in.
Port Transom End floor to top of coaming pad: 17 1/4 in.

Port Bow End floor to bottom of coaming pad: 11 1/4 in.
Port Bow End floor to bottom of fibergalss: 12 1/2 in.
Port Bow End floor to top of coaming pad: 17 5/8 in.

Starboard Length: 108 in.

Starboard Transom End floor to bottom of coaming pad: 11 in.
Starboard Transom End floor to bottom of fibergalss: 12 1/2 in.
Starboard Transom End floor to top of coaming pad: 17 7/8 in.

Starboard Bow End floor to bottom of coaming pad: 12 3/4 in.
Starboard Bow End floor to bottom of fibergalss: 13 1/2 in.
Starboard Bow End floor to top of coaming pad: 19 in.

(DISCLAIMER: No warranty is expressed to the accuracy of the above dimensions as I was in a dimly lit garage reading a tape measure that had the graduations half worn off and I had a few beers that had blurred my vision.)

H20skeefreek
12-16-2006, 04:49 PM
AWESOME DUDE, THANKS! It's interesting that some of the measurements aren't the same side to side. That definately gives me a good place to start.

ski_king
12-16-2006, 04:53 PM
...... It's interesting that some of the measurements aren't the same side to side.......t
Read disclaimer...
But port side was a 1/4 in higher at the transom.

TMCNo1
12-16-2006, 05:06 PM
(DISCLAIMER: No warranty is expressed to the accuracy of the above communications as I was in a dimly lit world, using a brain with reduced capacity for sensible words and I had a few beers that had blurred my vision.)

Ski King, I just love the disclaimer!
ETS should include the modified version above in the FAQ thread as required insertion on threads/posts on most all subject matter.:D :D :D I would abide by it!

Jesus_Freak
02-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Yo Freek....you made any progress on this?

H20skeefreek
02-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Actually, I have. I'm at a stand-still in the project, as I need to coat the wood in polyester resin to keep it from rotting. I need 50+ degrees for 12 hours to do that. I may be a ways away from that. But the wood is cut, the carpet is cut, stereo is installed, speakers are ready to be, just waiting on some good weather.

BTW I did scrap the "star" design, it just didn't look right in real life, plus carpeting it was going to suck.

wesgardner
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey H20,

If you're going to invest all that time, please don't use polyester resin...

H20skeefreek
02-02-2007, 12:13 PM
wes, I sell all of this stuff, I've weighed the cost out, and decided on poly b/c this stuff costs me virtually nothing, is non-structural, and not in a constantly wet area. And, if polyester resin was good enough for MasterCraft to build my boat, I'll trust if for a project like this. Thanks for the concern.

Jesus_Freak
02-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey H20,

If you're going to invest all that time, please don't use polyester resin...

Alternate proposal?

Ric
02-02-2007, 01:05 PM
any more opinions on my "star" cutout. The wife doesn't care for it, on first glance, she couldn't tell what it was. I like it . subtle

Jesus_Freak
02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I like it . subtle

That is what this forum is about, right?

Ric
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
YOu people start entering some boat threads here, this is **********!!

H20skeefreek
02-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Alright, she's done. I'm going to need to replace the stereo I put it, it's cutting out, but other than that, it's done. Here are the pictures.

The first 2 pictures are obviously the side "pods" I built. I cut plywood to size, then coated it in resin, then covered in carpet. They are compression fit, so no screws were necessary to attach.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are of the "glove" box I installed. It's a hatch from West Marine that there is an available liner, which I cut for installation of the stereo.

The last picture is of the "footwell box" that I built, it's there to 1. prevent things from rolling out under my feet, such as my anchor, or noodles 2. it protects the ignition wiring from accidental bumping, which has caused me fits before 3. the front piece houses my Sirius satallite radio on the back and 4. may some day house a subwoofer

Thanks for all of the advice and encourgament everyone!

Jesus_Freak
02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Alright, she's done....

This is EXCELLENT work. I might be interested in seeing a couple of more views of your footwell box when you have time.

Sodar
02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice Job there Freek! That is a great idea with the footwell door... I hate crap sliding around under my feet...

H20skeefreek
02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
You may get to see it at CSM, other than that, it's difficult to take pictures of. It's essentially just a 3 sided box, with the side and bow pieces attached together with hinges. Forgive me for not knowing the carpentry term, but the the top piece has "keyways" cut out of it, and the side pieces have "keys" that go into the "key ways" to hold the top piece on, the other side, the starboard side, rests against the side of the hull. Though most of the bow is accessible through the observer seat, if necessary, as Sodar suggested, the front piece could be "opened" to gain access to the starboard bow.

Hope that made sense.

Jesus_Freak
02-26-2007, 04:22 PM
You may get to see it at CSM...

So...are you committing to being there or not?

BTW, the explanation made sense. Thanks.

H20skeefreek
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
lol, I will be there as long as my baby girl hasn't been born yet.