PDA

View Full Version : Garmin E-Trex Legend GPS?

Mikey
12-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I think my wife bought me one of these for christmas. Does anyone have one of these that would care to share their opinion on them? I will just be using it for basic stuff like hunting, hiking, etc.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

Sodar
12-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I have one of the original eTrexs. It has no mapping capabities, but has waypoints and other basic functions. I love the thing... all I use it for is three things.

1) Speed (More accurate than speedos)
2) Waypoints (Gets me to and from the island without having to hump over the compass)
3) In emergency (Mid channel between Catalina, 20 miles from help, I want to make sure they can find me!!)

#47of100TeamMC
12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I have the Legend. Like Sodar said, It's good for speed and waypoints. has a lot of neat functions which I assume you've read on the website you linked. I've used it for finding services at exits on trips cross country. You can look ahead on the freeway to exits and which ones have gas and and food and hotels and such. kinda nice if you don't konw the area you are driving through. You can also get a cd to download more specific town streets and such for more detailed areas. Also works well for fishing spots I think I've seen my accurate to within about 9ft. so for general rec use it works really well. OH and also for snowmobiling in the mountains, You can always find your way back to camp. Like Sodar mentioned... much better than a compass and map. Enjoy!

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I have the old, non-mapping, yellow one as well. Great for what I use it for. Speed and waypoints.

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 11:40 AM
The legend is great, it is a mapping unit. If it's a Legend C, it's awesome. It can even do turn-by-turn directions in the car like a streetpilot.

Mikey
12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
The legend is great, it is a mapping unit. If it's a Legend C, it's awesome. It can even do turn-by-turn directions in the car like a streetpilot.

Its the regular Legend not the "C". She couldnt beat the deal. It was on sale for the same price as the basic yellow etrex. Does the regular Legend have the capability for turn-by-turn directions?

Jesus_Freak
12-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Minor thread jackage....what is the cheapest way I can calibrate boat speed, as in the cheapest, bottom-of-the-line GPS that is reliable?

Sodar
12-13-2006, 12:03 PM
You can get an original eTrex Legend for less than $100...

Mikey
12-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Minor thread jackage....what is the cheapest way I can calibrate boat speed, as in the cheapest, bottom-of-the-line GPS that is reliable?

From what I have seen the basic garmin etrex or the Magellan explorist 100 is about the cheapest ones I have seen. Apparently the Garmin is reliable but Im not sure about the Magellan.

Mikey
12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
You can get an original eTrex Legend for less than $100...

Yes it was one of those "Black Friday" sales at Bass Pro Shops. I doubt I will ever see them on sale like that again.

Sodar
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
$99.99 here!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/23380/0/0/etrex/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

Mikey
12-13-2006, 12:10 PM
On sale at Bass Pro for $89.99

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20928&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

Jesus_Freak
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Cool. Thank you gentlemen.

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Now guys, the etrex, and the etrex Legend are NOT the same thing. If you got an etrex legend for 100 bucks, you got a good deal, I think they usually retail for around 150 now. They used to be like 400! I think they are dsq now and not being made anymore.

The regular etrex legend- blue case, non-color screen CANNOT do turn-by-turn directions, only "as the crow fly's".

bigmac
12-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Its the regular Legend not the "C". She couldnt beat the deal. It was on sale for the same price as the basic yellow etrex. Does the regular Legend have the capability for turn-by-turn directions?

The is no "C" anymore, now it's the Legend Cx. The Legend Cx is quite a bit more sophisticated, the regular Legend much more basic. Both are mapping units and you can upload from MapSource, but the regular legend only has 8mb of memory and isn't expandable so the amount of mapping info it will handle is very limited. The nice thing about the Cx is that you can switch SD cards to get from map to map, otherwise new maps have to uploaded from a computer - rather tedious because the Legend only has a standard (RS232) serial connection - very slow compared to the Legend Cx's USB port. Also, the regular legend has about 1/2 the battery life.

On the positive side, the Legend is very capable as a basic GPS unit, and it's a lot of GPS for the buck. Likely cheaper these days because its discontinuation is imminent.

Sodar
12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Now guys, the etrex, and the etrex Legend are NOT the same thing. If you got an etrex legend for 100 bucks, you got a good deal, I think they usually retail for around 150 now. They used to be like 400! I think they are dsq now and not being made anymore.

The regular etrex legend- blue case, non-color screen CANNOT do turn-by-turn directions, only "as the crow fly's".

I think the eTrex Legend is yellow... I THINK?!?, but you are correct that it does not do turn by turn.

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 01:36 PM
No, the eTrex is yellow, the eTrex Legend is transluscent blue.

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html#basic

Mikey
12-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I think the eTrex Legend is yellow... I THINK?!?, but you are correct that it does not do turn by turn.

The etrex legend is translucent blue. The basic Etrex is yellow.

Mikey
12-13-2006, 01:40 PM
You beat me to it skeefreek!

Sodar
12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Well Slap me and call me stupid! I guess I don't get it because on the Garmin website the eTrex (no suffix) is yellow. I have an old yellow one, (just says eTrex on it). I guess I am lost! I'll just shut up now and find my way home with my eTrex!

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM

Cheaper still ist a stopwatch and running it through a slalom course that you don't own/maintain.

Jesus_Freak
12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Cheaper still ist a stopwatch and running it through a slalom course that you don't own/maintain.

Yes, great point! Thank you.

bcampbe7
12-13-2006, 02:27 PM

That's awesome, but where did you find bindings to fit the stopwatch? What's you PB on the stopwatch? :D

Jesus_Freak
12-13-2006, 02:47 PM
That's awesome, but where did you find bindings to fit the stopwatch? What's you PB on the stopwatch? :D

That is hilarious.

I'm actually more worried about deep water starts than bindings.

Mikey
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
My suspicions were right. Santa brought me an e-trex legend. Now for a few technical questions. The manual gives only a brief description of the WAAS system. My question is what is it and do you guys use your GPS with the WAAS system enabled or disabled? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the WAAS enabled? Do you have trouble getting sattelite signal while riding in a vehicle? Mine seems to be real weak in the truck but as soon as I step out it seems to be better. Is there anything that I can do to boost the signal strength? It also seems like I get little or no signal when it is cloudy and raining, which really sucks because I do alot of hunting in nasty weather. Does anyone else have this problem? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer as I am a dummy when it comes to high tech electronics.

bigmac
12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
My suspicions were right. Santa brought me an e-trex legend. Now for a few technical questions. The manual gives only a brief description of the WAAS system. My question is what is it and do you guys use your GPS with the WAAS system enabled or disabled? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the WAAS enabled? Do you have trouble getting sattelite signal while riding in a vehicle? Mine seems to be real weak in the truck but as soon as I step out it seems to be better. Is there anything that I can do to boost the signal strength? It also seems like I get little or no signal when it is cloudy and raining, which really sucks because I do alot of hunting in nasty weather. Does anyone else have this problem? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer as I am a dummy when it comes to high tech electronics.

WAAS is designed for instrument landing systems and improves accuracy significantly for all GPS units that can use it. No disadvantage to enabling it except that it can take a little longer for the unit to get a fix. Also, note that the satellite component is geostationary, therefore low in the sky if you're too far north, or far enough north that terrain features might block your unit's access to those WAAS satellites. Shouldn't be a problem in Louisiana.

The etrex units all have built-in antennas and no capability for attaching an external antenna. I have an external antenna on my GPSV and boy does that improve the signal, otherwise it works for me most of the time to keep the thing on the dashboard.

MarkP
12-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey!!!
I got one too!!! HAPPY Christmas to me as well!!
I plan to use my legend for boat speed and to follow “tracks” or to backtrack from the far end of new lakes while on vacation..

I wanted it mostly for mountain biking (finding the way home in new woods/trails.. And overlaying the “tracks” on the computer (MapSource US TOPO) to put together seamless routs..

It is true that without the new “SiRF” gps chip you will have a less reliable signal. So if your looking for the cats whiskers the legend isn’t it.. I like my legend so far but haven’t had it in the woods yet. It stinks that it has to be laying on the dash to get a good signal when in the car but I really didn’t want it for the car anyway. I am a little worried about its performance once the trees leaf up in the spring..

If I wanted my gps to be worth more than my bike I guess I could get the killer (for my application) 60CSx http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CSOXTO/ruggedelegance10851-20/ref=nosim (http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CSOXTO/ruggedelegance10851-20/ref=nosim) But I think I’m going to be alright with what I have..
A little more info.. http://gpsinformation.net/etrexlegend.htm (http://gpsinformation.net/etrexlegend.htm)

Play with it and have fun;) !!!!

H20skeefreek
12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
WAAS will also drastically decrease battery life