PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tours??

boxman3
12-27-2004, 08:41 PM
What's the deal on doing the tour thing?? Where is Vonore, TN?????

gene dobies
12-28-2004, 08:10 AM
What's the deal on doing the tour thing?? Where is Vonore, TN?????
Vonore is about a half hour south of Knoxvill, TN. I was at the factory December 8th to see my boat in process. I was a little disappointed only because it was still in the mold. The tours are given Monday thru Thursday usually at 2PM. You should try to make arrangements a day or two ahead of time if you can. Tour is great, they are truly the best made ski boats out there, I think. They are very up front and let you take pics all you want. They are in the Telico West Industrial Park. In the same park is Shorestation, right next door. Sea Ray boats is on the same street. They tell me you should try to arrange a tour with them just because they make such big boats, supposed to be impressive. Also Yamaha jet boats is in the same park, called Tennessee Watercraft. Malibu boats is only about a half hour away and OJ Props is in that Industrial Park.

Bugsrus
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Just took my tour last week. Very impressive. I recommend it to any MC owner/fan. The guy giving the tour was very knowledgable and willing to answer all our questions. They take you through the whole process, mold prep to assemble to trailer building.

And at the end you get a free t-shirt saying you took a factory tour. They also have a small pro-shop if you want some other souvenirs.

Just call the factory and tell them you would like to arrange to take a tour. The # is 800-443-8774.

TTAdmin
04-07-2005, 01:31 PM
bugsrus...who gave you the tour? Do you remember their name?

H2OGirl
04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I just had my tour of the factory, it was increadiable. I have a whole new appreciation for the boat I own. I got to see some new things MC is working on like a hull redesign for the X-2. I would also recommend a tour for anyone, it was awesome!! I also was introduced to some of the people helping my husband and I with our troubles we are having.

Waketn
04-22-2005, 10:19 AM
I went on a factory tour last month. I was extremely impressed. I could really see the quality of an MC! Each stage of the build was explained great. :)

gene dobies
04-23-2005, 12:45 PM
The tour made me realize how really labor intensive building a boat is. It's not like an auto assembly line, where everything falls into place. It's all human assembly and individual person assembling of things and the labor of handlaying the fiberglass and rolling out of air bubbles. You begin to see why these boats are expensive, not to mention the research and engineering that goes on behind the scenes to make them what they are.

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 02:57 AM
Does it justify 50+K?

Leroy
04-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Well, yes it does.

The tour is great. We went on it a year ago Easter with another family from Carmel. You really don't know how thick the hulls are until you see a plug they have drilled out.
Does it justify 50+K?

Ric
06-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Did the tour yesterday.

What a fantastic experience! These boats really are hand made!
They make almost every part of your boat right there at the plant.
Among the overwhelming amount of boats we saw being built, I must have seen 8 or more 280's in process. That is one BIG mold! One of them even had the saltwater series motors, so we got to give them a look.

On the way toward Vonore on I-40, we passed 3 indmar trucks and found another one at MC when we arrived! Hundreds of towers were lined up for install and Hundreds of people cutting, sewing and stapling MC seats and trim. All that and they have a helluva view of the lake out their office door.
Those guys hand build ALOT of boats! If you love boats like I do, the tour is a must.

Ric
06-16-2005, 02:49 PM
message has been edited