PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for Trailer (anyone used these)

rlivingood
12-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Thinking about all the gifts to get my wife :-) And I ran across the usual tool kits, electronics, computers, camera stuff, but this stood out:

http://www.airsafehitches.com/receiver_hitches.html

Anyone ever used one of these or have an opinion?

Actually more for me and I'll think of something better for her.

Rod

jimmer2880
12-11-2006, 06:46 AM
That's an aweful lot of $$$'s for something I don't currently see as a problem (at least in my towing). You'd think if it was a problem, that the big rig's would have some sort of air-ride hitch by now.

maybe I'm wrong - definately been wrong before :)

Sodar
12-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Wow! That thing is intense! I guess it is more for comfort than neccessity. I have towed very big boats before 40'+ and never seen one of these. I would think that the horizontal push and pull would be more damaging that the vertical motion...

bigmac
12-11-2006, 08:31 AM
IMHO, a waste of money. By far, the best way to improve trailer handling, especially on tow vehicles that are anywhere close to their capacity, is a weight-distributing hitch (http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=354).

atlfootr
12-11-2006, 08:45 AM
And I ran across the usual tool kits, but this stood out: RodWhy not put that on your list and let us know how well it works ...

rlivingood
12-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Yea maybe. I too haven't had any problems with my tow. Since my tow is a F350 LB V10 which weights about twice as much as the boat and trailer combined I never even feel the pull.

Also, I am wondering about the compression breaking system on the trailer with something like that. Might be a good idea with the electric breaks, but not sure about the std breaks on the MC trailer with this type of action.

Just saw it and passed it along to the Team to add something new for information.

Rod

dichdoc
12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
We have the class 8 for pulling our hazmat trailer at work. Hooks an F 550 to an insanely large and heavy trailer. Pulls fine I think the bill was 2-3 grand for the thing. takes two guys to lift and install. Not something I'd buy to pull my boat never really had a problem with just a regular hitch on an 01 Yukon.