PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Things I Have Seen

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 12:55 AM
So as some of you know I referee basketball. Mostly High School and College but here of late, to make a couple of extra bucks, rec league. Saturday I had a game between 2 8th grade boys teams. Team A blew a 20 point lead. The game was tied with time winding down and this kid goes up for a shot from the elbow. He gets mugged and I call the foul. .4 seconds left (for those of you who know basketball with .3 seconds left there is only time for a tap not a catch and shoot). Some of the fans are going crazy. Kid makes the first free-throw and the assistant coach goes nuts - technical foul for him, the head coach goes nuts - technical foul for him. After we shoot the free throws (which none were made) team A inbounds the ball and the game is over Team A wins by 1. So as me and my partner are standing there waiting on the next game this mom comes out of the stands and tells us we suck and that we can kiss her arse. It is a felony in the state of Georgia to assault officials and my partner warns her that he can have her arrested. We assume she leaves, as we are telling the gym management what had happened she walks by and slaps her big 'ol arse, they then inform us that she is the team mom. I find this rather amusing as it is funny to me that people think that I care who wins an 8th grade basketball game.

This is not an uncommon occurrence. People have absolutely lost their minds.

If there is interest in the crazy goings on that a basketball official sees during the course of a year I will be more than happy to share.

I suck.

Lakey.

Carbon Dreams
12-11-2006, 03:38 AM
I feel you man...Try soccer mom's and dad's. Yikes! Like it really matters! I thought sports for kids was to teach them how to work as a team and good sportsmanship???

Thank goodness you don't ref in the inner city, or do you? Can you say Ballistics Vest...:confused:

What is up with people.

Keep movin' North:rolleyes:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Lakey, you suck.

Great story!:uglyhamme :headbang:

Got any others like that? :popcorn:

ski_king
12-11-2006, 09:44 AM
You can see all types at basketball games, the younger the kids, the crazier.

I could tell you a story about a certain NFL coachs wife that went nuts at a 7th grade girls basketball game I was at, but I won't.

12-11-2006, 09:56 AM
You can see all types at basketball games, the younger the kids, the crazier.

I could tell you a story about a certain NFL coachs wife that went nuts at a 7th grade girls basketball game I was at, but I won't.
OH please do!:popcorn: :popcorn:

trickskier
12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey LP,

It's amazing to me how many parents try to re-live their childhood through their children. My son plays baseball, basketball & swims during the summer. This is his first year in High School so he decided to tryout for football. He's 14, 5'10", and wears a size 12 shoe.

He went out for QB and was leading the competion when politics stepped in. The father of one of the boys trying out for QB is a big contributor to the school. He was at practice everday, knew the coaches and convinced (told) them that my son should be the starting tailback and his son (5'2") should be the QB. His son is so small that when he was standing in the huddle, the top of his helmet came to the bottom of the shoulder pads of the rest of the players.

The coaches told my son that he was a better athlete and that the only position the other kid could play was QB since he was so small.

What's sad is they had a lot of good tallent on the team and could have probably won a few games if they had a QB that could see over the line. It was extremely frustrating for my wife and I to sit in the stands knowing that our son should have been the QB. On the other hand as a proud father he did a great job at tailback. He scored 5 touchdowns in 6 games and threw for 2. The other kid had 17 interceptions and threw for 1 TD.

My son and the other kids earned a starting position on the team. It's sad when money can buy you the best position on the team and you're not qualified to even be on the field.

OBTW, the kids father was a QB in college........GO FIGURE!

RexDog1
12-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I was at my 6 year olds soccer game, the women that was the coach, was is the key word…….The team was 5 and 6 year old of boys and girls,:cool: 8p well the game was 2/2
At the ˝ time brake, the coach took her 5-year-old daughter who was on the team and told her to take off the uniform, Then put it on her 8 year old son to play,
It only took about 1 minute for the other team to see what was going on,
I had no idea what was going on (am not to bright:confused: ) well the coach was banned
For life, and the team had to for fit the game…

It is so crazy out there :eek3:

Ric
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
well was her arse worth slapping?

12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
OH man, these stories are hilarious, anyone got any more to share?:popcorn: :popcorn:

RexDog1
12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
OH man, these stories are hilarious, anyone got any more to share?:popcorn: :popcorn:

Well UMP
Have I ever told you about the Mom at the BMX track, I had to take
Behind the snack shop?

12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Well UMP
Have I ever told you about the Mom at the BMX track, I had to take
Behind the snack shop?
NO Rex, please tell!:D this IS a family board remember! ;)

trickskier
12-11-2006, 12:20 PM
UMP, I have hundreds of stories.....you would not believe how many parents think they are going to retire on their son or daughter's professional contract. And they believe this from about the time the kids are 6. Sad part is they usually burn their kids out and they quit.

My kids play sports because it's what they want to do. My wife and I have never pushed them to do sports.

JimN
12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
"OBTW, the kids father was a QB in college........GO FIGURE!"

But he wasn't in the NFL and he's not the only contributor to the school. Have him go up in front of the other parents and explain why, exactly, his son is the best for the position and tell him that if he wants his kid to fulfill his fantasies, they should go somewhere else. If his kid is 5'2" and is the best, fine. My HS team had a QB who was fairly short but he was a good QB. Would have been better if he had been able so see over the others, though. The rest of the team probably wanted to win, this guy just wanted his kid to be the star, which he couldn't be, since he was throwing the ball away like Brett Farv...ra, last year.

Selfish bastich!

JimN
12-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Rex- so, you took her back there to "explain the intricacies of BMX racing", right?

TMCNo1
12-11-2006, 12:39 PM
well was her arse worth slapping?

He said "big 'ol arse", maybe she was inviting them to a Bar-B-Q!

Maristar210
12-11-2006, 12:41 PM
UMP, I have hundreds of stories.....you would not believe how many parents think they are going to retire on their son or daughter's professional contract. And they believe this from about the time the kids are 6. Sad part is they usually burn their kids out and they quit.

My kids play sports because it's what they want to do. My wife and I have never pushed them to do sports.

Having been a coach for quite a few years now (BB & FB) I can assure you I have seen some people behave like adolescents in a number of cases. I have been pretty calm and cool except for one self appointed assistant coach spent each game in the dugout of the BB (8 year olds) games. He always insisted "we lay down a bunt" I always said they're 8. They can't hit well yet and you wnat to confuse them with bunting?

Bad idea. I tolerated it throughout the season, he would chastise his kid when struck out and point out his flaws even when he did well. This too I tolerated.

In the third round of the playoffs we were in over our heads. Our kids were doing everything right and making no mistakes. We were down by one with one person on first and the self appointed assistant began exclaiming "we need to bunt"... Steve "we HAVE TO bunt" I said no we will not bunt we will get a hit like we have all year. He then was really pissed because I refused to engage in games of trickery to help our cause. He came up to me and told me I was making a stupid mistake and then and only then did I turn to him, step forward and got my nose an inch from his and I said in a soft breath "Are you the coach of the ****ing team?" He replied no I said "are we going to have a ****ing problem right here and now?" he said no. all the while I looked him square in the eye he was looking at the ground. I turned around and said good. The same batter 60 seconds later hit a double and we won the game.

I have his name and address if anyone wants to send him a sh!t sandwich....

Ric
12-11-2006, 12:44 PM
He said "big 'ol arse", maybe she was inviting them to a Bar-B-Q! Oh my Gawd that is funny !!!!

Ric
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Having been a coach for quite a few years now (BB & FB) I can assure you I have seen some people behave like adolescents in a number of cases. I have been pretty calm and cool except for one self appointed assistant coach spent each game in the dugout of the BB (8 year olds) games. He always insisted "we lay down a bunt" I always said they're 8. They can't hit well yet and you wnat to confuse them with bunting?

Bad idea. I tolerated it throughout the season, he would chastise his kid when struck out and point out his flaws even when he did well. This too I tolerated.

In the third round of the playoffs we were in over our heads. Our kids were doing everything right and making no mistakes. We were down by one with one person on first and the self appointed assistant began exclaiming "we need to bunt"... Steve "we HAVE TO bunt" I said no we will not bunt we will get a hit like we have all year. He then was really pissed because I refused to engage in games of trickery to help our cause. He came up to me and told me I was making a stupid mistake and then and only then did I turn to him, step forward and got my nose an inch from his and I said in a soft breath "Are you the coach of the ****ing team?" He replied no I said "are we going to have a ****ing problem right here and now?" he said no. all the while I looked him square in the eye he was looking at the ground. I turned around and said good. The same batter 60 seconds later hit a double and we won the game.

I have his mane and address if anyone wants to send him a sh!t sandwich....

"NO BUSINESS! NO BUSINESS!!!!"

phecksel
12-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Our high school volleyball team has had several controversy's over team selection and playing time. My youngest played on the junior high team for fun (same coach). It was hilarious when they went to districts, as he had to combine the 7th & 8th grade players and cull the qty to one team. Several of us were shaking our head at his selections. I really didn't care if he selected our daughter, but he was apparently pissed off we did not put her on his traveling team. She's a good player, not a great player, and her primary sport is running. It wasn't worth our spending any money for her to continue. Needless to say, the team got stomped on pretty bad.

The level of competition, even at the Middle school level is getting unbelievable. Last year, the youngest was intentionally injured by an opponent during a cross country race. One of my biggest regrets in life was not immediately calling the police. Literally ruined the rest of the season, and even a year later still has problems. We did work with the state athletic association, and the team was banned from league and post season competitions for this year. As we found out this year, their fears of her perfomance was well founded. Without working as hard as she should have {big frustration to me}, she set the schools 3rd all time XC time. It was fantastic to see the coach from her nemisis team come to her and congratulate her on a great season. They drove each other to some fantastic achievements and great finishes. Carrying that same stamina and endurance into swimming, is currently doing some fantastic things.

Ric
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Our high school volleyball team has had several controversy's over team selection and playing time. . controversy at the high school level for these issues is VERY common from what I have seen
too mank kids, too few spots... Dare I say it.... nope, all of you can figure out ... (I'll give you a hint... decisions made on emotions)

trickskier
12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
But he wasn't in the NFL and he's not the only contributor to the school. Have him go up in front of the other parents and explain why, exactly, his son is the best for the position and tell him that if he wants his kid to fulfill his fantasies, they should go somewhere else. If his kid is 5'2" and is the best, fine. My HS team had a QB who was fairly short but he was a good QB. Would have been better if he had been able so see over the others, though. The rest of the team probably wanted to win, this guy just wanted his kid to be the star, which he couldn't be, since he was throwing the ball away like Brett Farv...ra, last year.

Selfish bastich!

I agree with you, unfortunately we know this family well, and my son spends a lot of time at their house. This is the only place that I have been able to vent. I would like to do as you suggest, but trust me the politics are so strong at this school it would only hurt my son in the long run. Their are a lot of kids that are better athletes at this school that don't get a chance to play because their parents "contribute" and pressure the staff to play their kids.

My son was extremely disappointed when he was relegated to tailback, but in all actuality he probably got more playing time as he was the go to guy. The fact that he threw a touchdown on a rollout before the QB did was satisfying for me.

It's funny that you mentioned Bret Favre. This kid was actually telling the other players that he was sooooo good and compared himself with Favre!!!! Two words......son = delusional, father = egotistical.

Maristar210
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
It's funny that you mentioned Bret Favre. This kid was actually telling the other players that he was sooooo good and compared himself with Favre!!!! Two words......son = delusional, father = egotistical.

and Moms got a rack that won't quit but she's as dumb as a box of hammers.

Am I close?

12-11-2006, 01:05 PM

Am I close?
Its not fair to discriminate against hammers like that Staristar.

trickskier
12-11-2006, 01:10 PM

Am I close?

No, you missed on that one. She's a petite woman, actually taller than her son........:uglyhamme

However, I can see how you would have thought that.

JimN
12-11-2006, 01:10 PM
"and Moms got a rack that won't quit but she's as dumb as a box of hammers."

PERFECT! Just the kind of wife a lot of Q-backs want.

Maristar210
12-11-2006, 01:13 PM
No, you missed on that one. She's a petite woman, actually taller than her son........:uglyhamme

However, I can see how you would have thought that.

hmmmmm......

JimN
12-11-2006, 01:13 PM
"This kid was actually telling the other players that he was sooooo good and compared himself with Favre!!!!"

The good Favre or the bad one? The good one showed up yesterday but he was apparently shoved into a duffle bag full of laundry for a couple of weeks before. That, or the evil Favre got the good one hammered and put him on a bus with a one-way ticket but no money.

trickskier
12-11-2006, 01:25 PM
The good Favre or the bad one? The good one showed up yesterday but he was apparently shoved into a duffle bag full of laundry for a couple of weeks before. That, or the evil Favre got the good one hammered and put him on a bus with a one-way ticket but no money.

It doesn't really matter if it was the good or bad Favre. This kid will never be the caliper of player Favre is or was.

Ric
12-11-2006, 01:27 PM
It doesn't really matter if it was the good or bad Favre. This kid will never be the caliper of player Favre is or was. like a fin caliber? 8p

Maristar210
12-11-2006, 01:30 PM
It doesn't really matter if it was the good or bad Favre. This kid will never be the caliper of player Favre is or was.

IMO

Coach needs to grow a set.

Coach needs to define what he expects on the field and if the kid can't comply and someone else can then dad "I played in college" should buy a really comfortable set of benches for his son to watch from. Like I said JMO.

Doug Flutie was a great QB he was just hindered by lack of height. All the talent in the world will not make you taller. Sounds like this kid has neither.

BOL -

Ric
12-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Drew Brees is not a tall fella either

Leroy
12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Way to go Lakey, ruin these poor kids lives!

I see this all the time......two years ago at a soccer match we had a dad swing at another dad, he missed and hit his own wife knocking her out! This one made most newspapers.

Jesus_Freak
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Way to go Lakey, ruin these poor kids lives!

I see this all the time......two years ago at a soccer match we had a dad swing at another dad, he missed and hit his own wife knocking her out! This one made most newspapers.

Now, that would have been COOL to see....not for the kids' sakes...but just to see it happen.

12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Steve, and Jim, quit bringing hammers into this.

TMCNo1
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Crazy Things I Have Seen,
A TT member was wearing a costume cape, hood and goggles in a picture at a gathering of MC owners, skiing on a defective Monza and perched on top of a houseboat. I sure hope his parents didn't put him up to that!

Then, in the winter, he dresses up in this costume in the UP and he does this,

12-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I am just trimming my toe nails there. Dont hate me because I am beautiful.

TMCNo1
12-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Crazy Things I Have Seen,
A TT member was wearing a costume cape, hood and goggles in a picture at a gathering of MC owners, skiing on a defective Monza and perched on top of a houseboat. I sure hope his parents didn't put him up to that!

Yea sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I had this big long post but deleted it because I wanted to keep this fun.

For those of you watching basketball this year I have a few tips to help make the game more enjoyable.

1) 3 seconds is not called because someone has had their big toe in the lane for 2.5 seconds. Every time a shot is attempted, no matter how poor an attempt it is, the 3 second clock restarts. If you are yelling at the top of your lungs " 3 Seconds!" I don't need to call it as you have already alerted everyone in the gym that there is an issue.

2) Traveling - If a referee were to call every instance of traveling during a basketball game then I would still be in the first half of my first game (9 years ago). If a player gains an advantage because he/she traveled, sure we are going to call it, if a player makes it blatantly obvious, we are going to call it. However, if a player A makes contact with player B causing player B to travel and player B continues play we are not going to call that. Be careful what you wish for as we can assess a foul that had been passed on and then the travel doesn't matter now does it?

3) No one comes to see the officials. We are trying to maintain the integrity of the game with as little trouble as possible. Much like Beau and Eastie. Officials would love to work a game with no fouls, no violations and no out of bounds plays. That would be awesome...out of there in 32 minutes.

Ric
12-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I had this big long post but deleted it because I wanted to keep this fun.

For those of you watching basketball this year I have a few tips to help make the game more enjoyable.

1) 3 seconds is not called because someone has had their big toe in the lane for 2.5 seconds. Every time a shot is attempted, no matter how poor an attempt it is, the 3 second clock restarts. If you are yelling at the top of your lungs " 3 Seconds!" I don't need to call it as you have already alerted everyone in the gym that there is an issue.

2) Traveling - If a referee were to call every instance of traveling during a basketball game then I would still be in the first half of my first game (9 years ago). If a player gains an advantage because he/she traveled, sure we are going to call it, if a player makes it blatantly obvious, we are going to call it. However, if a player A makes contact with player B causing player B to travel and player B continues play we are not going to call that. Be careful what you wish for as we can assess a foul that had been passed on and then the travel doesn't matter now does it?

3) No one comes to see the officials. We are trying to maintain the integrity of the game with as little trouble as possible. Much like Beau and Eastie. Officials would love to work a game with no fouls, no violations and no out of bounds plays. That would be awesome...out of there in 32 minutes. whatever zebra!

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Ok one more for today

A couple of years ago I was working a high school game between 2 rival schools/towns in west Georgia. I was supposed to be in a 3 man crew but one of my partners did not show so it was just 2. The partner who did show was from around the area and was recently famous for stabbing a parent after a rec league game.

Now, for some reason it was acceptable for the fans to stand on the sidelines. Literally toeing the line around the court about 4 deep. I had asked the Sheriff's deputy to move them but after the puzzled look at my request I gave up. This place was packed. Everyone in the gym had a different melatonin level than mine except for the head football coach.

Needless to say the game went into overtime. There was a play where the visiting team was driving to the basket when a player from the home team knocked the ball out of bounds on the end line. My partner could not see this and asked for help, I pointed toward the direction of the visiting team. At that moment 2 gentlemen rushed onto the court to inform me that I was F in crazy what the F was I thinking. These fine men realized that they were standing on the court yelling at the referee at the 28 foot line (for reference the 3 point line is 19'9") and scampered back to the end line. I pointed at the deputy and told him to remove the young men from the gym. He went over and talked to them as did the head football coach. I began to walk over to the table, turned around and saw the Deputy and the Coach walking away and the two gentlemen still standing there. I walked back over to the Deputy and informed him that they are to be ejected from the building and if he didn't do that we were not playing any more basketball. He looked at me and said "you want me to throw them out?" my retort: YES!

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
whatever zebra!

Nuts and bolts
Nuts and bolts
We got Screwed!

trickskier
12-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I am just trimming my toe nails there. Dont hate me because I am beautiful.

Whoa.....glad you cleared that one up UMP. For a minute there I you were trying to perform a procedure.......:D

TMCNo1
12-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Whoa.....glad you cleared that one up UMP. For a minute there I you were trying to perform a procedure.......:D

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Lord help me! Don't let me post the picture I wanted to post!!!!!!

TMCNo1
12-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Nuts and bolts
Nuts and bolts
We got Screwed!

Yep, that's the pic I wanted to post of the bear!

TMCNo1
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
UMP just wanted to be sure he still had it before he did this,

JimN
12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
"It doesn't really matter if it was the good or bad Favre."

It's a sure thing that he'll never be as good as the "handful of Vicodin and a six pack" Favre.

trickskier
12-11-2006, 05:09 PM
"It doesn't really matter if it was the good or bad Favre."

It's a sure thing that he'll never be as good as the "handful of Vicodin and a six pack" Favre.
Agreed....I just needed to VENT!!! :rant:

Ric
12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Nuts and bolts
Nuts and bolts
We got Screwed! get off your knees ref, you are **** the game!

cbryan70
12-11-2006, 06:19 PM
ohhhh the things we use to yell at ref's and players in highschool basketball.....i would have never wanted to come to our highschool for a basketball game....those poor refs, if i were them i may have left crying

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 06:20 PM
get off your knees ref, you are **** the game!

I've seen better calls from a pay phone.

We got a rope
We got a tree
All we need 's a referee
Hang 'em oooohhooohh Hang 'em

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
ohhhh the things we use to yell at ref's and players in highschool basketball.....i would have never wanted to come to our highschool for a basketball game....those poor refs, if i were them i may have left crying

Most of them probably left laughing their arse off.

I love educated fans who yell interesting things.

Oh and don't worry we know who is yelling what. It may take us a couple of trips up and down the court be we know.

milkmania
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I agree with you, unfortunately we know this family well, and my son spends a lot of time at their house. This is the ony place that I have been able to vent. I would like to do as you suggest, but trust me the politics are so strong at this school it would only hurt my son in the long run. Their are a lot of kids that are better athletes at this school that don't get a chance to play because their parents "contribute" and pressure the staff to play their kids.

My son was extremely disappointed when he was relegated to tailback, but in all actuality he probably got more playing time as he was the go to guy. The fact that he threw a touchdown on a rollout before the QB did was satisfying for me.

exactly what happened when I stood up to "the man"!

milkmania
12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I've seen better calls from a pay phone.

....writing that one down:uglyhamme

you got anymore?:popcorn:

cbryan70
12-11-2006, 06:29 PM
hahah educated fans......hmmmmmi wouldnt go that far lets just say our crowd had a bad rap with not so clean hazings....the worst games are girls games.....parents dont like when daughters get yelled at

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
....writing that one down:uglyhamme

you got anymore?:popcorn:

I will think on it....Not a lot of originality anymore.

hahah educated fans......hmmmmmi wouldnt go that far lets just say our crowd had a bad rap with not so clean hazings....the worst games are girls games.....parents dont like when daughters get yelled at

As a freshman and sophomore our crowd was pretty nasty as well. There was a really tall gril from the rich high school that we called Punky Brewster. They made us take our signs down but we still chanted Pun-kee Pun-kee Pun-kee

milkmania
12-11-2006, 06:59 PM
As a freshman and sophomore our crowd was pretty nasty as well. There was a really tall gril from the rich high school that we called Punky Brewster. They made us take our signs down but we still chanted Pun-kee Pun-kee Pun-kee

oh you rebel, you!

probably had a pack of Marlboro rolled up in your sleeve, didn't ya8p

LakePirate
12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
oh you rebel, you!

probably had a pack of Marlboro rolled up in your sleeve, didn't ya8p

No but that can of snuff sure was making a ring in my back pocket

:cool:

kurtr
12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I took a pair of safety glasses that I had painted the glass lens black and gave them to my buddy who was a hockey ref. I told him to put them on and skate by both benches.