PDA

View Full Version : re-installation of impeller

H20skeefreek
12-27-2004, 02:48 PM
when re-installing an impeller that has already been used, which way should the bent vanes go. I know i installed one backwards one time, and it wouldn't turn. trying to de-winterize for the weekend.

kjohnson
12-27-2004, 03:00 PM
It doesn't matter. As soon as you start the engine, the vanes will align themselves correctly.

H20skeefreek
12-27-2004, 03:11 PM
It doesn't matter. As soon as you start the engine, the vanes will align themselves correctly.

cool, thanks!! When i did it before, i think the impeller had been in for a long time and had stiffened up. therefore, when i started the motor with them bent the wrong way, it gave too much resistance and didn't let the pump turn and realign them. this impeller is only 1/2 a season old.

Thanks!

G-man
12-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Put it in just before you go to the water. Coat it in silicone grease or binding lube so it has some lubication while it turns over. I twisted the impeller clockwise to get the veins in the correct orientation.

OhioProstar
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
I just use dish soap....Silicone grease can still break down the rubber, can't it?

G-man
01-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Silicone grease will not break up or dry out black rubber. A oil base lubricant like WD-40 will in time break down rubber. Soap is fine also.

pdoppenheim
01-05-2005, 07:06 PM
A new impeller is cheap insurance. If a blade comes off the impeller, it travels through your cooling system until it reaches a place it can't transit and then it lodges. Yes, it can be acid boiled out, or blown out backwards, but do you really want to spend the time doing that instead of skiing?

Any impeller is slightly damaged by the puller when removing it. They are even more damaged by when screwdrivers and/or pliers are used to remove them. If your impeller is so old that the blades have taken a set, scrap it. They can be bought at an auto supply store for a lot less than the $40.00 the M/C dealers want. Auto parts price is $15.00 to $25.00. Get one at M/C then take it to your auto store and duplicate it.

Also, put on a new gasket with every new impeller. Don't forget the lube.

H20skeefreek
01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
A new impeller is cheap insurance. If a blade comes off the impeller, it travels through your cooling system until it reaches a place it can't transit and then it lodges. Yes, it can be acid boiled out, or blown out backwards, but do you really want to spend the time doing that instead of skiing?

Any impeller is slightly damaged by the puller when removing it. They are even more damaged by when screwdrivers and/or pliers are used to remove them. If your impeller is so old that the blades have taken a set, scrap it. They can be bought at an auto supply store for a lot less than the $40.00 the M/C dealers want. Auto parts price is $15.00 to $25.00. Get one at M/C then take it to your auto store and duplicate it.

Also, put on a new gasket with every new impeller. Don't forget the lube.

My impeller was new 2 months ago, took it out for winterization, but it back in when i decided to ski. and as far as damage with a puller, and '85 with a pcm requires no puller, or screwdriver for that matter. I lubed it up, and it turned the right way with no problems. I'm skiing tomorrow!!! SC weather is great!!

Jim@BAWS
01-05-2005, 10:59 PM
You cannot put a impeller in backwards but... you can reinstall a waterpump housing the wrong way on a PCM motor. Mark the pump housing before you disassemble it. There is a small drain screw on the housing. Hope this helps

Jim@BAWS

jimmer2880
01-06-2005, 07:21 AM
.... They can be bought at an auto supply store for a lot less than the $40.00 the M/C dealers want. Auto parts price is $15.00 to $25.00. Get one at M/C then take it to your auto store and duplicate it.
Do you have any idea what I need to tell the guy behind the counter at the auto-parts store? I just always assumed it was marine only, so I always get mine from skidim.

pdoppenheim
01-06-2005, 12:08 PM
There are only a few makers of impellers in the US. Jabsco is probably the biggest. You may even see manufacturer's markings on the new impeller. I'd go to a M/C dealer and buy one, then take it to a real auto parts store or marine store and have them match it. If you're near a BOAT/US or WEST MARINE store they can match it more quickly than an auto parts store. Just make sure you talk with somebody with a brain at the store.

Remember that we're all running marinized vessions of auto engines. While I'm on the subject, you can get an oil filter from an auto parts store for about half what M/C charges to repackage and resell one to you.

Don't forget the new gasket.

ski_king
01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
... you can reinstall a waterpump housing the wrong way on a PCM motor. Mark the pump housing before you disassemble it.....

I know this.... Don't ask me how I know.

pdoppenheim
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
My impeller was new 2 months ago, took it out for winterization, but it back in when i decided to ski. and as far as damage with a puller, and '85 with a pcm requires no puller, or screwdriver for that matter. I lubed it up, and it turned the right way with no problems. I'm skiing tomorrow!!! SC weather is great!!

You're right. On some of my marine engines I could get the impeller out with my fingers. On my M/C LT-1 it takes a puller or some screwdrivers. If it comes out without damage and the blades aren't set, reuse it. Actually, pulling the impeller over the winter, if it removes easily, is a great way to keep the blades from taking a set. I can't pull mine without damage. I do change mine every 100 hours.

We're in Michigan. My wife and doughter are skiing today. Snow skiing.

east tx skier
01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Can you suggest a particular auto parts store that has the impeller compatible with our boats, which, incidentilly, is Johnson 812.

G-man
01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
This is a new one on me. I always found skidim.com to have the best price on these.

jimmer2880
01-06-2005, 01:49 PM
.... Just make sure you talk with somebody with a brain at the store....
See - that's just the problem... Hard to find brains in any of those places these days.

If someone has one from an auto-shop, if you could post the maker & part number for use, that would certainly be easier.