PDA

View Full Version : transmission rattle

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-10-2006, 09:42 PM
i have a 2000 X-star with the LTR and hurth trans..everytime i put in gear it starts to rattle..goes away when you give throttle or when put back in neutral...anyone else ever had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it.

bigmac
12-10-2006, 10:07 PM
i have a 2000 X-star with the LTR and hurth trans..everytime i put in gear it starts to rattle..goes away when you give throttle or when put back in neutral...anyone else ever had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it.
IIRC, a tranny rattle on the Hurths going into forward and/or reverse gear was the reason Hurth switched to recommending 15W40 engine oil instead of Dexron/Mercon. The rattle doesn't signify damage to the transmission, but the oil switch stopped the complaints.

east tx skier
12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Do you use Dexron III or 15W40 in the transmission? MC is now recommending 15W40 in Vdrives and powerslots. It might be as simple as that. Make sure you get all the DIII out, i.e., change the fluid a few times.

east tx skier
12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
BigMac, you're too quick for me.

H20skeefreek
12-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Does this include OLD velvet drive powerslots?

Jesus_Freak
12-11-2006, 03:14 AM

What about old velvet 1:1?

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
im using the dextron trany oil in it...now i have a bigger problem i looked at the tranny fulid and it looks like it is a milkly red now...i called my local dealer and they said that there was a service bullitin on thoses trannys that they would suck up water in the bottom seal due to a difference in pressure...does that sound right....and if my tranny does need a new seal would it be just as good to pull it out and get it rebulit at the same time?

bigmac
12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
im using the dextron trany oil in it...now i have a bigger problem i looked at the tranny fulid and it looks like it is a milkly red now...i called my local dealer and they said that there was a service bullitin on thoses trannys that they would suck up water in the bottom seal due to a difference in pressure...does that sound right....and if my tranny does need a new seal would it be just as good to pull it out and get it rebulit at the same time?Another common source of water in the transmission oil would likely be a leak in the transmission cooler.

Bruce
12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
My 1999 230VRS makes the noise also. It has Dextron. I've only had the boat a few months so I don't know the history. big mac and easttx if I read you right it does no harm to tranny. If so "if it aint broke" I may not fix it. Tannny is full, color is good etc.

east tx skier
12-11-2006, 04:29 PM

I have no idea. If you've been using Dexron/Mercon for this long and don't have rattles generally, I couldn't see changing now. But that's just a guess.

What about old velvet 1:1?

Dexron III/Mercon for you.

Ole Miss Rebels
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
My 1999 205 v did the same thing. it was the clutch fixing to turn loose. My 2005 xstar did the same thing when in reverse. it turned loose. I asm assumiong it also is going to be the clutch. they both had 15w40 diesel motor oil in them. My guess is your clutch is fixing to turn loose at a moments notice with no further warning like mine did. Make sure you have an anchor in your boat with a long rope to hold you till you can get a tow back in. Never leave the dock without an anchor. If it's windy you could end up in a bad situation with your boat being blown into rocks or piers. Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
i took tranny cooler off and did a pressure test on it..it is all good..any other ideas...im clueless

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-11-2006, 07:56 PM
also thanx guys for the info so far i need to get my baby back up to par before summer hits again...i don't want be driving by the lake and seeing boats on the water while mine is in the repair shop

ski_king
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I am thinking dampening plate problem here, it has the symptoms.

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
it seams like this problem could be anything..this is going to suck!! but i guess thats what they make money for even though i don't have much. lol

99xstar
12-16-2006, 09:54 AM
I have the same tranny in my 99 xstar and it has rattled since I bought it in Sept. Do a lot of searching and reading on this board and you will find others in the same boat "pun intended". I have not worried about it since there are many here with more hours on their boat than mine with no problems. I also use 15W40, and it still rattles a bit.

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-18-2006, 06:49 AM
how many hours do you have on your 99 x star