PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices

tex
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I went to a Stars game with a buddy last night. He has a friend who has season tickets who can't get to every game. My buddy showed up and I asked him how much I owed for tickets. His answer was $120. I knew they were good but $120 good. For that we got blue line 12 rows up. Great seats but not worth $120 to see the Stars without Mondano, Morrow, and Lindros-Translated into a 2-0 shutout of the Stars and a sorry game.

This made me wonder....What's the most that you have paid for a ticket to a sporting/concert and was it worth it?

I'm Cheap!!!!!!!

BrianM
12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I am not a huge sports guy but have been to quite a few games. Mostly NBA but a couple of NFL games as well. Most I have spent on a ticket $8. That was for a standing room only ticket to an NBA game about 10 years ago. Besides that every time I have gone I have had comped tickets from one source or another. The most expensive seat I have sat in had a face value of $200. That was about 20 rows up center court. No way I would have paid that for that seat. Also got to watch a Saints game from the sidlines once. They were a United Way promotion and at the time my wife worked for them. That was kind of a neat experience but it was actually really hard to see the game from there. I would have prefered to be up in the stands.

So I am obviously not a good representation.

Ric
12-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Gene, look at us now! :wavey:

Footin
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Every year I spend about 175 to 200 for a Nascar Bristol night race ticket, worth every penny.

tex
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Gene, look at us now! :wavey:
I'm complaining to myself and my friends about my stupidity!

JimN
12-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, somebody has to pay for the stupid money the players are promised. If people would actually stand up and say that the prices are too high instead of trying to impress everyone with how much they spend, it would change but since there's no real dropoffs in attendance, they'll keep going up. Look at the two contracts that were signed in the last few days- $32 Million fro two players to play for one year. Bonds hasn't played a full season in many years and the other is a pitcher. If they get 40 games out of each, they make $400K/game. That's more than some of the greatest players made in their careers.

Anything over $20 better be pretty effin' good. If it's more than a couple of hours, $40-$50 isn't terrible but when you multiply the price by the attendance, it's getting up there. My guess is that the insurance costs have raised the prices.

Paid $55 for Rush tickets the first time (just behind the board) and scalped the second time (still decent seats) for $30 about 20 minutes before they went on. The guy in front of us, offering the security guard (next to the board) an illegal smokey treat during a really quiet part was pretty funny. The guard looked at him and, sounding like a parent, "Put that away".

Ric
12-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm complaining to myself and my friends about my stupidity! hahahha !

Ric
12-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I think I paid 120 each for some fence row George Strait tickets once... It paid off later in the evening:D

tex
12-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I think I paid 120 each for some fence row George Strait tickets once... It paid off later in the evening:D
Mine didn't. I stayed semi-sober and the wife still wanted nothing to do with me when I got home. She really wouldn't want me if she knew what I had just spent! I'm a dumbars!

Harvey
12-09-2006, 11:40 AM
I have paid a ton in tickets over the years.

100$ a seat to see the Eagles on opening night at American Airlines Center in Dallas
100$ a ticket on two occasions to see the Austin City Limits 3 day music festival
120$ a seat to see Clapton Crossroads Festival at Cotton Bowl

And the big daddy of them all I paid $550 to see the Final game of the World Cup in 94 at the Rose Bowl. I would pay this again in a heartbeat. I am hoping to go to South Africa for the 2010 and China for 2014 finals.

JimN
12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
We should do a thread for the best show/event for the lowest price of admission. I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn from the front row, in front of his guitar rig at Summerfest for the grounds admission price, maybe $8 or $9 in '84.

JimN
12-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Harvey- I bought the Crossroads DVD- how long were you there/which acts did you see? Any of the smaller stages? A friend of mine played there and if you have the DVD, he's the tall guy with long hair, glasses, hat and wearing a Jimi Hendrix shirt right after BB, Buddy Guy, Clapton and a few others played (daytime show). I think he did a couple of Fender clinics while he was there.

Harvey
12-09-2006, 11:46 AM
1996 Pearl Jam and the Ramones front row $20. That was the best $20 I ever spent.

Ric
12-09-2006, 11:48 AM
$4 pat green on the town square in lampassas, TX in '00
bring your own lawn chair and ice chest... had my 5 yr old on my shoulders singing along... priceless guy puts on a great show IMO

Harvey
12-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I didn't go to the clinics on Friday or Saturday. They only released a limited number of tickets for those days. I saw the entire stage show on Sunday. We were there for Steve Vai and through the end of the show with ZZ Top, Jeff Beck and Clapton.

I think Carlos Santana played Sunday after BB King. If Santana is a friend of yours that is sweet.

JimN
12-09-2006, 11:58 AM
No, it wasn't Santana. My bud played all three days but not on the main stage. He does a lot of Fender clinics and had two gigs at about 5 or 6 PM.

Maristar210
12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
$220 each for Cubs tickets behind home plate when Sammy Sosa and McGwire were going at it for the home run lead....

It gave me goose bumps so it was worth it.....

Harvey
12-09-2006, 12:12 PM
$4 pat green on the town square in lampassas, TX in '00
bring your own lawn chair and ice chest... had my 5 yr old on my shoulders singing along... priceless guy puts on a great show IMO

He has since sold out to the sponsors and big music. I can't stand when he will sing a lyric different because he has a Bud Light sponsorship (sing Shiner or Lone Star for christs sake). I miss when he was down to earth and a blast to see. He still puts on a good show but try getting a ticket to see him for $4.

$220 each for Cubs tickets behind home plate when Sammy Sosa and McGwire were going at it for the home run lead....

It gave me goose bumps so it was worth it.....

As a DEVOUT northside fan, I am truly envious. I told my better half if they go to the World Series I am going even if it costs me $500 a ticket. We are buying up players left and right. This year is the year.

Ric
12-09-2006, 12:27 PM
He has since sold out to the sponsors and big music. I can't stand when he will sing a lyric different because he has a Bud Light sponsorship (sing Shiner or Lone Star for christs sake). I miss when he was down to earth and a blast to see. He still puts on a good show but try getting a ticket to see him for $4.

glad I got in on the ground floor of that deal. if there were an event like that now and he played, we'd be rubbing elbows with sweaty college drunks. I havent really like that since the days when I was one :cool:

whitedog
12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Best value was a toss up between Sytx Paradie Theater tour, front row floor with the GF or REO in 81 both were like 12 bucks a ticket. Also saw Charlie Daniel's and had backstage passes in 84 for about 15 bucks.

Recently dropped 85 a ticket to see the play 42nd street and keep the wife happy.

Maristar210
12-09-2006, 01:03 PM

As a DEVOUT northside fan, I am truly envious. I told my better half if they go to the World Series I am going even if it costs me $500 a ticket. We are buying up players left and right. This year is the year.

CROSSED FINGERS

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-09-2006, 01:35 PM
$100 to see the Van Halen reunion tour in 2004. Great show! Sammy RULES! Eddie was fubar. :(

Saw Dennis Deyoung(original singer of STYX) for about $50 last year. Great show! terrific showman, unbelievable singer. Best voice in the world, IMO. There isnt even anyone that comes close.

I see the Trans Siberian Orchestra just about every year too. Good show. THe lights, pyro, etc... even suprassing the old pink floyd stuff from the pulse tour.

Best money I ever spent was about $40 to see Kansas(close seats) in 2003 UN-****ING BELIEVABLE! The most impressive Musical event I have ever witnessed. They are all masters of their instrument. truly jaw-dropping. If you like Kansas, dont miss them, they will blow your mind live. And if the only song you know them by is "Dust in the wind", dont bother going. "dust" is baby****. they can ROCK! They are the most explosive progressive rock band in the world. They just dont stop dishing out amazing sonic madness.

SteveO
12-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Tex, I'll sell you a driver seat view of the course on the 209 for $50 What do you think??? How was the MSC party? CO was great. Got in pleanty of sking time and got a sled ride in one afternoon. Started at 10,400 and went up to 12,400 elevation. Talk about adrenaline rush? Threadjack over...

Leroy
12-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I would also Harvey! I've paid $100 for indy tickets and Pacers tickets. All scapled and ~50% of face.

:toast: :dance: :worthy: :worthy:

And the big daddy of them all I paid $550 to see the Final game of the World Cup in 94 at the Rose Bowl. I would pay this again in a heartbeat. I am hoping to go to South Africa for the 2010 and China for 2014 finals.

noose374
12-14-2006, 12:25 AM
I just got my student tickets for the Sugar Bowl, $125 each.

Sodar
12-14-2006, 09:03 AM
I just got my student tickets for the Sugar Bowl, $125 each.

I paid the same for the Rose Bowl last year. I was only able to buy two, but I sold them for $1400 a peice!!! Ended up paying to have my entire trailer refurbished, plus I did not need to put up with the watching my beloved team lose for the first time of my college career! I am still depressed about it! :mad: :( :

LakePirate
12-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Like Footin I have dropped Over 2 bills on Bristol Night Race Tickets. Most Race tickets are over 125 face value. Usually pay about 100 per seat to Tennessee games.

Monte
12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
For expensive Nascar at Lowes Motor Speedway pd 125 each for the Coca Cola 600. For cheap we have an uptown outdoor concert once every two weeks during the summer for free... The Marshall Tucker Band played it last year. Most of the time its Beach music, regional southern rock, or country. Still good music!! Oh got to see BB king for free once. Lake PM at ya

sizzler
12-14-2006, 09:37 AM
bought 2x 200 tickets off of ebay to see Elvis's comeback tour last year...he did not show up,and i lost my ticket money....bummer

Maristar210
12-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I paid the same for the Rose Bowl last year. I was only able to buy two, but I sold them for $1400 a peice!!! Ended up paying to have my entire trailer refurbished, plus I did not need to put up with the watching my beloved team lose for the first time of my college career! I am still depressed about it! :mad: :( :

But this also made some guys in Texas very happy. If I recall correctly I had Texas plus 7 points so it made me happy as well.

Think of it this way Cameron: It'll make this years loss to Michigan less painful because you have already gone through it :D

Steve

Harvey
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
I personally think that the game to see this year is SC v Michigan. The OSU v Florida game will be a OSU stomping. The SC v Michigan game has history. SC is looking to avenge the beating they took from UCLA while Michigan is PISSED they aren't playing for a national championship.

Try this one on for size. Let's say Florida miraculously beats OSU and Michigan beats SC then there is a possibility of a three way split on the national championship.

Bottom line I think a ticket to the Michigan v SC game is worth about the same as a ticket to the championship. Oh and Sodar, remember 1998 when my TCU Horned Frogs beat you guys in the Sun Bowl. That was before you guys were national championship worthy.

And to keep this on topic any of you English blokes live anywhere close to Manchester. I have been meaning to see a game at Old Trafford for about 10 years?

Datdude
12-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Best Value: Seeing the Barenaked Ladies at Summerfest on a small stage standing behind the soundboard for free. This was before they were really popular, but still a good show.

Most Expensive: I paid $125 each for two Green Bay Packer tickets back in 2001 when they were still good. It was the first date with the girl that turned out to be my wife:D . I figured I had to set the hook good and it worked. Including the tickets, parking, food, beer, souvenirs, etc. it came out to about $400 which is still our most expensive "date" to date(5 years and counting). What a great day, and totally worth it:cool: .

tex
12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Tex, I'll sell you a driver seat view of the course on the 209 for $50 What do you think??? How was the MSC party? CO was great. Got in pleanty of sking time and got a sled ride in one afternoon. Started at 10,400 and went up to 12,400 elevation. Talk about adrenaline rush? Threadjack over...
Party was great-The small afterparty at my place was a little blurry! I should be going to the Super Bowl this year on somebody elses dime...that will make up for my Stars ticket!

tex
11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H20BOY
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
I paid $750 per ticket to the Cowboys vs. Patriots game. The only reason it didn't hurt to pay that much...company money.

mitch
11-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Paid $215 for a ticket to this years ALCS game 1 Sox-Indians. Well worth it!! Just paid $225 for a ticket to the 2008 Daytona 500. Turn 2,but waaaay up. With transportation, lodging, food BEER etc, this one will be $1200 easy. Might be worth it....we'll see

Yellow X9
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I went to a Stars game with a buddy last night. He has a friend who has season tickets who can't get to every game. My buddy showed up and I asked him how much I owed for tickets. His answer was $120. I knew they were good but $120 good. For that we got blue line 12 rows up. Great seats but not worth $120 to see the Stars without Mondano, Morrow, and Lindros-Translated into a 2-0 shutout of the Stars and a sorry game.

This made me wonder....What's the most that you have paid for a ticket to a sporting/concert and was it worth it?

I'm Cheap!!!!!!!

I was at the Stars game last night aswell, my bar tab exceeded the seat prices by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Know wonder why Mark Cubar is loaded $ 7 beers, and the drinks.....no comment

Patrick Hardy
11-15-2007, 10:37 AM
$450.00 - 1998 Rose Bowl (1997 Season) Michigan Vs. Wash. State for National Title - Michigan Wins in the final seconds of the game 21 to 16. Seats were at the fifty yard line & 15 rows up.
$600.00 - 1998 The Rolling Stones in Aloha Stadium (Honolulu, Hawaii). Seats were in the second row & center of stage.

Where they worth the money? To me Hell Yes! Work Hard...Play Hard.