PDA

View Full Version : Sirius/xm Radio

Hodge Podge
12-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Anybody Know About Puting Sirius/xm In A 2004 Mc

mitch
12-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Consider this--> http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp
Got it for xmas and it's awesome. This way you can have it in your car/home/boats, walking etc. Comes w/ everything, incl 3 diff antenna's.

Farmer Ted
12-27-2004, 11:06 PM
I started out with the Commander and the only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't move it from vehicle to vehicle... so I got a Roady2, portable, wireless FM transmitter, and streaming stock quotes,
The Myfi looks like the bomb but I'd wait 6 months for the price to drop. I paid $129 for my Roady and saw them at Best Buy for $70 or $80. COuld've been a big XMas sale but I'd wait and see if the price drops.

mitch
12-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Agreed $ will drop like anything else tech, and I heard the next gen will also have an mp3 player built in. Smaller would be nicer too. Can't believe what people are paying for these on ebay. Must still hard to come by, as the $ are higher now than when I got mine. :rolleyes:

Farmer Ted
12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
I think Delphi prices drop, they seem to be developing better and smaller stuff, hence the drop in price. The Commander is built by Terk and it's still $160 at BB.

I heard a rumor...serious rumor that the new iPod will have XM...

crdickey
12-28-2004, 12:34 AM
I have the Clarion XMD3 head unit and bought the Clarion Sirius receiver which plugs right in "sweet" and is fully accessable through the Clarion remotes I have mounted for the driver and on the transom. Pictures available, when it stops raining!

Cloaked
12-28-2004, 07:45 PM
There is a thread somewhere on the forum (likely in the archive files) that shows an XM setup in a boat. One of the members here did the installation. If you don't find it, I have the thread printed to PDF that I can attach.

atlfootr
02-01-2005, 09:19 AM
I'd like to install XM radio on my boat as soon as the weather breaks.
Can anyone assist me in this process, any help is greatly appreciated.

atlfootr :cool:

sizzler
02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
excuse my lack of audio knowledge,,,but what is sirius........not the cloud formation

Leroy
02-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Sizzler; Sirius and XM are two satellite radio services that have been launched in the US. Each are quite popular and growing rapidly. You buy the radio and pay small monthly fee. For boaters where often you are away from the city and cannot get any radio stations, it's nice because you can still get all of the stations.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1018209032790

http://www.xmradio.com/

sizzler
02-01-2005, 09:48 AM
why thankyou leroy

aprgriggs
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I am putting a removable unit in my boat so I can also take it to my truck....more bang for the buck.

Farmer Ted
02-01-2005, 12:51 PM
I'd like to install XM radio on my boat as soon as the weather breaks.
Can anyone assist me in this process, any help is greatly appreciated.

atlfootr :cool:

If you're going to use that one, it shouldn't be hard at all. I believe it's got a wireless RF transmitter so just figure out where to put the holder and make sure it's close to your 12 VDC socket.

djhuff
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
The one posted does not have wireless built in, buy the modulator that goes in line with the antenna, it is powered and plugs in line with the quick release on the power line to the head unit. Also powers the XM unit (don't have to use the 12v socket). I did this, it has good sound, just a little lower levels than the radio/cd.

mitch
02-01-2005, 02:23 PM
April, What model are you going w/? Can't say enough good things about this one. Wherever there's a radio, you've got XM! I love it....
http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp

aprgriggs
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I am still doing research on the products...I want a plug and play unit so I can have my stereo shop hard wire it in. I don't want to have to use the 12 volt.

Can you use a hard wire with your unit mitch? and do you like XM?

April, What model are you going w/? Can't say enough good things about this one. Wherever there's a radio, you've got XM! I love it....
http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp

mitch
02-02-2005, 12:30 PM
I love XM. Not sure on the hard wire, other than cutting the plug end off the 12v, and running it to fuse box, that's what I do for my radar detector. I have not done it yet, cause I'm not keeping this truck much longer. With the portable unit, you can record 5 hours of whatever station you want, and scroll thru it the next day and listen to what you want. I plug it at night and hit record. Love that feature, and I use it every day.

aprgriggs
02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I love XM. Not sure on the hard wire, other than cutting the plug end off the 12v, and running it to fuse box, that's what I do for my radar detector. I have not done it yet, cause I'm not keeping this truck much longer. With the portable unit, you can record 5 hours of whatever station you want, and scroll thru it the next day and listen to what you want. I plug it at night and hit record. Love that feature, and I use it every day.

does it take batteries? and does it have a remote?

thanks for answering my questions.

ski_king
02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a combination of a XM MyFi and a IPod?

mgurley
02-02-2005, 02:12 PM
The best place to get the 12v power source from is the hot wires that power your head unit. But with a test light you should be able to get under the dash and find an acc. wire to hook up to.

mgurley
02-02-2005, 02:14 PM
For all of us do it your selfers.

http://www.installdr.com/

Ric
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
OK my 05 boat has the clarion xmd3 and my salesman said it's as easy as calling sirius and giving them your credit card#
I tried that and the kid at sirius wants a radio id# and I don't know how to find it.
I gave up because I didnt have the manual at the lake with me
anybody know how to find it??

mitch
02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
April, Yes, it has a remote, and a 5 hours battery. I got mine at Circuitcity, and I got the 2 year extended warr, covers everything in the box! Doug, I heard the next gen will be a combo .mp3 player and sat radio, but I figure that'll be a little while as this one is just launching. XM=MLB and Sirrus=NFL Now I can follow the Red Sox on something other than AM radio!

Farmer Ted
02-02-2005, 03:12 PM
The one posted does not have wireless built in, buy the modulator that goes in line with the antenna, it is powered and plugs in line with the quick release on the power line to the head unit. Also powers the XM unit (don't have to use the 12v socket). I did this, it has good sound, just a little lower levels than the radio/cd.

SKyFi 2 has wireless RF, I couldn't tell which one the picture was.
Then again if I would have LOOKED at the picture, the red screen gives it away....

G-man
02-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Ric

Look on the back side of the radio for a ESN# its a number like cell phones use for identification. If there is a separate box wired to the radio it will be on that box. If there is a doubt follow the antenna wire.