PDA

View Full Version : soldier for hire...

boatless
12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Well,

I think I am going to quit my night job on the corner of the street and looking for a job in iraq as a security guard (soldier for hire). $1,000.00 a day tax free with a three months contract. Experience wanted was some military knowledge, thinking I have that from watching the news for the last few years. Any one else thinking about doing this ?

boatless.

M-Funf
12-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I haven't, but a friend of mine pulls the golden trigger...:cool:

Chief
12-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Well,

I think I am going to quit my night job on the corner of the street and looking for a job in iraq as a security guard (soldier for hire). $1,000.00 a day tax free with a three months contract. Experience wanted was some military knowledge, thinking I have that from watching the news for the last few years. Any one else thinking about doing this ?

boatless.

I love how the goverment will pay private contractors that much money but stiff the military with a 2.2% raise this year. It's not right.

Harvey
12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I know a couple guys that work with Shadow Company. They make a killing, killing. Most of these guys are ex Special Forces (Rangers, Seals, etc.) who have since left the military. One of the guys I know was working a desk job for a financial firm collecting his military pension when they contacted him and offered him upwards of 12K a month for a 1 year contract. He has been there about 6 months and is lucky still alive. From what I know they spend a lot of their time helping protect our military (specifically officers and personnel), i.e. getting shot at.

I agree they could spend more to pay our military but these people are VERY effective on the battle field and they pay them for their experience and their expertise. The 2nd year enlisted soldier that is over there doesn't have anything on these guys. There are even some long time officers who these guys protect that don't have the experience and knowledge that these mercenaries have.

Farmer Ted
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
You may want to verify the amount you can earn overseas that is exempt from income tax.

I volunteered at the tax office last year and seem to remember the number being around $78,000.....

I could be wrong though, active duty enlisted are 100% tax exempt serving in a designated combat zone, I think officers are capped at a monthly amount.

Again I could be wrong....

and Harvey's right, how am I expected to get a new 214 with a 2.2% pay raise, I can barely afford midgrade on my '98......

From the IRS...

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97130,00.html

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to $82,400 of your foreign earnings. In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.

PendO
12-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I know a couple guys over there doing private security ... one of them is an attorney I went to law school with, who was a Navy Seal before coming to school, the other one is a young kid who was Marine Corps Recon and when he got out of the corps he went to work for them ... a year ago it was $600 a day, not sure what it is today ... from what I understood all of their members had to be ex military with some special forces training ... I often google their names to make sure they are still alive ... thus far it seems to be going well for them, but I know they have had losses, and also, if I remember right they had to pay for plane tickets back to the states ... the younger one took some time off to come back to the states, and when he was here the vehicle he was responsible for was blown up with an IUD, killing his fellow employees. Scarry work, but if you are single it sounds like a lucrative gamble.

east tx skier
12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
... blown up with an IUD, killing his fellow employees.

Not meaning to sound like a smart ***, but it's IED. IUD is something entirely different

Hoosier Bob
12-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks Eastie! For a second I thought all I needed were the keys to Lisa's bottom drawer! Can we bring our own toys? M-16 is cool but house brand is better!

Chief
12-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Not meaning to sound like a smart ***, but it's IED. IUD is something entirely different

IUD's keep your girl from blowing up.

Farmer Ted
12-08-2006, 10:04 PM
here's a job description that came across my desk recently....

Supports Predator UAV maintenance at Indian Springs, NV, must be willing to deploy on two 3-month rotational assignments totaling 6-8 mo/yr to OCONUS locations including SW Asia.

Rotational assignments will entail long hour under adverse condition. Service, repair, and overhaul aircraft, and aircraft engines to ensure airworthiness. Repair, replace, and rebuild aircraft structures, landing gear, power plants/trains, fuel systems, and functional components using hand-tools, power tools, welding equipment, rivet gun and drills.

what they're not including in the "adverse" conditions is your duty day is 14-16 each day 7 days a week for 3 or 4 months

we figured it would be around 70,000 for each 4 month deployment twice a year you'd get around $140,000 just for the on the road portion. Another $18,000 for your 4 months at home.

not chump change and it's certainly not as dangerous as riding shotgun on convoys.

PendO
12-09-2006, 01:12 AM

G'dam engilhs major:)

PendO
12-09-2006, 01:13 AM
//
thx eastie, IED.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
IED, IUD, its all the same nowadays. ;)

So, WHO exactly pays for these private soldiers?

Harvey
12-09-2006, 11:31 AM
IED, IUD, its all the same nowadays. ;)

So, WHO exactly pays for these private soldiers?

Um, we do. They have government contracts.

Footin
12-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Sounds like a job for the A-Team.

BriEOD
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
You couldn't pay me $10K/day to do that job. I know 2 people who have retired/separated from active duty and returned as contractors. Both are no longer with us. Money isn't everything.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a job for the A-Team.
dayum straight! get Mr.T out of that stupid "reality" TV show of his.:rolleyes:

Gotta spring Murdoch from the nuthouse first!:)

BriEOD
12-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Um, we do. They have government contracts.
A lot of the mercinary type work is contracted through the State Dept, not DoD. They need people and pay out some decent cash. That said, the DoD does contract some engineering and maintenance type stuff. In fact, the only service with the organic capability to go into a hostile area and construct a base is the Air Force. The Army contracts it out to Brown and Root. However, contractors don't like building bases/camps while they are getting shelled...go figure.