PDA

View Full Version : Andre, an answer to your question

MYMC
12-27-2004, 12:11 PM
To answer your question: (hope this helps to clear the air)

The blisters are caused by “osmotic blistering”. This is a natural process whereby a fluid of a lower density is drawn through a porous membrane to a fluid of a higher density in an attempt to equalize the density of the two fluids. The membrane is the gel coat…it is a common misconception that gel coat is waterproof…the fact is gel coat is porous, water molecules can and do pass through it. Another misconception is that boats in salt water are more susceptible to this…fresh water is less dense and has a higher potential for this to happen.

This can and does happen to ALL fiberglass boats regardless of cost or manufacturer…Hatteras and Viking are just as susceptible as any ski boat.

It is clearly stated in the owner’s manual that the boat cannot be left in the water for extended periods of time. As a matter of fact it is clearly stated in the manuals of our competitors as well.
See the quote below…

"In recent years, discussion regarding the repair and prevention of osmotic blistering on fiberglass or gelcoat hulls has generated controversy among applicators, owners, builders, and resin suppliers."

"A consensus has resulted. Fiberglass/gelcoat hulls that are in the water much of the time require extra protection to prevent eventual attack and blistering."

The above was copied from the Awlgrip web site.

mitch
12-27-2004, 12:34 PM
How come this does not happen on all boats, MC or otherwise?? My MC is in the water for 6 months a year. Does not come out of the water during that time unless something is wrong. No blisters, none. Previous MC (1989 Tristar) was treated the same way. 4 seasons no blisters. Previous boat Glastron=no blisters. Seems I would be a good candidate to run into this. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy :D , just trying to understand. Thx!

OhioProstar
12-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Maybe boats that stay in water with lower specific gravity are more apt to "osmotic blistering". I am glad I pull mine out every day.

mitch
12-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Would rather have a lift to get it out the water, but short of the that, I love :dance: having my boats in the water at the ready. nuttin like it, and so far zero problems!

MYMC
12-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Water temp plays a major contributing factor in this as well.

Not sure why you have not had any issues (and relieved as well). In 4 years of having my own store and 3 years running another I have only seen this twice...I wish I had more information to share but unfortunately this is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. It would appear that the vast majority of info out there on the subject is theory and not hard scientific fact.

mitch
12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Can't actually say I've had zero problems :o Most of you have seen this one!

André
12-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Would you say it is normal for 3 or 4 years old MC that sits in water for 6 months of the years without any "Special Protection" to blister?
I can't agree that all fiberglass boats will blister.Like you said ,if you only saw that happened twice with all your experience in boats business,this guy hull must be an extreme case!
I understand his frustration after only 3 or 4 years of owwnership...

André
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Can't actually say I've had zero problems :o Most of you have seen this one!

Don't see no blisters on that boat... :uglyhamme

OhioProstar
12-27-2004, 02:25 PM
It would make more sense to me that conditions(temp/humidity) when the gel coat is layed would effect some boats more than others. This is one of those <5% issues that most manufactures are willing to risk when running a production line. Kind of like the Lemon Law scenarios the auto companies deal with.

Mitch,
That pic reminds me of my old 18' tri-hall that ended up hanging from the dock by only the lines after a really bad storm. I had to push the nose of the boat under the dock to get the stern out of the water enough to bail. Of course water was stil coming in from the drain holes in the outboard bracket.

MYMC
12-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Would you say it is normal for 3 or 4 years old MC that sits in water for 6 months of the years without any "Special Protection" to blister?

No...I would not say this would normal. However, all fiberglass boats are susceptible to this issue. No manufacturer of fiberglass/gel coat boats advocates leaving them in the water for “extended” periods of time without the application of the proper barrier coats (no matter how old/new the boat is).

Would I say a customer should have the right to be frustrated? Yes I would.

Would I say that this is the proper way to handle such an issue? No, I would not. Clearly what has happened here (before being removed) goes far beyond being frustrated. With no explanation or detailing of what steps have been taken to resolve the issue (let alone what led to it) the post in question has no credibility whatsoever (IMHO).

MYMC
12-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Mitch,

Would you say the ballast is full at that point?

mitch
12-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Wake was perfect, but it took forever out of the hole :)

Danny R
12-27-2004, 04:19 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAA

André
12-27-2004, 04:25 PM
MYMC
I totally agree that this was not the good way to solve his problems.Maybe if it had been presented in another way with the entire story.He did e mail me some details but he should be the one giving the entire story so i won't post his email.Still,it's a fairly new boat with MAJOR gel coat problems.I really wonder what led to it...
When you put that amount of money on a skiboat,you should get a lift too!!!

Danny R
12-30-2004, 07:52 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAA

mitch
12-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Danny, I don't see the post :confused:

Danny R
12-30-2004, 11:07 PM
AAAAAAAAAAA

Farmer Ted
12-31-2004, 12:08 AM
DannyR:

You probably would've gotten your point across better had you posted this in the first place.

Have you tried Google?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=osmotic+blistering&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.oceanmarineservices.com/osmotic_blistering.htm
So what gets the osmotic process started in the first place? During lay up voids are formed by air bubbles trapped during the "wet out" of the fiberglass with resin during the molding process. While modern vacuum bagging techniques have gone a long way to reduce this problem, these small air bubbles cannot be totally eliminated no matter how carefully the hull is laminated. Often trapped in these voids are unreacted resin curing agents, materials used to help the wet out process of the fiberglass, and the binding material that is used to form short fiberglass strands into a fabric known as chopped strand mat (CMS), one of the various types used in construction. Water molecules pass through the gel coat (membrane) and small droplets form. This moisture dissolves out the soluble substances in the void and this in turn forms a dense acidic fluid. Now that we have a dense fluid in the laminate, and the gel coat acting as a membrane for the water to pass through the process can start in earnest. As this process continues, pressure builds up and blisters start to form. This pressure can continue to build until the gel coat cracks. The fluid density then equalizes with the surrounding water on the outside of the hull and the process stops. However, this exposes deeper areas of the laminate to moisture and a host of new problems can arise. Now this brings us to another misconception- Osmotic blistering is more likely to occur in saltwater. Actually, fresh water is less dense than saltwater and therefore the potential for the osmotic process to occur is greater in fresh water than salt. Higher water temperatures also contribute to the process.

It looks like if you got your ducks in a row, compiled some facts and put it back on Mastercraft and be adamant that the only acceptable solution is that they need to stand behind their product. I would start at the Front of the line and work your way up the ladder until you end up with Mr Dorton. Hopefully it won't go that far, but you really need to make your case to get it done correctly.

Jim@BAWS
01-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Danny
"DEMO" How is the boat a demo?

Hours on it when purchased? How long INSERVICE before you purchased it?
Whose 'DEMO" was it? Dealer? Indivdual? Promo Skier?

What makes it a "DEMO"

This is TOUGH call...could use some more INFO. As stated by MYMC the owners manuel clearly states DO NOT LEAVE THE BOAT IN THE WATER FOR A EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. That's why you are expected to read that manuel. Should MC warranty a motor where fuel is left in the tank for over a year untreated? Then the motor will not start and the fuel pump is bad.

Please add some more info.

Jim@BAWS

Danny R
01-01-2005, 08:11 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAA