PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a golf club???

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Are there any golfers out there that build/repair their own clubs?

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday, my youngest brother decided to try to hit my Long Drive (http://www.longdrivers.com/) driver. He caught it right on the hosel and snapped the club head off.

Can I cut the shaft at the club head and reattach it?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday, my youngest brother decided to try to hit my Long Drive (http://www.longdrivers.com/) driver. He caught it right on the hosel and snapped the club head off.

This is how you fix it beau. Very carefully, drive your car to your brothers house. bring the club, and your brother out in the garage, and put your brother in the vice. twist very slowly! and kindly ask him to buy you a NEW club!:D problem solved! (I know your brother has a vice on his workbench in the garage because Ric told me so.)

Maristar210
12-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Yes you can. Of course it will be shorter you know and you'll have to make sure the club head itself does not have any part of the shaft left in it. Otherwise super glue it. I have and have been sucessfull in doing so...

BOL - Steve

PendO
12-08-2006, 12:49 PM

Ahhh, golf, the passion I gave up when our first child was born:( So is the break at the hosel? (is the hosel broken) or is it just a broken shaft?

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Cool thanks...

Yeah, I am going to drill the club head out to remove any remnants.
The club was already 50" so a couple inches shorter will bring it down to the standard 48".

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Ahhh, golf, the passion I gave up when our first child was born:( So is the break at the hosel? (is the hosel broken) or is it just a broken shaft?

Broken shaft...

12-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Broken shaft...
they make pills for that now. :cool:

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 01:20 PM
they make pills for that now. :cool:

I don't need to hear about the drugs you are peddling UMP! Are you the one that keeps sending me all those emails???

12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't need to hear about the drugs you are peddling UMP! Are you the one that keeps sending me all those emails???
no, those emails are from Gawd. He knows. That is HIS way of answering your prayers!:D8p ;)

dpolen
12-08-2006, 01:31 PM

I don't recommend cutting the shaft off. You have 2 options. 1.Go to your local golf shop and they can quicly put a new new shaft in it for you..could be done for ~$50 depending on what kind of shaft you want. 2. Apply heat to the clubhead where the shaft connects, once its hot enough, carefully pull the shaft out. Clean the hosel of the club. Mix shaft epoxy and apply to the tip of a new shaft. Carefully re-insert the shaft with epoxy and let it dry. Once it's dry, trim the length of the shaft to the desired length...45" is standard. Finally, put a new grip on the club.

www.golfsmith.com has some great instructions on the process. But to answer your original question, don't cut the shaft off, it will be a pain the in the butt to get the shaft out of the clubhead...might make it impossible.

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't recommend cutting the shaft off. You have 2 options. 1.Go to your local golf shop and they can quicly put a new new shaft in it for you..could be done for ~$50 depending on what kind of shaft you want. 2. Apply heat to the clubhead where the shaft connects, once its hot enough, carefully pull the shaft out. Clean the hosel of the club. Mix shaft epoxy and apply to the tip of a new shaft. Carefully re-insert the shaft with epoxy and let it dry. Once it's dry, trim the length of the shaft to the desired length...45" is standard. Finally, put a new grip on the club.

www.golfsmith.com has some great instructions on the process. But to answer your original question, don't cut the shaft off, it will be a pain the in the butt to get the shaft out of the clubhead...might make it impossible.

The shaft broke off in the clubhead with none of it out of the clubhead. I was thinking I could drill out the broken shaft.

JKTX21
12-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Ahhhh to be a golfer again. I used to repair my own clubs, I like to tinker with that kind of stuff. Take it and have it done if you use your equipment a lot, it's nice to have everything line up, esp your driver.

I don't golf anymore due to the financial implications of this little thing I do here with a MasterCraft... but it's worth it.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Beau, is this your favorite club or are you just attached to it? Replace it..??

You telling me you are going out to play golf this weekend.....:confused:

And this is your little brother.....And he hits the ball hard enough to snap the shaft...Remind me not to play him....8p I can only get 375...I don't need a 425 in one of my rounds...:rolleyes:

lassy
12-08-2006, 02:08 PM
listen to dpolen

plus if you trim your shaft your tip flex will not be the same, and it won't hit the same as it use to.

get your bro to buy you a new shaft for christmas, and while your at it get him to buy you a new comfy winn grip or something

M-Funf
12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
If it were mine, I'd just take it to a shop and have them put in a new shaft. It's not expensive, and you won't have to worry about launching the clubhead 300 yds...

Either that, or use this as an excuse to get a new long driver :D

edit: are you a member of the long drive club? If so, what's the distance?

dpolen
12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
The shaft broke off in the clubhead with none of it out of the clubhead. I was thinking I could drill out the broken shaft.

In that case you could drill it out...just be really careful. IMHO, the previous shaft is toast. Too many good upgrades out there right now to settle for a previously broken shaft. Go buy something cheap on ebay. What's the golf club worth new?? For $150, you can buy some great, new models from previous years. If it were me based on what you're saying right now, I'd say "Tis the season" and buy yourself a new club. Let me know if you want some recommendations, I love this stuff more than my MC, so its always fun to talk shop when I should be working on a Friday afternoon.

Doug

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
The head is a SMT 455 (http://www.300yards.com/proddetail.php?prod=SMT455&gclid=CJzQh4Hag4kCFRNvSgodelbQRQ) and the shaft is a Penley ETA XXX.

dpolen
12-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Just get a replacement shaft...that's a pretty good clubhead that I understand to be used by the long drive guys (I'm obviously not one of them).

Here's a used one that you could just pop right in...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Penley-ETA-Tour-Stiff-Graphite-Golf-Shaft_W0QQitemZ190060660548QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4732 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bruce
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
The tip is very key in the overall flex of the shaft. The shaft is the key to the driver.As an example my shaft(fujikura )is over 300 buck just for the shaft. Tou can pick up a newTaylorMade r5 wirh graphite shaft for 200. And have a great stick You can go to a sporting good store etc and pick up a new one for even less. It all depends on how serious you are about your game.

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
The tip is very key in the overall flex of the shaft. The shaft is the key to the driver.As an example my shaft(fujikura )is over 300 buck just for the shaft. Tou can pick up a newTaylorMade r5 wirh graphite shaft for 200. And have a great stick You can go to a sporting good store etc and pick up a new one for even less. It all depends on how serious you are about your game.

My regular driver is a Ping TiSi... This is just my Long Drive club. ;)

M-Funf
12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I use the Nicklaus DPT 460 with a Fujikura graphite as my daily driver :rolleyes:

It can do me good, or get me into LOTS of trouble...

http://www.nicklaus-golf.com/premium/images/airmaxdpt1.jpg

JimN
12-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Why drill it out when heat will let you remove it? I would definitely make him buy a new shaft and explain why he should have offered to as soon as he broke it. Drilling it out is asking for trouble.

bepresto
12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
so what is the furthest you have hit a golf ball with this long driver.

bcampbe7
12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Why drill it out when heat will let you remove it? I would definitely make him buy a new shaft and explain why he should have offered to as soon as he broke it. Drilling it out is asking for trouble.

He did offer to pay for it, but I do not want him to. It's all good...

DanC
12-08-2006, 06:13 PM
What Jim said.
Do not drill it out. it will come right out with heat and you won't risk damaging the head.
Do not cut and reuse a composite shaft, its structural integrity is probably compromised (as well as the other comments about flex etc). Shafts are always trimmed from the handle end to maintain their flex and snap point.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
He did offer to pay for it, but I do not want him to. It's all good...
Good call, it's your cheap club...8p