PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Ski Help

454Barefoot
12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
I am in the market for a new ski, I am 6'1" 190 lbs. I am somewhat of a beginner I have slalom skied a few times, but I want to polish my skills and get better this summer.

Thanks for any help

Monte
12-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Bump... I have no idea b/c I wakeboard mostly, but this thread seems to be somewhat related to what we are supposed to be talking about.. Somebody help Mr 454 out!!!

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I am your weight and height. I started on a Connelly Concept, 68", with double high wraps. It is a reasonably performing, yet forgiving, ski. I would probably sell you mine, but that is not my goal with this post. There are many, many on here who ski better than I, so lets let some of them chime in about a starter ski suggestion.

shepherd
12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I weigh 195 lbs. and ride a 68" HO Monza. I wouldn't recommend a Monza for a beginner. That ski is so crazy, I'm not sure I would recommend it for an intermediate level guy like me!

I hear the Connelly F1 is a smooth, predictable, forgiving ski but still performs good in the course. I'd say 68" to 70" long for someone your size. Perhaps there's an F1 skier on this board who can comment?

JohnE
12-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I ski the F1X and am very happy with it. I bought it this past summer. I would say though that the full concave design is a little advanced for someone who has slalomed a few times. I used an O'brien ProCircuit for a long time before I got the Connelly. It was a great ski to learn and progress on. I'd recommend something similar. They don't make that ski anymore. When I bought the new ski from Wiley, he told me the procircuit was such a good ski, he tried to buy the molds, but was to late. O'brien had already destroyed them.

Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will chime in pretty soon.

Good Luck,

John

shepherd
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
ICBW, but I heard that the F1 is a "less hot" ski than the F1X.

JohnE
12-08-2006, 02:21 PM
ICBW, but I heard that the F1 is a "less hot" ski than the F1X.

I didn't know. I assumed it was a higher end ski. I don't know why.

3event
12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I am your weight and height. I started on a Connelly Concept, 68", with double high wraps. It is a reasonably performing, yet forgiving, ski. .

I'm going to agree on the Concept as a good starter ski. I used one for many years before upgrading. Nice and predictable, I found friends of many ability levels could use it. You can crank on it pretty hard too.

And as always, I vote for double hiwrap bindings on whatever you get.

cbryan70
12-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I have used the concept as well, fell in love with it but the guy wouldnt sell it so me.

dmayer84
12-08-2006, 03:47 PM
I have a conecpt currently and I have loved it, I need to upgrade to a better ski. My sister though is "taking it off my hands"

cbryan70
12-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Currently i am skiing on an old mastercraft ski 70 not to bad but heavy. Ive researched alot of hte connelly and for begginning i cant recommend a better ski then the concept for use and price. I am going with an Fx1. If im not mistaking that is a less hot ski then the FX. The FX is the top of the line for connelly and from what i have heard is tough to ski on if your not an advanced skier

454Barefoot
12-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Wow thanks for all the input it really helps, if anyone has a concept or any of the ski's suitable for someone like myself for sale I would be willing to purchase it from them.

Thanks for the help

454Barefoot
12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Connelly-Concept-F753-Slalom-Water-Ski-C-A-P-T_W0QQitemZ250057292301QQihZ015QQcategoryZ71174QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Here is a connelly concept on ebay with high wraps but it is only 66" will that still work alright for me

chudson
12-08-2006, 04:53 PM
To tell you the truth I wouldn't get in a big hurry, you have all winter to read the goings on on the forum here and there could be something to change your mind about a ski that you bought too soon. There are alot of well educated people that know quit alot about skis on here so sit back and read!!!

cbryan70
12-08-2006, 04:56 PM
66 would be to short. The shorter the ski the faster you have to be pulled especially if your bigger. Im 220 and a 68 would be considered a bit short for me but i like it. i would say 66 is to short

No Skeez
12-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I manage a ski shop in WI, and I would say the majority or our ski sales to someone in your ability range would either be the HO Competition Freeride Series or the O'Brien Synchro Series. The HO Burner is the 67" version of the Comp/Freeride. (It's the only ski series that has a different name for each size). You can get into this ski brand new for a relatively inexpensive price with a semi-adjustable front binding and an adjustable rear toe plate. The 67" Burner is recommended for a weight range of 160-200 lbs. It's a great ski for the beginner to intermediate skier, and we've even set a few up with double high wraps for some course skiing. If anyone else has skied the Comp/Freeride series please chime in here...

Other than the Burner, you may want to consider the Synchro from O'Brien. This is a great beginner to intermediate level ski as well. The only downside to this one is that it's only available in a 63, 66 or 69" length. Going back, 66 would be a little short for you, but 69 would be a little big. Again, hopefully some people that have skied this will put in their two cents...

Finally, don't rule out the Triumph or Nitro from HO either. Although the initial investment may run you a little more, look at the ability range that you are skiing at now, compared to where you will be after a year of skiing hard. You don't want to throw down your money now on a ski that fits you perfect, only to out-progress it by next summer. The Triumph does pretty good around here, but the Nitro is really coming on strong in it's second year of production. If you've got any other questions, fire away!

Jesus_Freak
12-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Wow thanks for all the input it really helps, if anyone has a concept or any of the ski's suitable for someone like myself for sale I would be willing to purchase it from them.

Thanks for the help

I know there is a lot of other input here, but if you decide on a 68" concept with double highs, PM me. I have one for sale.

ski_king
12-09-2006, 08:16 AM
I will echo somthing No Skeez said about the Obrien Syncro.

I got one for my kids and it skis almost as good as my Mapple and is much more forgiving and it also slis good right out of the box and dosn't need tuning like the higher end skis do.

TMCNo1
12-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Bump... I have no idea b/c I wakeboard mostly, but this thread seems to be somewhat related to what we are supposed to be talking about.. Somebody help Mr 454 out!!!

Monte, Monte, Monte, Wakeboard mostly????????????????
I thought you were the TT Resident Pro Toober and North Carolina State Champion for 2005!:rolleyes: :confused: :D
Did I read it wrong on www.IBToobingFerUWorld.com?

Ric
12-09-2006, 12:24 PM
whatever you ski shop guys do, don't pm me for stainless set screws for 07 HO adjustable fins

I manage a ski shop in WI, and I would say the majority or our ski sales to someone in your ability range would either be the HO Competition Freeride Series or the O'Brien Synchro Series. The HO Burner is the 67" version of the Comp/Freeride. (It's the only ski series that has a different name for each size). You can get into this ski brand new for a relatively inexpensive price with a semi-adjustable front binding and an adjustable rear toe plate. The 67" Burner is recommended for a weight range of 160-200 lbs. It's a great ski for the beginner to intermediate skier, and we've even set a few up with double high wraps for some course skiing. If anyone else has skied the Comp/Freeride series please chime in here...

Other than the Burner, you may want to consider the Synchro from O'Brien. This is a great beginner to intermediate level ski as well. The only downside to this one is that it's only available in a 63, 66 or 69" length. Going back, 66 would be a little short for you, but 69 would be a little big. Again, hopefully some people that have skied this will put in their two cents...

Finally, don't rule out the Triumph or Nitro from HO either. Although the initial investment may run you a little more, look at the ability range that you are skiing at now, compared to where you will be after a year of skiing hard. You don't want to throw down your money now on a ski that fits you perfect, only to out-progress it by next summer. The Triumph does pretty good around here, but the Nitro is really coming on strong in it's second year of production. If you've got any other questions, fire away!

TMCNo1
12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Anyone interested in a HO Monza, just pm UMP, I think he has a slightly used 2nd owner Personal World Record ski available. It may come with or without wings on the fin. You just need to pm him and ask!

TMCNo1
12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
whatever you ski shop guys do, don't pm me for stainless set screws for 07 HO adjustable fins

Why did UMP do a group buy on '07 HO Adjustable Fin Stainless Set Screws, because he wore his out adjusting the fin and removing and replacing the wings?:eek: :uglyhamme :rolleyes:

88 PS190
12-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Don't know if anyone answered the question about the 66" concept... No it won't work, too small.

66" feels small to me on the concept. And I'm 160.