PDA

View Full Version : Does MC really update TBI ECMs?

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Back on my "OK....so I got my 'new' MC" thread, Rob posted a comment about having the computer flashed with the latest code. I asked about this, and since no one responded :cry: I am going to start a new topic here.

I would be surprised if the engineers have learned anything more than the original, proven temperature-pressure-density system with look-up tables that would require updating. I mean, it seems there is only the one simple way to calculate fuel requirements and injector pulse width. Does the ECM degenerate in some fashion? Other reasons for updating? Can anyone comment on this?

rcnjson
12-08-2006, 09:38 AM
I know nothing about TBI but I can speak intellegently about the mass air EFI system available from Ford. There are a lot of different "ECM's" available for automotive use because of the different applications that the system was used on. There are truck computers, mustang computers, late mustang computers, crown vic computers, lightning computers... They had quite a few programs. There was an issue in the early 90's with the 5.0's and people wrecking their transmissions. Basically the program was pretty hot and when you ripped a gear, the tranny couldn't take it. So in 92 and 93 the program was more conservative. Basically the changes were timing related (computer would pull timing when you let off the gas to limit the jerk when you power shift). The best flash to have on the ford computer is A9L. That is the most aggressive that the factory settings ever were. So how does this answer your question? Well, any one of the computers will run an engine it was designed to run, but to get maximum performance out of each application there is some adjustment from the base program needed. That being said, there may be some power left or a performance gain with a little tweak. Little tweaks could be increasing the maximum RPM, injector pulse width, or timing advance, For instance the ford computer takes coolant temperature into account when it figures out the fuel tables. So if you can run cooler you can get a more aggressive fuel table = more power. So a simple way to keep the coolant cool, for a while anyways, is to run a cooler thermostat. Anyways maybe this helped???

Ric
12-08-2006, 09:55 AM
They can update the ecm for efi computers but I dont know about tbi, I guess it depends on the generation of the computer in the boat to begin with... my 05MCX had to be reflashed to allow me to run drive by wire perfect pass, so I guess the tbi would need the same?
I think I read that the ETXCats on the new motors for 07 do have a closed loop system not found in earlier models, making them more like an automotive system...

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I know nothing about TBI... this helped???

Thanks for the post! I understand the general concepts around MPI, TBI, ignition timing, pulse width, load, speed, etc., etc.. I am just asking, specifically, if MC is updating their TBI programs.

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
...my 05MCX had to be reflashed to allow me to run drive by wire perfect pass, so I guess the tbi would need the same?

Interesting...thanks! Do you know why?

Ric
12-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Interesting...thanks! Do you know why? why the reflash for PP? Yes, MC programmed the ECM to run Mastercraft Cruise and it would not accept PP commands until the ECM was reflashed, disabling MC cruise in the ECM.

MYMC
12-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Back on my "OK....so I got my 'new' MC" thread, Rob posted a comment about having the computer flashed with the latest code. I asked about this, and since no one responded :cry: I am going to start a new topic here.

I would be surprised if the engineers have learned anything more than the original, proven temperature-pressure-density system with look-up tables that would require updating. I mean, it seems there is only the one simple way to calculate fuel requirements and injector pulse width. Does the ECM degenerate in some fashion? Other reasons for updating? Can anyone comment on this?
The ECM are updated as the cals are updated with fixes for issues like cold start, hot start and so on...trust me they are released long before they are perfect.

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2006, 10:50 AM
The ECM are updated as the cals are updated with fixes for issues like cold start, hot start and so on...trust me they are released long before they are perfect.

I guess it is just like every other code is released long before perfect. Great point! Thanks. So every MC dealer should have these updates, or just the really knowledgable ones located in, say....Charlotte?

Ric
12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
they should have them. our guy had a laptop with the connector which made it easy to do a flash while still on the boat

JimN
07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I guess it is just like every other code is released long before perfect. Great point! Thanks. So every MC dealer should have these updates, or just the really knowledgable ones located in, say....Charlotte?

The Legend has them, in SE Wisconsin. We did recals when needed when we worked for the same company, in 2000. They required us to send the ECMs in for this because they hadn't gotten it to the point where they could e-mail the files for us to load and the software wasn't released to the dealers before that. I only needed to do one and that was on an early 2001 ProStar with the LTR. They did the development for the program prior to that model year and at some point, some genius at Rochester decided to eliminate the machining operation that drilled a hole in the throttle plate, which of course meant that nobody at MC or Indmar was told about it until they started seeing hot start issues. The hole provided enough of the idle air that when it was omitted, it choked the motor and the fix was to open the IAC 13 additional steps. Took less than 10 minutes and the guy had no idea that his boat had any kind of computer.

Jesus_Freak
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
The Legend has them, in SE Wisconsin. We did recals when needed when we worked for the same company, in 2000. They required us to send the ECMs in for this because they hadn't gotten it to the point where they could e-mail the files for us to load and the software wasn't released to the dealers before that. I only needed to do one and that was on an early 2001 ProStar with the LTR. They did the development for the program prior to that model year and at some point, some genius at Rochester decided to eliminate the machining operation that drilled a hole in the throttle plate, which of course meant that nobody at MC or Indmar was told about it until they started seeing hot start issues. The hole provided enough of the idle air that when it was omitted, it choked the motor and the fix was to open the IAC 13 additional steps. Took less than 10 minutes and the guy had no idea that his boat had any kind of computer.

Thanks for the update. Hilarious (in a corporate mess-up kind of way).

JimN
07-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the update. Hilarious (in a corporate mess-up kind of way).

The Rochester thing? Oh, yeah. MC and Indmar were absolutely thrilled when they started to get calls from dealers all over the country.