PDA

View Full Version : Top Speed Revisited

Carbon Dreams
12-07-2006, 09:02 PM
OK, here are the Top Speed numbers for an '07 X-45.
I went out on the lake yesterday to confirm performance numbers. I had a full tank of fuel and me an my son on board. The outside air temp was 35F. Man, do I love seat heaters and a strong heater!

Engine: MCX

Prop: OJ 14.25 X 14.5 Four Blade

GPS on and stable...RPM 5050 yields 39.5MPH.

Great for wakeboarding and surfing, bad for cruising.

Humpf...gotta get in the 40's somehow...Any suggestions for a second, cruising prop?

Jerseydave
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
FWIW, my '03 230VRS (MCX) runs 45mph with a 14X17 prop.
That may be what you need.

Mine also runs 48-49 with a 14X20 stainless OJ 4 blade.

PendO
12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
You have previously been welcomed to the MasterCraft club ... now consider yourself welcomed to the ... my boat is too slow club ... there are no membership dues ... all we (I) have to offer is shared frustration, and possibly a T-shirt if the frustration ever grows to that point:)

I think with the MCX and the wetted surface on your X-45, combined with the elevation ... what you see is what you get:(

I swapped props on my 197, got a few more RPM's, but virtually no change in speed.

Waterski-Marcoisland
12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I also have the 14.25 x 14.5 oj on my X2 with the 5.7 crusader resulting in 39-40 speeds. I spoke with Zane and he mentioned that this prop was installed to increase torq out of the whole and more power when weighting the boat for wakeboarding. I think I will be bumping it up to a 14x17

bigmac
12-07-2006, 11:17 PM
OK, here are the Top Speed numbers for an '07 X-45.
I went out on the lake yesterday to confirm performance numbers. I had a full tank of fuel and me an my son on board. The outside air temp was 35F. Man, do I love seat heaters and a strong heater!

Engine: MCX

Prop: OJ 14.25 X 14.5 Four Blade

GPS on and stable...RPM 5050 yields 39.5MPH.

Great for wakeboarding and surfing, bad for cruising.

Humpf...gotta get in the 40's somehow...Any suggestions for a second, cruising prop?

My suggestion is to ask that question of Eric Johson at OJ or Bill Weeks at Acme. Either one of those guys will be happy to talk to you to try to solve your problem and I am absolutely certain that they know more about propellers and applications than anyone on this board. I've talked to Bill Weeks on the phone many times, and I have this running email conversation going with him as well. I can attest to absolutely excellent customer service at Acme.

Carbon Dreams
12-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys. My dealer said he would help procure props for testing. The 14x17 sounds like the ticket. I'm not really looking for FAST top speed. If that were the case I would have made a different boat selection. I still want the smaller dia prop for pulling, I would just like a more efficient cruiser prop for delta running or big lake use. FYI: with the 14.25x14.5 there is not an issue coming out of the hole even with full ballast and the fat sacks full. Very impressive what a specific prop can do.

MYMC
12-08-2006, 10:34 AM
I have the fixes here in my office there are a couple of options and combinations. The 2007 needs both there is no simple resolution. If you are interested call me at 704-525-6660 and I will discuss it with you in all the detail you desire. I have been working on this since July.