PDA

View Full Version : X-15 on order

Michael Epp
12-07-2006, 09:41 PM
I have an X-15 on order with the new 400 HP engine. For those of you with this engine, what's the top speed? I see that the prop pitch is 19.5" compared to 18" with the 350 engine. The 400 HP engine revs up to 5600 RPM so I'm assuming top end will be close to 50 MPH. I've ordered it with 2 tower speakers. Is it worthwhile to go with 4 tower speakers? My dealer said I'll get more sway in the tower with the extra weight. Any thoughts or experience with this? I'm expecting that the X-15 handles big water better than my '04 X-10. Most of my boating is on big lakes, and often cruising 20+ miles away from the marina. I'm expecting that we'll feel more secure in the X-15. Does that stepped (or notched) hull make a difference? Any comments or experiencies would be appreciated?

X-2
12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Not sure what the top speed is, but most of the bigger motors in the past just have more torque. You might gain a couple mph though. my X-2 came with 2 tower speakers & I just added 2 more with lights. I'll tell you what, them bad boys are pretty heavy. They are quite a piece of work, however...very well made. 4 tower speakers made the boat look complete & sounds quite a bit better, most of the sound is driven back towards the rider of course. The X-15 should handle any of the bigger lakes fine. I think the stepped hull is more or less just for wake control, at slower speeds it makes bigger wakes, at faster speeds, smaller wakes. I am no expert, but maybe this helps...

Michael Epp
12-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I appreciate the comments. Nice paint combination on your X-2. I also went with the "switch" design (viper red; silver flake on the back part; with a black stripe). I'll consider your recommendation and maybe add 2 speakers (with lights). Right now its ordered with 2 speakers; 2 forward facing light pods; and the rear facing light bar. Can't wait until spring!!

sand2snow22
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Your dealer is right, the extra 2 speakers will make your tower sway back and forth more. Especially in the chop.....Maybe an alternative is to power the 2 tower speakers with a separate amp, getting the most power and sound of only two speakers.......

Congrats on the new boat.......

jsnipes
12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Check my pics to see my speaker setup. I do not get excessive sway and am very happy with the setup...and that's with the '06 tower which is supposedly less stiff than the '07. You will not believe the difference in rougher water ... you'll be very, very happy. I've got the MCX so can not comment on the top speed with the larger engine.

Enjoy ...

Jamie

erkoehler
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Get the extra speakers on the tower from the factory, they are EXPENSIVE to get after the fact.

Michael Epp
12-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments / suggestions. I contacted my dealer requesting the additional 2 speakers (with lights). I also asked for their comments regarding possible gel coat cracking due to swaying of the tower.

erkoehler
12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
The new towers are STRONG! I wouldn't be too worried.