PDA

View Full Version : 2000 hours???

mig
12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I found out the boat I have been thinking about, 01 19Skier, has 2000 hours. My 91PStar only has 1035 and I thought it was used. Owner claims zero course skiing, just pulling learners and all types of toys. Opinions on mechanicals with that many hours? Thanks.

Mikey
12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Seems like ALOT of use. I guess it mostly depends on how well its been maintained and if it has been rebuilt or not. Regardless if you buy it you should plan on dropping some money in repairs/rebuilds in the near future.

east tx skier
12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
The number I've heard thrown around as far as usable life on these engines is 2,000 hours. With good maintenance, I've known people who have gotten more hours out of one of these engines.

Were I in your shoes, and decided to get a newer boat, I would keep looking.

Archimedes
12-07-2006, 04:52 PM
I found out the boat I have been thinking about, 01 19Skier, has 2000 hours. My 91PStar only has 1035 and I thought it was used. Owner claims zero course skiing, just pulling learners and all types of toys. Opinions on mechanicals with that many hours? Thanks.

2000 hours in 5-6 years?!!! That had to be a ski school/camp boat. Run away.

BrianM
12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Wow six seasons of use and that is 333 hours per year! That is a lot of use. I would have to think that this was a ski school, club or summer camp boat sometime in there.

But I do not necessarily agree with Archimedes about running away. Some school/camp boats are very well taken care of but others are not. Lots of use is not necessarily a bad thing and can be a good thing if it was well maintained. Just do as JimN says and definitely do compression, leakdown and other tests on the boat so if you do purchase it you know what you are in for.

mig
12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
A summer camp boat for younger kids - not even a ski camp. It does not look cherry inside or out, especially on the transom, but underneath is scratchless from being on a shorestation. I am trying to guess at a value, NADA says low is $16K, but I don't think they had this in mind.

Archimedes
12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
A summer camp boat for younger kids - not even a ski camp. It does not look cherry inside or out, especially on the transom, but underneath is scratchless from being on a shorestation. I am trying to guess at a value, NADA says low is $16K, but I don't think they had this in mind.

Meaning they are expecting more than $16k?! For a boat with a motor that is clearly EOLing, regardless of how well it is maintained?

That's a joke. You could get a very low hour 94PS190 for that or less.

BrianM
12-07-2006, 05:28 PM

What area of the country are you in? I would buy that '95 that has about 400 hrs on it for $14k before I would pay the same amount or more for the '01 Skier with 2k hours. Same boat.

east tx skier
12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Were I you, I don't think I'd trade my 91 with half the hours and a powerslot for it unless you're pulling through spray. MC sold a lot of boats with this hull. There will be others.