PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Ski Holder

pram
12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I am looking to design some kind of a ski holder that would sit on the side of the boat. I have come up with a preliminary design (note that it isn't to scale). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it (good, bad or otherwise). I am thinking of making it out of 1 1/4" plastic with a foam/rubber backing to protect the boat. I also would only use it while we are actually out skiing so that we can keep the skis off of the floor.

shepherd
12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Great idea pram! Where would you mount it, on the side of the boat? My only concern would be that some of the shorter-line slalom skiers will pull the ski rope out almost perpendicular to the boat, so the rack might be in the way???

Jesus_Freak
12-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting the file! Would it work with the ski holder "arms" being a little shorter than 8, 9, and 10", respectively?

M-Funf
12-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I like it! Like shepherd said, it may be a problem for short liners, but for long liners it shouldn't be.

I've been looking for a ski storage solution for a while now. I don't like skis on the floor either. I was thinking about putting a rack under the gunnels on either side and storing the skis on their sided. The boots would still stick out where I walk, but at least I'm not stepping all over them...Your rack design might be a better solution for me! Well, except that I don't have grab rails.

DanC
12-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Nice design. Looks robust and puts very little strain on the fiberglass.

Couple more things to think about.
Makes approaching a dock or another boat on that side a bit risky.
You will find that the spray from the side of the boat will hit the skis and be directed into the boat. This really pisses off anybody sitting in the back seat. It will not happen all the time but at some moment between 0-28 mph and during some turns.

pram
12-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for posting the file! Would it work with the ski holder "arms" being a little shorter than 8, 9, and 10", respectively?

I don't see why they couldn't be shorter. I had originally drawn it up as I was going to make a wakeboard rack for the tower that I made last year (look in my pictures the tower is a work of art if I do say so myself).

I only ski at 15off so for me it wasn't going to be a big deal for the rope coming all the way over. If a person is skiing really deep do they come perpendicular to the boat?

I had originally thought about putting it on the drivers side but I think that it will go on the passengers as I always put the skier on my side of the boat.

I also think that I will incorporate some kind of a bungy system to keep the ski in place.

Ric
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
From time to time schnitzskis.com has some really cute slalom ski holders that can sit on the side of the boat !

east tx skier
12-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Overtons used to offer (and may still) a slalom ski holder that mounted on the top deck of the gunnels. Correct Craft had a holder that mounted to the floor and to something inside the combing pad. On www.planetnautique.com, I think someone has been trying to sell a set for a while. I've not heard any reviews about the one sold by overtons. The one CC had was a robust design, but I recall people complaining about fit problems for their skis of one sort or another. But my memory may have faded on that one.

thijs
12-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I also put skiiers on the drivers side. But for the same reason I always dock on that side. They look good other wise.

loeweb
12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Good design. What about hanging the holder inside the boat. Same idea but just put the holder on a longer hook and the skis would sit below the gunnels and off the floor. It would probably be tougher to get at the bottom ski, but again the skis could be stacked, and out of the way of everything. Again, looks good the way it is. If it will work for you do it. Others will jump on board if they see you have success with the idea.

shepherd
12-07-2006, 02:57 PM
If a person is skiing really deep do they come perpendicular to the boat?

Pretty dang close! I don't know if you have the Edged in Water DVD, but when I was watching Chris Parrish's "casual 41 off" pass it looked like he was straight to the side of the boat when he was at the ball :worthy:

Even at shorter (than 41 off) line lengths, the rope can swing forward pretty far.

BrianM
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Overtons still has one available. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=12810&fcat=

Ric
12-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I think majarajah had an ad with suzanne sommers, she is a good looking ski holder too

mash
12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I think you guys just solved something that's been puzzling me about my boat. There are two sets of four screws on the top of the starboard gunnel. Must have been mounting holes some sort of ski holder. I thought about posting pictures for some help figuring it out.

Thanks!

Seems like I learn something every time I log on.

Jesus_Freak
12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
If a person is skiing really deep do they come perpendicular to the boat?

Well, sketch it out....line length....distance to buoy, etc. Geometry says nearly yes.

Question: The cross section of the hull to which you are mounting is for what boat? Is it a standard contour? I mean, if you documented the curves and distances, would that be typical for MCs? Maybe some of the other mounts discussed here have addressed that...anyone?

H20skeefreek
12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
So, is this something that you are looking to market? If so, I think it looks more robust than other things available. The only problem I see is the boat x-section. This may very well match your boat, but won't match most. If you make it a little more universal, you may have something there. In regards to shortline skiers, what about putting it on grab rails in the bow of the boat for those who have open bow boats?

Jesus_Freak
12-11-2006, 11:41 PM
So Pram, what is up with your ski holder? I need something for next year, and my wife warned me not to put anything cheesy on the boat. I figure I will let you work out the kinks. :D

pram
12-12-2006, 12:19 AM
This weekend coming up I am going to go out to the shed and make an accurate profile of the side of my boat then I will start to mock it out of wood then once I have it down I will complete the drawing, digitize it have it cut out mount it. Once I am done you will be more than welcome to a copy of the pattern to get one made. I think that it is going to work great. I wonder if mastercraft would be willing to give me CAD drawing of the cross section of my boat??????:rolleyes:

H20skeefreek
12-12-2006, 06:57 AM
I wonder if mastercraft would be willing to give me CAD drawing of the cross section of my boat??????:rolleyes:

While this would be great, I'm betting.....no.

Jesus_Freak
12-12-2006, 08:53 AM
...I wonder if mastercraft would be willing to give me CAD drawing of the cross section of my boat??????:rolleyes:

In my line of work, I am constantly having to ask companies for 3D CAD files to spare me some model CADing time before simulations. Yes, they typically give me the :rolleyes: treatment. A) It seldom hurts to ask, and B) As previously stated, it may be better to somehow generalize the design. Please keep us posted.

DanC
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't want to be a party pooper because I think the implementation of your design is really sharp.
But above the gunwale ski holders don't work out too well because the ski rope will catch on it. Even at a 75 foot rope length, the rope is at a 30 degree angle for a course distance turn. That means it crosses the gunwale at about 40" up from the stern on a 90" beam boat.

Even the cap from my flush mounted stern light socket didn't survive the rope rubbings of 6 months.

If you are going to position the skis below the gunwale on the outside, before you go any further, I highly recommend you go drive your boat and look at the side spray when you start and stop . You will find it problematic. Don't take my word for it, go look for yourself.

DanC
12-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Overtons used to offer (and may still) a slalom ski holder that mounted on the top deck of the gunnels. Correct Craft had a holder that mounted to the floor and to something inside the combing pad. On www.planetnautique.com, I think someone has been trying to sell a set for a while. I've not heard any reviews about the one sold by overtons. The one CC had was a robust design, but I recall people complaining about fit problems for their skis of one sort or another. But my memory may have faded on that one.

The ski rack on my CC was nice but the size of the boots, angle of the fin, and curved tip made the fit difficult. Worked ok for one serious slalom ski or the adult/kids doubles.
Here is the rack someone was selling as Doug mentioned.

DanC
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Another set. Mine were a cross between these and the ones above. I liked 'em, got one ski off the floor.

DanC
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Overtons used to offer (and may still) a slalom ski holder that mounted on the top deck of the gunnels....... I've not heard any reviews about the one sold by overtons.......
My parents had this rack for a couple of years, worked pretty well. Only problem was that it was not very rigid (probably why it didn't break) and would kinda flop around in rough water. It definitely should be mounted vertical. The rocker on modern slaloms, binding hardware and large fins make it near impossible to fit two in the same rack.

Jesus_Freak
12-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks Dan for all the pics and product reviews. So, in conclusion, there is no easy solution, or did I just miss it?

Ron Grover
12-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Just a couple concerns from experience.

I have a 1993 Prostar 205. With the family in the boat along with equipment it was pretty crowded. I too thought it would be great to store wakeboards with a design similiar to your drawing. My solution was to buy a Wake Designs wakeboard rack for a tower. My advantage is that I have a top natch machinist working for me so I had the engineer design a clamp bracket to fit on the grab rail pretty much as you designed. The clamp used the same principal as the one Wake Designs had for the tower. Clamped on and worked great. Didn't have rope issues due to the fact mine was shorted and I mounted it up close behind driver.

Now for the issue that caused concern. After a year I noticed the grab rail getting weaker and looser due to the constant outward pressure. Didn't experience any cracks in the fiberglass but I am sure they were to come with longer use. I discontinued using the rack and sold it on Ebay.

I believe the design would be good if you have a way of mounting through the fiberglass and put a bracket on the back side to spread the pressure over a larger area of fiberglass.

Just my $.02 from experience.