PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend Lakes in TX?

SoCalBrew
12-07-2006, 05:10 AM
My wife and I are thinking about relocating to a lake in TX (or other warm state) where we can have a lakefront house, with docks (floating or permanent) for the boats. Looking for the type of lake where there is a community... marinas, restaurants, shops all a plus. We don't want to be too rural. Texas has sounded intriguing for a while for us, but we dont know where/how to begin looking.

Thanks for any insight.

Tom

sanjuan23
12-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Narrow down your area and one of us Texas boys will be glad to make suggestions. 268,601 square miles needs to narrowed down a bit.:D

Ric
12-07-2006, 10:37 AM
California is much nicer, maybe you should stay?

G-man
12-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Consider the weatherford area and a home on the Brazos River. Most waterski communities have restrictions on wakeboard boats.

milkmania
12-07-2006, 10:41 AM
aha!

found the reason you're looking for the other warm state
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=274016&postcount=2354

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Is that a hint you dont want him in your state Ric?

TX.X-30 fan
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Is that a hint you dont want him in your state Ric?

And that coming from a guy with a new RED TRAILER. 8p

sanjuan23
12-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Consider the weatherford area and a home on the Brazos River. Most waterski communities have restrictions on wakeboard boats.

Stay away from there it's just way too rural.....

RexDog1
12-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Ric be nice:mad:

You Californian hater you :uglyhamme

G-man
12-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Stay away from there it's just way too rural.....

Thats funny

Ric
12-07-2006, 11:34 AM
just funnin boys
you know that but I thought I'd post it before socal went norcal rodl on me :purplaugh:

Kyle's_prostar205
12-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Try the Austin area. Lake Travis is awesome!!! I do not know about lake front property but it is one of the best lakes I have been on!

RexDog1
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM
just funnin boys
you know that but I thought I'd post it before socal went norcal rodl on me :purplaugh:

........................Now that is funny :toast:

east tx skier
12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Try the Austin area. Lake Travis is awesome!!! I do not know about lake front property but it is one of the best lakes I have been on!

Nothing to see in Austin. But if you end up east of Dallas, you will have my sympathies and my gas money.

Harvey
12-07-2006, 12:22 PM
There are some great spots in Texas to ski. Just don't come to mine.

All kidding aside, there are three large metro areas (houston, DFW, San Antonio) and a few more medium to large cities to choose from so you are going to have to give us Southern Folk a little more direction. Otherwise you might end up with recomendations for Amistad Reservoir (on the Rio Grande) or Buffalo Springs (a mudhole in the panhandle).

Ric
12-07-2006, 12:56 PM
It's kindof a big state

Maristar210
12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
:rolleyes: It's kindof a big state:rolleyes: ............................:D

east tx skier
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Another bit of advice. Figure out what the water source for the lake is. Apart from Houston, the lakes dependent on rainfall have extraordinarily low the past two years.

sanjuan23
12-07-2006, 01:09 PM
2nd that I am about to start an evening ritualistic rain dance. This is getting about dam ridiculous around here.

east tx skier
12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
We're expecting some rain next week. On of our nearby lakes is 99" down right now. Fortunately, the places I like to go had sufficient water all year.

TMCNo1
12-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Another bit of advice. Figure out what the water source for the lake is. Apart from Houston, the lakes dependent on rainfall have extraordinarily low the past two years.

If people would just leave their boats out in the rain, then they wouldn't have to come home with that much water in the bilge and lower the lake levels!

JKTX21
12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
There are some great spots in Texas to ski. Just don't come to mine.

Yep, we ain't got no water neither. I've heard Amarillo is lovely this time of year for riding though :confused:

sanjuan23
12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Yep, we ain't got no water neither. I've heard Amarillo is lovely this time of year for riding though :confused:
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

tex
12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
My wife and I are thinking about relocating to a lake in TX (or other warm state) where we can have a lakefront house, with docks (floating or permanent) for the boats. Looking for the type of lake where there is a community... marinas, restaurants, shops all a plus. We don't want to be too rural. Texas has sounded intriguing for a while for us, but we dont know where/how to begin looking.

Thanks for any insight.

Tom
Tom,

It just depends on where you want to live and what kind of riding/skiing you do. It would also matter as to what kind of work you do. Send me a PM with your # and I would love to help you out.

SoCalBrew
12-08-2006, 05:52 AM
I would say anywhere between Dallas and San Antonio... also possibly East of Dallas... Austin has sounded intriguing. But we are open to ANY suggestion in ANY state. While I agree Texas is a big state, I suspect that there is a fairly limited amount of "Prime" lakes. The majority of lakes in CA are reservoir that are owned by the government... No houses are built/allowed on those.

Also, a note, I spent my summers on a Lake called Lake of the Ozarks in southern Missouri. A lake similar to that would be ideal. It is on our list of lakes that we are considering.

G-Man, can you explain what you mean by a waterski community having a restriction on a wakeboard boat? I've skied for 32 years, and have recently started boarding... and I enjoy them both... plan on doing them both. Have both kind of boats!

Also, the comment about the weatherford area... over my head... not sure if it was a suggestion... or humor.

Tom,
It just depends on where you want to live and what kind of riding/skiing you do. It would also matter as to what kind of work you do. Send me a PM with your # and I would love to help you out.

To clariy the above comment, I'm a serious skier... used to ski in College. I love to chase down the galss at sun-up and sun-down, and I love to run the course when I can (not often these days). I also recently discovered wakeboarding... I like it a lot. I don't think I'll be attempting anything like rails or ramps... I value my face and bones too much.

As far as work? I run a recording studio in Hollywood... and I just need to get away from it for a while... I long while... All I need is a blaxing fast internet connection, a lake front house, and a dock with a roof for my two boats.

The only reason that we don't want to go too rural, is for our kids... the schools and the friends.

Thanks for all the comments... well, most of them anyway, and I again appreciate your help.

Tom

SoCalBrew
12-08-2006, 06:28 AM
We're expecting some rain next week. On of our nearby lakes is 99" down right now. Fortunately, the places I like to go had sufficient water all year.

I'm interested in hearing about that places you go... Are they spring fed? or rivers?

For me, it almost doesn't matter where it is, as long as it has a great lake, and relatively close access to a decent sized city... Not the size of LA... which is way to big.

99" down? I've seen a lot of pictures of Texas houses for sale on Lakehouse.com, and it seems like a lot of them are low. Is that very unusual? Looked like a lot docks were completely dry - no way to get the boat out. Yikes.

Tom

Ric
12-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Lake Travis in Austin would be like lake of the ozarks
boathouses there will be by permit and on floats as the lake changes levels often. That whole area was run up by dell people in the 90's so I am not sure whats going on there now as far as pricing and traffic and schools

east tx skier
12-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm interested in hearing about that places you go... Are they spring fed? or rivers?

For me, it almost doesn't matter where it is, as long as it has a great lake, and relatively close access to a decent sized city... Not the size of LA... which is way to big.

99" down? I've seen a lot of pictures of Texas houses for sale on Lakehouse.com, and it seems like a lot of them are low. Is that very unusual? Looked like a lot docks were completely dry - no way to get the boat out. Yikes.

Tom

Shoot me a PM. Also, google "Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife". They have a map and links to lakes all over Texas.

So what size is decent sized. My little podunk town has (depending on which surrounding communities you count) 100K to 150k people. I consider this to be small having lived in a large metro area all of my life but the last 5 years. There are several spring fed lakes within 30 minutes of here. There's a great river about an hour from here. When you go to the TDP&W website, you'll quickly see that there are a LOT of public lakes in Texas.

As for water levels, the last time it was anywhere near this bad was 2000. The last two years have been bad, but you can still find places to go. A rainy winter and we're back where we need to be. Just depends.

Ryan
12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
...we are open to ANY suggestion in ANY state. Also, a note, I spent my summers on a Lake called Lake of the Ozarks in southern Missouri...The only reason that we don't want to go too rural, is for our kids... the schools and the friends.

Have you looked into Springfield MO? It'll get you close enough to Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock and still give you enough Metro and good schools. I was just checking out Realtor.com on the area if you have any equity in your home in Valencia you'll be sittin' pretty.

I personally think you are going to run into big crouds trying to get lakefront by a city. Have you considered doing the split in cost, say buying a big house in Springfield and a medium sized lakefront home on Lake of the Ozarks? Or Dallas, and a lake 1-2 hrs out that won't be as crouded as Lake Ray Hubbard...

I've been chasing your same idea for two solid years now. And unless I go to Florida, I've consigned to living in the boonies aka close town with 10k > pop. There are quite a few that fit this, a nice one is 1.5 hr south of Dallas that has a private lake community right next to a big public lake, you could store you ski boat at your house and the wake boat at the local marina. I can't remember the name, I'm sure one of the Dallas guys knows the name off hand.

Harvey
12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
My first thought was Possum Kingdom; however that lake is about two hours from any town with more than 50K people in it. The three lakes come to mind are Lake Travis in Austin, Lake Lewisville near DFW, and Lake Livingston north of Houston. There really aren't any lakes that are the size of LOO and are anywhere near civilization.

1) Lake Travis has generally high priced real estate but is close to Austin, some parts are less than a half hour from downtown. The lake has two navigable rivers that feed it and both provide some nice skiing. The downfall is permit only docks and the water level fluctuates a lot. This year we have been in drought conditions. The lake is currently at 643.89 and the elevation when full is 681 feet above sea level. Like some people have said we need rain!! http://www.lcra.org/ is a good resource for Lake Travis and the rest of the lakes in the chain.

2) Lake Lewisville is a Corp of Engineers Lake which means that you can own property on the lake but they own a strip of land between you and the lake. Docks must be existing and very few are added. It has a very large lake feel but isn't really huge. The lake is about 30-45 mins or so from downtown Dallas and about the same from Ft Worth. The downfalls to this lake are its traffic, the ability to build a dock, and water fluctuation. Lake Lewisville is by far the busiest lake in the metroplex. There are a lot of boating accidents due to the traffic and drinking, which is rampant on the lake. The ski areas are not bad but you have to ski them at the crack of dawn or at sundown to get anything resembling good water. The other issue is the water level. It is currently 10 feet low. Not the best resources but here is some info on the lake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Lewisville

3) Lake Livingston is a good sized lake about an hour north of Houston. I know the least about this lake but I do know that it has some really great ski conditions on the north end. I believe that you can build a dock on the lake. Since you didn't mention Houston I won't go into detail. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/livingston/ for some info.

If you pick the DFW area then you have a large local wakeboarding community (http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com) in addition to a couple local ski clubs. The Austin area has a fairly decent sized wakeboard community (http://www.360wakeboard.com) and at least one ski club. In addition to all the public lakes there are a ton of small private ski communities scattered throughout Dallas and the Austin/San Antonio area. The only thing with the ski communities is they tend to not be setup up properly for wakeboarding. The larger wakes tend to erode the shores a little more than most of the lakes are built for.

Here is a link with all of the public texas lakes and a little info on them all. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/

Harvey
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
There are quite a few that fit this, a nice one is 1.5 hr south of Dallas that has a private lake community right next to a big public lake, you could store you ski boat at your house and the wake boat at the local marina. I can't remember the name, I'm sure one of the Dallas guys knows the name off hand.

That ski community is Lakes at Timber Cove. http://www.lakesattimbercove.com/

It is located in Granbury which is not a large town but not small. They might have 50-75K people living in Granbury and surrounding.

Ryan
12-08-2006, 12:26 PM
That ski community is Lakes at Timber Cove. http://www.lakesattimbercove.com/

It is located in Granbury which is not a large town but not small. They might have 50-75K people living in Granbury and surrounding.

Thanks for the name, I couldn't find it. The population is more encouraging than I thought. IIRC CitySearch showed something under 10k.

sanjuan23
12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Last time I checked they had only two lots left for sale. I just cant swallow the 1.5 hr. Commute everyday.

Harvey
12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the name, I couldn't find it. The population is more encouraging than I thought. IIRC CitySearch showed something under 10k.

I am being optimistic about the 50K. You have to stretch that circle of the surrounding area out pretty big to get 75K. I was pretty much including the whole county which as of 2000 had almost 42K. The city of Granbury itself only has about 10K people in it.