PDA

View Full Version : Replacing IPOD Mini battery?

mitch
12-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Anyone replaced an IPOD Mini battery themselves? Easy? Know of a good source for the battery? Seems to be millions of them on ebay, but not sure which is best. Thanks for any advice. Hope this is posted in the proper place on TT :D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I asked this same thing maybe a year ago because mine was acting up. I ended up doing the reset on it (as it states in the instructions) and its been fine ever since.
If I recall, Leroy and Diesel have done them personnally. And it appears they are no big deal to do.
If you did a google search on ipod battery replacements, there were alot of sites with instructions (and sales). If I recall all there is to it is splitting the top of the case, pulling out the internals, and soldering in the new battery.

OR Apple does a swap for like $99 bucks or something and you get someone else's referb that needed a battery or service....(As I gather)

Leroy
12-07-2006, 09:46 AM
I did it with a regular IPOD with a friend at work here who has a hobby of buying and fixing IPODs. Battery and screen replacement is very easy. Use a credit card to crack open the case. I would not hesitate to do again.

mitch
12-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try the reset 1st, but after charging for 3 hours, it lasted 11 seconds. Not looking good for me. OEM batts are about 23 bucks w/ tools and instructions.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Leroy, do you know what type of battery they use?

coreman
12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I just did this last week. It is pretty straight forward and took about 15 minutes to accomplish. I found the battery on Ebay for 10 bucks. I would not hesitate to do it again. Very inexpensive fix and got to keep my own Ipod instead of spending $80 more and getting someones elses Ipod back. Good luck.

mitch
12-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Li-ion

Yup, took 15 minutes, and 12 bucks, works great!