PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Set Up

dh_bennison
12-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi,

I have just bought a Pro Star 190 which has a JVC Head Unit and 4 speakers (6x9s) in the side pannels. I have also just bought 2 x AudioFormz 6.5 Polk Audio Tower Speaker. My questions are

Do I need an Amplifier? The stero has 4 channels but I have 6 speakers now. How do I wire it all up? If I do buy an amp what do I wire it to and do all the speakers need to run off it?

Can anybody recommed a suitable amp for the job?

Thanks
Dave

cbryan70
12-06-2006, 06:37 PM
you will not beable to hook 6 speakers up to a 4 channel reciever. You would get no power and it would make it sound like crap...also it could fry your head unit. Depending how much you want to spend if you get an amp look for 6 channel. That would make a huge difference in sound. If you like the sound your head unit puts out then you can keep 4 of the speakers plugged into it and run a 2 channel amp. Depending on money i would run as many speakers as possible on an amp. It makes a very big difference in sound quality. 2 channel is two speakers 4 channel will run 4 and so on. 2 and 4 channel are most common and theirfor cheaper then a 6 channel amp. Wireing is simple if you have rca's on the back of your head unit. ALl you do is plug the rca's into the head unit and run them to the amp. Get some thing gauge wire and run power and ground from the battery if possible...power MUST be connected to the battery. You will also have a blue wire which will tell the amp when to turn on and off, your head unit will have an area to plug it in. If you do this the amp will turn on when the head unit is on. If you head unit doesnt have rca's which is doubtful you can get somthing that will convert regular speaker wire into rca's. You shouldnt have to worrie about that. The amp will have area's to wire the speakers. So get power and ground, run blue wire to amp or you can also run to ignition, attach rca's and then attach speaker wires and you are done. The amp wont turn on unless speakers are attached....i learned that the hard way! :-) hope this helps

cbryan70
12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
also...if you have a dry place for the amp you dont need to spend the extra money on a marine amp. Just be positive it wont get wet!

Archimedes
12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Can anybody recommed a suitable amp for the job?

JL Audio M6450.

dh_bennison
12-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks.

So if I have all my 4 current speakers running of the Headunit how do I plug the amp into the heads unit? Is their an extra socket on the stereo to plug it into? What is an RCA

Sorry do sound dumb!!!

Thanks
Dave

cbryan70
12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
well its kinda the same thing you hook your dvd player up to on the back of your tv....get an amp hookup and it will have them in there...on the back of the head unit there will probably be 2 or 4 rca plugs depending how old it is. I think they are white and red plugs.....if you go to best buy or somthing they will show you and you will know what im talking about....just look on the back of your tv for some colored plugs and that is what rca jacks are.

dh_bennison
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Great thanks for the help

milkmania
12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
well its kinda the same thing you hook your dvd player up to on the back of your tv....get an amp hookup and it will have them in there...on the back of the head unit there will probably be 2 or 4 rca plugs depending how old it is. I think they are white and red plugs.....if you go to best buy or somthing they will show you and you will know what im talking about....just look on the back of your tv for some colored plugs and that is what rca jacks are.

don't forget his location;)

RCA plugs here----> http://images.google.com/images?q=rca%20plugs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi

JimN
12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
dh- FYI, you can't connect one pair of speakers directly to a head unit and an amp at the same time.

sizzler
01-19-2007, 04:27 AM
don't forget his location;)

what you trying to say milk????