PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Buyers...

Danny R
12-26-2004, 09:31 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaa

André
12-26-2004, 09:42 PM
YOU MAY WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF MY 3 YR OLD BOAT BEFORE YOU MAKE THAT PURCHASE. THEY BROKE MY HEART. dannyr@rogers.com

What's the story? :popcorn:
I feel an angry man coming to the board with an unsolved problem with his MC.
oh,Welcome to Mastercraft Team Talk...

MarkP
12-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Lets see them shots Danny..

Mastercraft wont help out??

Farmer Ted
12-26-2004, 09:50 PM
I'd like to see your pictures and hear your story, I emailed you.

You might also detail what your problem is and what has been done to make it right or what you feel hasn't been done to make it right.

T

Farmer Ted
12-26-2004, 10:16 PM
2000 195?

You bought this boat brand new off the showroom floor or second-hand?

What is the explanation for the bumps?

Have you spoken directly to Mastercraft or going through your dealer?

Let's hear the details man, your post is ambiguous (hey I used a big word) if the boat is under warranty MC needs to step up to the plate.

You should post those pictures here.

André
12-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Just watched Danny's pix.
The riping in the vinyls are bad but i saw worst.i know there were a bad batch of vinyls aroud the 2000 boats.I know a 3 or 4 years old boat shouldn't look like this but i would be OK with free new skins and having them installed to my expenses.I WOULD still be mad though! :mad:
The hull is another thing.That is one hell of a bad case of blistering!
That is not a pretty sight and not acceptable for a boat of that price.
My 94 had to be repaint because of blistering too.Although it been repaint by a professionnal,it lost value not as much as Danny is mentionning but it's worth less.Mine was repaint with DuPONT IMRON and it's still looking great after 3 years.Just less glossy then gel coat.
What did they tell you for the blistering?

Farmer Ted
12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
André:

What was the reason your boat blistered? How much did it cost to get it fixed?

You should probably post some more pictures of your boat pal!

T

Danny R
12-26-2004, 11:46 PM
I am first registered owner boat was a Demo.

mitch
12-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I have a 2K PS205 and my seats looked just like yours. MC sort of stepped up and took care of me on that. I was dealing directly w/ customer quality in TN. Be interested to hear your story.

André
12-27-2004, 10:36 AM
FT
I don't know why it blistered or the cost for repaint because i bought the boat already repaint.Most peoples i have talk to about it have said the main reason for blistering is bad gelcoat.
Some will say that it's because a boat always in water will do that but i'm not buying this one because i had other boats before and i know of all kind of ski boats and i/o that stays in water all season each year with no problems.Lots of members here leave there boat in water with no problems.I really don't know what a boat owner could do wrong so that it's his fault for the gel to blister so all i can think of is bad gelcoat.

MYMC
12-27-2004, 11:16 AM
No details or story...this seems like a strange way to resolve an issue.

André
12-27-2004, 11:20 AM
MYMC
Could you explain what are the reasons for gel to blister on any brand of boat?
Thanks

Ric
12-27-2004, 11:48 AM
same thing happened to the seats in my y2k prostar Danny, but MC stepped up & shipped us brand new skins to replace them. I dont know why the mtrl failed, but I know MC did right by me when I spoke up about it.
as far as the blisters I've never seen that before for sure. I'd like more details as well.

H20skeefreek
12-27-2004, 11:53 AM
MYMC
Could you explain what are the reasons for gel to blister on any brand of boat?
Thanks

I'd be happy to step in here. It's very simple.

Gelcoat is the protective layer over the fiberglass to help prevent water intrusion (osmosis) BUT gelcoat is not perfect, and is a slightly porous surface. If a boat is going to be kept in the water for long periods (more than a few days on an older boat like mine with the older gelcoat or more than a few weeks with current gels) it should have a bottom paint applied. So without more info from Danny, fault cannot be found. We do not know how long it has been left in the water unprotected. If you talk to a good dealer or directly to Venore, I'm sure you will be helped out to some degree, but I wouldn't expect a new hull.

The interior is BS, and should be replaced free of charge.
:rant:

André
12-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Holy cow !
The thread reappeared!
We all know by now that gelcoat is not waterproof...But look around in all the marinas,all those boats sitting in water all season all kinds, all brands.Except for the cruisers with anti fooling paint,everyboat is on bare gelcoat and wax!.Many members here keep their boat in water.
2 guys here just bought new boats without the protective coating having been even offered to them nor mentionned.
Is the hull warranty is decreasing with years so that's why they would only pay for half the tab?
5000 $ US for a re gel of a 195,is that a realistic price?
( I really don't know!)
My humble opinion is that no 4 seasons old skiboat should have those kind of problems when use and maintenance with care even if it sit in water for 5 months a year.
Even less when it's a Mastercraft...

AirJunky
12-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Some will say that it's because a boat always in water will do that but i'm not buying this one because i had other boats before and i know of all kind of ski boats and i/o that stays in water all season each year with no problems.Lots of members here leave there boat in water with no problems.

I'm one of those owners. My '94 lives on the water for months on end, year after year, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't seen anything like these pics. Definitely makes me think I should be looking for a lift soon though.

Danny R
12-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Rico
What new skins did you get? Did you pay for the installation?
Do you mind if I asked what the installation cost you?I was going to get pricing for the installation but when I say all the blisters I wanted to see how that panned out first.
Thanks Danny

latch
12-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Danny,

I really feel for you. I have a 98 ProStar and she is my baby. Washed and waxed every weekend whether we use it or not. While reading your post, you sound like you take care of that boat like I take care of mind. When I saw the pictures, I was shocked. I went outside and checked the bottom of my baby. Man was I releaved that I didn't see any problems. I take great pride in my boat. Most of the members here treat their boats this way. I sure hope you can get your problem resolved. I really think that Mastercraft makes the best product on the market. Right now, you probably don't think that. I've talked to other owners and they think the same. I know sometimes things go bad, don't give up on Mastercraft. I think you just haven't found the right person to talk to. Hang in there.

team north
12-31-2004, 07:28 PM
well my 2 cents worth is your getting screwed, i thought there is a warranty on the hull, and the gel coat to me is part of the hull. Unless its scratches from docks etc. My cousin has 1982 ss that is in the water from june through to oct. it only comes out if its broken and gets waxed about once every 5 years and never even really gets washed, not a single blister or crack on it. As for the interior my friend just got his 1985 ss interior done for the first time this year, so dude i would yell and scream if they ask for any cash for your gel coat, its called good pr.
if they made a lemon it should be their problem not yours

MarkP
12-31-2004, 08:05 PM
well my 2 cents worth is your getting screwed, i thought there is a warranty on the hull, and the gel coat to me is part of the hull. Unless its scratches from docks etc. My cousin has 1982 ss that is in the water from june through to oct. it only comes out if its broken and gets waxed about once every 5 years and never even really gets washed, not a single blister or crack on it. As for the interior my friend just got his 1985 ss interior done for the first time this year, so dude i would yell and scream if they ask for any cash for your gel coat, its called good pr.
if they made a lemon it should be their problem not yours
I see it like that too:rant:

André
12-31-2004, 08:30 PM
I see it like that too:rant:

Everybody see it that way...Except the ones who should! :eek3:

tph
01-01-2005, 05:24 AM
I have an '83 S&S. The very first page of the owner's manual suggests that a coat of bottom paint be applied if you intend to keep the boat in water for extended periods of time. Do the more current manuals have this?

André
01-01-2005, 01:24 PM
A couples of peoples were asking pix of my repaint hull.Here's a good thread for it since my boat was repaint due to blistering too but BEFORE i bought it.It was repaint with DuPONT IMRON paint by a professionnal fiberglass and gel coat guy after a deep sanding of the gel,it was left to dry in a heated garage for some times.You can see that it's less glossy and have a texture less smooth than gel but nothing to do with orange peel.3 years after,it's still looks real good with no signs of blisters.I do keep the boat on a lift and use it almost everyday of the season.
Top is gel.
Bottom is paint.
Brownish line...Looks like somebody didn't wash his boat before winterizing! :eek: :eek: :eek:

André
01-01-2005, 01:30 PM
second pix

MarkP
01-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Andre

That looks good. Can not tell at all from the pics.

I thought that brown was an accent color:purplaugh

lakes Rick
01-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Andre

That looks good. Can not tell at all from the pics.

I thought that brown was an accent color:purplaugh

Skid mark on the White ??????

jimmer2880
01-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Although mine is kept on a lift & wiped down after every outting, some tan areas have started to appear.

Andre- I didn't notice any brown in your pic's :friday:

sharp looking boat. It shines enough for my liking & wouldn't turn down one that looked as good as yours does.

André
01-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Although mine is kept on a lift & wiped down after every outting, some tan areas have started to appear.

Andre- I didn't notice any brown in your pic's :friday:

sharp looking boat. It shines enough for my liking & wouldn't turn down one that looked as good as yours does.

Thanks Jimmer! Just the waterline dirt that i didn't wipe off... :noface:

Danny R
01-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Mastercraft approached me about how displeased I was with the warranty settlement about my 2001/195 PS. Even though the gel coat of my boat was 2 month out of warranty they have forwarded authorization to my dealer for the repair of my hull to be done with a new gel coat.
I have to say that I am very pleased with this decision as you know how boys love there toys and I definetly love it when I'm playing with my Mastercraft. :love:
I'd especialy like to thank J. Haines and T. Best (they seemed to feel my pain) and anyone else at Mastercraft that were involved in this decision.
Thanks Yours Truly Danny R :banana:

André
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Talk about a happy ending! :dance:
I'm relief that MasterCraft is more then stepping up to the plate on this one.Even if the boat was a demo bought with 250 hours on it and the gel warranty over by 2 months,they will stand by their words of being the best!
IT's not only your faith that is back Danny,it's all of us that are proud of Mastercraft.Lots of peoples here were kind of shock looking at those blisters pictures thinking that it could happen to them.Those same peoples will be happy to read you gonna get a re gel and new skins.
That boat is gonna look like new!
Again,really happy that it turn good for you...I wonder what happen recently that make them change their mind? :popcorn:

The power of this board? :confused:

André
01-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Get a lift! :woohoo:

MarkP
01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey DR,

No shots of that 195 in your gallery??:rolleyes: :purplaugh