PDA

View Full Version : How to wire for surge breaks

rstitson
12-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a 1997 GMC which is setup for 4 trailer wire connection. I am looking for any hints/instructions on how to wire it for 5 wire (surge brake capability). Were will I need to splice in? What type of connectors should I use? New boat being built in January.

Kyle's_prostar205
12-05-2006, 07:50 PM
You only need to tie the fifth wire into one of the back-up lights on your tow vehicle. The only power that surge brakes need is if your hydralic actuator has an electronic back up sylenoid. Other than that surge brakes do not require any wiring.

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Would this work? I'm not sure if the male/female leads are correct.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/198430050msk.htm?bct=%3Bcitrailer-wiring

Check out product Part # 47515 @ http://www.trailerwiring.com/

Chief
12-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm sure there is already one made that you just plug into your existing wiring harness and mount. Check at Pepboys or Marine West.

trickskier
12-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Look in your owners manual. There should be a section about wiring for trailers. I had a 97 Tahoe and it came from the factory with two different harnesses attached to the left rear frame rail. One is for 4 wire the other is for 7 wire. Get a 7 way round receptacle & pigtail and use the manual to hook it up. The manual will tell you which colors in the harness are for turn signals, brake lights, backup lights, etc.......

rstitson
12-06-2006, 07:33 PM
thanks for the responses. I'm kinda excited about the boat, will be nice to work on something in preparation. This site has been very helpful in getting to know the challenges and pleasures of general maintenance.

Ric
12-06-2006, 07:47 PM
thanks for the responses. I'm kinda excited about the boat, will be nice to work on something in preparation. This site has been very helpful in getting to know the challenges and pleasures of general maintenance. The 07 boat will have that big round plug, so when you are looking for adapters for the 97 truck, you need to get one of those adapters that break into the line up under the back bumper in the factory harness and then a connector which goes from that inline adapter to the new round plug on the trailer. Make sense?

Jerseydave
12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I have a 1997 GMC which is setup for 4 trailer wire connection. I am looking for any hints/instructions on how to wire it for 5 wire (surge brake capability). Were will I need to splice in? What type of connectors should I use? New boat being built in January.

Try your local NAPA auto parts store or similar store. There is a company called "Hoppy" that makes wire harness "t" fittings that should work with your truck. You can also try "Draw-tite" company. They should offer something as well.
BTW, where are you in the northeast? I'm in NJ.

Ric
12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
The 07 boat will have that big round plug, so when you are looking for adapters for the 97 truck, you need to get one of those adapters that break into the line up under the back bumper in the factory harness and then a connector which goes from that inline adapter to the new round plug on the trailer. Make sense? one more thing... when I say there is an adapter to break into the line under the bumper, there is actually a plug inline under the bumper from the OEM. you simply buy the adapter, unplug the harness up behind the bumper and then plug the adapter into each end and voilla, you have electrical trailer receptacle. done deal ....

well except then you need another cord to run from the adapter to the trailer plug:o then its a done deal

still plenty there to keep you busy during the wait...... which is long and hard.... like third grade on a professional athlete.

TMCNo1
12-07-2006, 01:33 PM
still plenty there to keep you busy during the wait...... which is long and hard.... like third grade on a professional athlete.

That's a good one Ric. Never heard that before, other than the 3rd grade was the best 3 years of my life!

Ric
12-07-2006, 01:37 PM
the wait drove me crazy... we repainted the garage, arranged all the ski stuff just so... rearranged... bought some led's.... lined out all the sound system.... cleaned the garage up again.... STILL went nuts as mine took about 3 or 4 months to get to me! :eek:

dog paw
12-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Don't know if it would be any help but I dug up some info on the harness This is for a 98. (thats as far back as our ESI goes for trucks)

HTML docs are not welcome so I'll just paste the pertanent text ;)

The option UY7 trailer harness is for heavy-duty towing applications. A 30-amp
fused battery feed wire and auxiliary circuit routes from the cowl-mounted
junction block, along the body side rail, to the rear bumper crossmember. The
harness for the brake/parking lamps is spliced from the rear lamp harness. The
harness is at the rear bumper crossmember. A plastic strap binds the harness.
Tape wrapped around the harness prevents short circuits.
The 8 wires have the following functions:
Orange -- The 30-amp fused battery feed

Blue -- An auxiliary circuit for electric trailer brakes

Brown -- The taillamps and the license lamps

Light green -- The backup lamps

Dark green -- The right turn signal and the stoplamp

Yellow -- The left turn signal and the stoplamp

White (heavy gage) -- Ground

White (light gage) -- The center high-mounted stop lamp

The UY7 option does not include a connector at the end of the harness. A
qualified technician must wire the connector following production.
Attach the trailer harness wiring to the trailer
Strap the harness wiring to the vehicle in a manner that allows slack in order
to prevent the following conditions:
- Bending

- Binding

- Breaking

- The harness drags on the ground.

Secure with tape or straps the trailer portion of the harness to the trailer
tongue in order to prevent the harness from dragging on the ground.
Secure the harness when the harness is not in use.
Wrap the harness together.
Bind the harness with a tie strap in order to avoid damage.
Store the harness behind the rear bumper on the fuel tank.
Strap the harness with a band or a tie strap.
The second wiring harness option is the UY1 camper wiring harness. The UY1
harness is under the vehicle. The harness is inside the frame rail. The harness
is even with the front of the pickup box on the driver's side.
The UY1 harness is for the brake/parking lamps. The harness has an auxiliary
power feed.
The wires have the following functions:
Dark blue -- A 30-amp fused auxiliary power circuit. The other end of
the wire is taped to the wiring near the junction block on the cowl.

Dark green -- The right turn signal and the stoplamp

Light green -- The backup lamps

Yellow -- The left turn signal and the stoplamp

Brown -- The taillamps

White -- Ground

rstitson
12-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm from portland,maine. I have a 4 wire connector from the previous boat using the inline t connector provided. Nice to know it's a round I will be going to. I think the real trick is the splice from the brake lights to get the 5th wire. I saw a post here earlier where someone couldn't backup his trailer because the brakes locked.... assume that was because he didn't have the fifth wire connected properly. Really like the break down on the color coded wires.... Thanks again... P.S Waiting on an x-15