PDA

View Full Version : Nibral vs Stainless Steel Props???

jenglin
12-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Could someone explain the difference "pros and cons" of the Nibral and Stainless Steel props? Is Nibral better? and why? I need a new prop and found a brand new stainless steel prop very reasonable. The Nibral props are pretty $$$. Is performance/top end speed better with one vs. the other. Any and all feed back is welcome. Thanks

corey
12-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Nibral is a softer material, therefore if you hit something it will act as a failure point protecting your drive shaft and transmission. Nibral is easily rebuilt even with a fair amount of damage.

Stainless is a more rigid material, it will offer better performance and less flex under load than Nibral. Because of its strength, a hit to the prop can reverbarate (sp) up the drive shaft and to the tranny.

If you know your lake VERY well you will have no problem with stainless, if you trailer or are new to boating I would stick with the nibral. The performance benefit of stainless is marginal at best, the saftey of nibral is worth it. At least for me.

east tx skier
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Quick question. With the CNC'd nibral props, is there still a performance advantage to using SS? Haven't ever run on a tournament boat.

corey
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Our TT boats run the CNC'd props as do our club boats and the boat that the Ski Otters Show Team use. None of these guys have found a compelling reason to run the stainless.

BrianM
12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Quick question. With the CNC'd nibral props, is there still a performance advantage to using SS? Haven't ever run on a tournament boat.

I think for our uses (watersports boats) with the new CNCd technology there is no longer any advantage in running a stainless prop.

vogelm1
12-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I think for our uses (watersports boats) with the new CNCd technology there is no longer any advantage in running a stainless prop.

That's right on...CNC'd nibral props have tolerances much more tighter than stainless so they run truer, quieter and more efficiently. I haven't tried a SS prop on my boat, but friends have, and while they say they do run fine it's their opinion they vibrate a bit more and definitely are not as forgiving as nibral.