trickskier
12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Appears to be a nice fit

trickskier
12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Until you see the back

6ballsisall
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Thats awesome!!!!!!!!!! I was waiting to see the outside of a trailer with the backside of the tv.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
:uglyhamme your such and eliteist Jr:uglyhamme Thats awesome!!!!!!!!!! I was waiting to see the outside of a trailer with the backside of the tv.

6ballsisall
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
:uglyhamme your such and eliteist Jr:uglyhamme

And I have a Bayliner for sale too!!!!!!!!!! :D

redmike
12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Hell, I have been trying to figure out ow to get more space in my living room, thanks for the idea!

TMCNo1
12-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Until you see the back

Good ole Southern Engineerinuity!
If I's him, I'd encase the back with glass and make a fishtank out of it!

trickskier
12-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Good ole Southern Engineerinuaty!
If I's him, I'd encase the back with glass and make a fishtank out of it!

Not a bad idea!

dapicatti
12-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Had a neighbor who did the same thing with a refrigerator;backside was out the wall on the porch. I couldn't believe they thought it looked good.

Jesus_Freak
12-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Had a neighbor who did the same thing with a refrigerator;backside was out the wall on the porch. I couldn't believe they thought it looked good.

Any chance for some pics of such brilliance?

Ryan
12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
My father in law did that a few years ago. At the time Plasmas were $9k for a 42". He paid a lot of $ to have a carpenter come in and frame and drywall the cubby hole into the attic, with access doors to reach the back of the TV.

flyingskibiker
12-05-2006, 04:37 PM
hopefully, that's not the door to the bathroom! X-P if so, i hope is opens enough to get in! ;-)

Sodar
12-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Until you see the back

Build a nice cabinent around it and it would look just fine.

Ryan
12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
It sure would be easy to fill the hole and make a run to Costco to pick up a 50" LCD/Plasma. But, for argument sake how about add an angled wall with a vent/access door/screen thing and then add a coat or component closet. Provided you buy/own components with remote IR sensor pulgs so that the IR sensor could be mounted at the front of the TV. Oh, and re-wire a new location for the light switch.

And if you were wondering...I'm not traveling this week. :D

east tx skier
12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Build a nice cabinent around it and it would look just fine.

That's what I did to keep the munchkin away from the wires on ours.

Sodar
12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Not a big screen, but my TV/ Auxilary monitor is mounted on a bracket and then I ran the wires into the wall and out below the desk. This is an old pic, so now the cables are gone. With a drill and a flex-rod, it was much easier than I thought... another way to keep the little one away from wires.

TX.X-30 fan
12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Until you see the back

Thats not a cheap looking oriental rug with all that demo on top of it. Wonder what the wifey said.:( :( :(

JimN
12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
You know, if you got that bulletin board out of there, it would be a lot more comfortable to watch. If you're concerned with little fingers, you could make a plexi cover for it.

Sodar
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Rarely use it as a monitor... I normally just use it for a TV, which make it the perfect height for watching it from bed.

milkmania
12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Not a big screen, but my TV/ Auxilary monitor is mounted on a bracket and then I ran the wires into the wall and out below the desk. This is an old pic, so now the cables are gone. With a drill and a flex-rod, it was much easier than I thought... another way to keep the little one away from wires.

now that the thread's been jacked.......

how is the computer image on your LCD screen above?

mine's less than desirable and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong:(

can't figure it out.... LCD screen laptop looks great... hook it up to LCD television looks like crap!

Sodar
12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
now that the thread's been jacked.......

how is the computer image on your LCD screen above?

mine's less than desirable and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong:(

can't figure it out.... LCD screen laptop looks great... hook it up to LCD television looks like crap!

It looks incredible... I went bought and took back 3 different TV's and finally found this Samsung. The HDMI/DVI pictures looks absolutely breathtaking with my Dad's new MacBook Pro, my iBook only has a standard monitor cable, but it still looks great. The Samsung was a little under $800 and it out performs the $1,000+ LCD TV's of the same size. It has a contrast management system that allows it to go to true black. I actually ditched my DVD player and now just play DVD's through my computer on the LCD screen...

JimN
12-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Sodar- I have installed a lot of the Samsung displays and they really do look hot. Go to Best Buy and look at their HD DVD display. It looks amazing from 3' away.

Milk- check your display preferences on your computer. You may need to increase the resolution. Otherwise, maybe you can get a VGA/XGA to DVI/HDMI/Component adaptor. You can get them in whatever configuration you want, it's just a matter of finding them (google). You might try calling it a media adaptor. Also, remember that you're going from a 15" display to a 42" with the same resolution unless you change it. The same quality drop will occur when you enlarge a photo too much.

dapicatti
12-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Any chance for some pics of such brilliance?
Unfortunately the neighbor moved, new people are now in the home, fridge is still half in and half out of the house....new owner is an architect. It should be a matter of months before its gone.

milkmania
12-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Milk- check your display preferences on your computer. You may need to increase the resolution. Otherwise, maybe you can get a VGA/XGA to DVI/HDMI/Component adaptor. You can get them in whatever configuration you want, it's just a matter of finding them (google). You might try calling it a media adaptor. Also, remember that you're going from a 15" display to a 42" with the same resolution unless you change it. The same quality drop will occur when you enlarge a photo too much.

noted
thanks Jim

except for the fact my LCD TV is only 20":o

88 PS190
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Relative has that, but done with class, his backs into a hallway off his storage area in his basement, allows full access to the back of the TV for running wires, provides a clean living area, with a fully recessed TV.

But I can't imagine it running into another lived in space.

As far as dapicatti's neighbor with the fridge, kind of makes sense, fridges heat the area around the outside, so if you ever want to AC a house, moving it half outdoors must help.

east tx skier
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM

We have a flat panel in the living room mounted on the wall and we ran the wires down the wall as well. For the rear projection pictured above, it was as much about having it look nicer, too. Plus, there are a LOT of wires back there. I can't say enough about lifting it up 4" off the floor. Gives it an even bigger feel.

milkmania
12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
when I plug the LCD TV into the laptop via S-Video....

It still looks like crap, but something I noticed is that when I go into display properties and "Identify" it shows a #1 on both the laptop AND the LCD TV.

is this typical?

JimN
12-10-2006, 03:03 AM
I'm still waiting to see a good picture from S-video. try connecting it through composite and see if it improves.

milkmania
12-10-2006, 03:06 AM
I'm still waiting to see a good picture from S-video. try connecting it through composite and see if it improves.

composite?

you mean like RCA cable?

this laptop doesn't have one:(

JimN
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Into the display, usually but from the computer, whatever it has for video output will need an adapter unless the display has a VGA monitor output. How old is it? There should be a video display icon near the video output and I can't see why they would only have S-video, other than it's a small jack- there's no way it'll give you computer monitor video quality with a good source. It should look the same as the monitor, just bigger and it's not like you're going to a 60" screen

milkmania
12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
the age ofthe laptop is 2 months
the age of the LCD TV is Oct. 2005 manufactured date.

there is a VGA display port on the left side of the laptop, hooking it up to my LCD monitor along with laptop's LCD screen.... works great.
but there's no way to interface that VGA plug in to the LCD TV.

S-Video is on the right side of laptop

gonna head to radio shack to see what they got:headbang:

JimN
12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Before you go, check the resolution of the LCD TV. It may not be at the same level as a computer monitor. 800x600 is about the minimum for a monitor but HD is higher.

Maybe a higher-end home theater dealer can help. Just don't buy the Monster cable most of them want you to, it's not gonna make as much difference as they say it will. Gold is really not much better than nickel plating.

milkmania
12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
[quote=JimN]Before you go, check the resolution of the LCD TV. It may not be at the same level as a computer monitor. 800x600 is about the minimum for a monitor but HD is higher. looks like I found my problem..... 640x480 resolution:(

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2606915

Maybe a higher-end home theater dealer can help. Just don't buy the Monster cable most of them want you to, it's not gonna make as much difference as they say it will. Gold is really not much better than nickel plating.noted

trickskier
12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Maybe a higher-end home theater dealer can help. Just don't buy the Monster cable most of them want you to, it's not gonna make as much difference as they say it will. Gold is really not much better than nickel plating.noted

But the million dollar answer is..........How are you going to mount it??? :uglyhamme

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I can't believe I missed this 5 years ago.:D

CantRepeat
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I can't believe I missed this 5 years ago.:D

My question is, what were you looking for that got you to a 5 year old thread about dumb people? lol

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
My question is, what were you looking for that got you to a 5 year old thread about dumb people? lol

I was starting from oldest off topic and working my way forward, I am at page 250.

ahhudgins
06-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Until you see the back

The thing I like best about the work is the AC outlet hanging from the 110V line. Looks like something my father in-law would be proud of. I guess he wasn't worried if it was a load bearing wall either!

Ski-me
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I was starting from oldest off topic and working my way forward, I am at page 250.

That is some serious dedication....and very strategic!:cool:

east tx skier
06-21-2011, 05:32 PM

In 2006, if you wanted to flush mount a 55" TV, you didn't exactly have a lot of options. I had mine recessed into a built in until the quality of larger LED's versus the price worked itself out for me to upgrade.

That 1999 Mitsubishi rear projection 1080i TV I owned is still going (in a relative's home) and has better quality than the smaller flat screens I bought in 2005 for sure.

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
In 2006, if you wanted to flush mount a 55" TV, you didn't exactly have a lot of options. I had mine recessed into a built in until the quality of larger LED's versus the price worked itself out for me to upgrade.

That 1999 Mitsubishi rear projection 1080i TV I owned is still going (in a relative's home) and has better quality than the smaller flat screens I bought in 2005 for sure.

You could always do it like this 50"

east tx skier
06-21-2011, 06:09 PM
My old setup is pictured above. My new one is better, but I was pretty pleased with the old one at the time.