PDA

View Full Version : Question for you home brewers

suedv
12-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I have celiac disease which means I get sick if I eat or drink something with gluten in it. Gluten is in wheat, rye, and barley (some people also say oats, but my doctor lets me have them).

Beer has malt,which is made from barley, so I don't drink beer. Do any of you make any kind of beer that doesn't have malt? If so is it any good?

Just wondering.

east tx skier
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm no expert homebrewer, but I think it all has barley or wheat in it. But I'll look to be sure.

But isn't Budweiser made of malted rice? I know you said "beer," but I didn't want to be to hypertechnical. :)

JimN
12-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Lakefront Brewery makes a gluten-free beer and I have heard that people who have drunk it but don't have a problem with gluten, like it whether they know or not. IIRC, Anheuser-Busch is making their own, too. You might want to google for gluten-free beer recipes.

Farmer Ted
12-05-2006, 12:02 AM
There are a few Amercian beers listed here, or you could use it as an excuse to travel to Europe....

http://www.glutenfreebeerfestival.com/available/available.html

http://www.clanthompson.com/res_contacts_shop.php3

JimN
12-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Lakefront's New Grist is the one I was referring to. If you make it to Milwaukee, they have a nice tour at their brewery. Also, a pretty nice little restaurant on site. While you're at it, you might want to come here in summer for Summerfest (www.summerfest.com).

edwinfuqua
12-05-2006, 04:34 AM
I have celiac disease which means I get sick if I eat or drink something with gluten in it. Gluten is in wheat, rye, and barley (some people also say oats, but my doctor lets me have them).

Beer has malt,which is made from barley, so I don't drink beer. Do any of you make any kind of beer that doesn't have malt? If so is it any good?

Just wondering.
Some Japanese beer is made using rice. Have you considered drinking whiskey, or whisky? It isn't a malt beverage. Good olé 'mountain dew' shouldn't have a lick of Gluten in it. Just make sure you're not getting sweet liquor that is the first run from a still, get the pure alcohol or PA sometimes it has been called PG meaning Pure Gin, which is not nearly as good as good olé stump water; easily found wherever your friendly bootlegger is located. REMEMBER you don't want the SWEET you want the good stuff; the final run, 'Ump, Aaaahh, White Lightning'.

That should solve your drinking and intestinal problems in one whack.

slink976
12-05-2006, 03:54 PM
haha!!!! Try the nector of gods! it is made from honey mainly. takes a very long time to create about a year. but it is brewed much like beer has a slightly higher alc. content.

CoFooter
12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Mexican Cerveza (Corona, tecate, etc) uses rice as a base instead of malt I believe. I made some one time and thats what was in the recipe. Ask you local homebrewer. Or make some wine.

OhioProstar
12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I know someone with a similar allegy...he drinks Sake. No problems.

flyingskibiker
12-05-2006, 04:34 PM
yah, mead. i made a batch. it's ok. but definately not beer...

haha!!!! Try the nector of gods! it is made from honey mainly. takes a very long time to create about a year. but it is brewed much like beer has a slightly higher alc. content.

M-Funf
12-05-2006, 04:37 PM

You mean Mead? I've got a kit for 5 gallons waiting to be brewed. It uses honey (which I think is gluten free:confused: ).

We also just made 5 gallons of Hard Cider. Used fresh squeezed apple juice, some simple syrup made from about 6 cups sugar...white and brown mixed with apple juice. Dumped it all into a 5 gallon carboy and added champagne yeast. It fermented for about 2 weeks, we racked it to a second 5 gallon carboy for another 2 weeks. Then bottled it. It is STRONG :eek: we didn't measure OG or FG, but my taste buds say it's about the alky content of wine...

If somebody wants the recipe, just let me know...

CoFooter
12-05-2006, 05:12 PM
M-Funf,

When you get a minute, I would like to take a look at that recipe.

cbryan70
12-05-2006, 05:29 PM
i wanna sample some of these home brews....can ya send them in the mail?

M-Funf
12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
It actually isn't much more informative than what I've already posted...

5 Gallons unfiltered apple juice
3 Cups White Sugar
3 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Package Champagne yeast.

Mix 1 gallon juice in a pot with all the sugar. Boil. Cool down.

Put remaining 4 gallons juice in carboy. Add above 1 gallon of juice/sugar mixture.

At this point, I check the OG of the juice for later Alc. level measurement.

Add yeast to carboy. Swirl carboy to mix.

Put a fermentation lock on carboy.

Once the fermentation settles down (~2 weeks), rack the juice into second carboy. Place the fermentation lock on the carboy. Wait until fermentation is complete (~2 more weeks). The lock should bubble once every 30 seconds to 1 minute.

At this point, I'd measure FG and calculate % Alc...just so I know how much I can drink in one sitting :cool:

Bottle. I did not do any priming with sugar, as I thought it was still going along at a good pace, which should keep the pressure up in the bottle. If you DO want to prime, don't overdo it...

I haven't opened any bottles yet. It's only been in the bottle since Thanksgiving, and I want to give it some time to settle down...

Cheers!

disclaimer: I haven't written any of the obvious steps (cleaning, steilizing, boiling bottlecaps, etc.) into my instructions, as I see them as "generally obvious".

east tx skier
12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Sue, I don't have a recipe in front of me, but you said you could have oats. What about an oatmeal stout.

/off to see how much barely is in this misnomer.

//edit. I'm back. Just some oats. 'bout a pound of malted barley.

suedv
12-05-2006, 09:10 PM
I was looking at Lakefront Brewery's website. I have to drive around a lot for work and I see they sell it in some of the cities in Michigan that I have to go to every so often. I'll see if I can find some of that New Grist Beer. I think I will also try to find some mead somewhere too.

It sounds like a lot of fuss to make beer. I want to figure out what I like before I go to the work of trying to make something.

By the way, I hope if I make beer I have a better experience than I did canning tomatoes. Rick's mom tried to get me interested in canning food when we first got married because she wanted Rick to have good food (her recipes). I tried to be a good daughter-in-law and spent a very hot day in the kitchen with his mom canning tomatoes that didn't end up sealing right and got moldy. I dumped them all and never canned again. It's 25 years later and the only home canned food he gets are the things he gets from his mom or his sisters. Oh well, as I see it he's never gone hungry and he doesn't have the urge to can food either. :D

Back to the beer thought, does the specialty beer taste just as good as what I could make at home?

JKTX21
12-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Have you considered drinking whiskey, or whisky? It isn't a malt beverage. Good olé 'mountain dew' shouldn't have a lick of Gluten in it.

Actually bourbon whiskey is made with corn, wheat, rye and/or malted barley. Scotch whiskey is made completely with wheat, rye and or malted barley. (I watched a whole hour long program on the history channel about whiskey... awesome.) Have you tried "Samuel Jackson" beer? IT'LL GET YOU DRUUUUNK! Ah-haha!

JimN
12-05-2006, 10:06 PM
"Back to the beer thought, does the specialty beer taste just as good as what I could make at home?"

That will depend on what you like but I'm pretty much to the point where I can't stand regular, run of the mill big brewery stuff. Miller Light gives me a headache on the first beer and I don't even have to be told what I'm drinking to know, and I don't like the taste, either. I like what Lakefront makes and I mostly drink their Stein or East Side Dark. In fall, they make a good Pumpkin beer. It's not for everyone but oh, well. Russ and his brother have been making beer since they were just out of high school (the WI drinking age was 18 then) and even then, they hated the domestic stuff.

I'd say, give it a shot and if you have recommendations or requests as far as the flavor, you could call or e-mail them. They aren't that big that they would ignore you. If they do, let me know.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Sue, did you find your answer?