PDA

View Full Version : Backscatter technology and TSA

bigmac
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Personally, I think it's a cool application of this technology, although it seems that many, Americans anyway, don't care for the concept:

TX.X-30 fan
12-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Those must be the same americans that have a problem with listening to incoming overseas phone conversations from known terrorists or the americans that demand we never profile airline passengers. :confused:

beef
12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I've heard that they are implementing this in a limited fashion. Several airports will be installing it, and they can only be used if a passenger fails the initial screening and then volunteers for it! How many knife wielding terrrorist are going to agree to get scanned?? pc crap.

Ric
12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I knew there was a reason I was getting all those "size" emails :rolleyes: someone has been looking!

bigmac
12-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Indeed, the TSA would like to request that we all start working out.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
I knew there was a reason I was getting all those "size" emails :rolleyes: someone has been looking!
No wonder!:o :o so thats how they found out about our.....well, you know. Guys, you get those emails too, right guys? right?

M-Funf
12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I, for one, really like the idea. I could see how people might be concerned about using X-Ray technology for this purpose, but I don't think this technology penetrates tissue, so it is said to be harmless to a human. Of course, since it doesn't penetrate tissue, weapons and drugs could be hidden to avoid detection...:o

I remember a movie a while back (may have been Terminator, but I'm not sure) where the subject walked along a corridor behind a sheet of glass. The X-Ray image was displayed on the glass, and security could see everything he was carrying, his skeleton, but no flesh. I thought it was pretty cool.

I guess to preserve your privacy, you'll have to line you underwear with tin foil :rolleyes:

HEY, new product idea right there! Foil lined shorts!

6ballsisall
12-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I think I read that Sky Harbor in Pheonix was installing body Xray machines. Is that the technology they are using?

M-Funf
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I think I read that Sky Harbor in Pheonix was installing body Xray machines. Is that the technology they are using?

Yup. I read that on the TSA site. Should be up and running now...

Chief
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
What was that blurry area? I'm sure that's a weapon too! :)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-04-2006, 08:09 PM
What was that blurry area? I'm sure that's a weapon too! :)
you mean by her eye?

Chief
12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
you mean by her eye?

No on the dude. The first pic Mac posted, that's a weapon for sure!

trickskier
12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah it's a pea shooter.....:D

PendO
12-04-2006, 10:15 PM

The pic is a female IMO

bigmac
12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
The pic is a female IMONo, it was a male - but the the guy had "Malibu" tattoo'd on his "undercarriage" so I was pretty certain it would be pulled without warning, which is what they do here, these days.

Jesus_Freak
12-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Those must be the same americans that have a problem with listening to incoming overseas phone conversations from known terrorists or the americans that demand we never profile airline passengers. :confused:

I am for WHATEVER improves the probability of safe travel for my family. A) I have nothing to hide, and B) I dont have anything that hasnt been seen before :D

edwinfuqua
12-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Yeah it's a pea shooter.....:D
If it was a blur how can you be sure? I agree on the pee shooter. The girl pic wasn't blurred, I didn't see her pee shooter. Is there something wrong with the picture? Oh BTW, the plex knife is just barely visible. If they get you in the reflector they will probably spin you around too. But the knife, which are cool (like a vegetable knife that is serrated and real thin not 10mm would probably not show up in this copy) and readably available used to go un-noticed. Backscatter is something we Amateur Radio licenses have used for many years. I'm sure the RF (radio frequency) is somewhat harmful but as they say, "limited exposure" is not dangerous, no more than the radiation you would get from a cross country flight and surely not more than talking on the cellular phone for an hour would be endured in the scan process. The higher the frequency the more dangerous to be exposed to it. I hope none of you stare at your microwave while you are heating your favorite 'nuked' delight. Additionally and just for clarification, Backscatter is the result of radiation being reflected, if it did not go through you it got reflected. We are exposed to RF everyday and radiation passes through you constantly all the time without your knowledge. Why did your parents tell you, 'don't sit so close to the TV'? 60Hz radiation is everywhere. 50Hz radiation is stronger in some European areas but the same 60Hz generated by our power companies carries across the world. Some good reading would be to look up Tesla, Marconi, and Ben Franklin to say a few. You might be interested on what was happening more than 100 year ago reading the things that Tesla and Marconi did and what effect that powerful and invisible technology has become to better understand the Backscatter Technology; how it was discovered and now how it it is used in high-tech applications is part of the mystery and fascination of experimenters, especially Amateur Radio licensees. Broadcast FM transmission, that we all are aware of was developed and made passable by a Ham (licensed amateur radio operator). Backscatter, FM, and many more scientific RF related inventions are the result of this 'high-tech' "see through walls" technology like the scanning called Backscatter.

My son, be not afraid for fear is the release of stress you knew nothing about and is a way for cleansing the body.

Now that last statement was some crap, but possibly true unless even if you did have reason to be afraid.