PDA

View Full Version : boaters world vs west marine

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
where do you shop and which do you like better?

TMCNo1
12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
The seem to have a larger inventory of stuff.

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 02:57 PM
West marine vs boaters world, i worked for boaters world and west marine seems to have a larger inventory in the store, but the boaters world catolog is massive so its alot of special orders and on most products are a few bucks cheaper, also what i have noticed between the two is west marine seems to have younger kids who dont know quite as much. Could be different in your area tho, i was hired purely on the aspect that i own a boat and knew some, but was willing to learn EVERYTHING, i must say working at a place like that you learn alot of useless info, it is also nice to save some money on the toys i cant afford, getting a new connelly ski this christmas for 60 below retail

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
ahh i forgot, west marines have alot better of an appearance our boaters world is a dump, needed alot of new things and when we tried to go to corp they just said that is the appeal of the store it is discount marine and we sell products cheaper, and somhow that is suppse to be why their upkeep isnt as good. Kinda seemed weird to me tho considering most people that own a boat make alot of money anyways, cheap is good but have the store look nice and not like a warehouse

rodltg2
12-04-2006, 03:00 PM
west marine because its close to work

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 03:03 PM
yeah there are alot more west marines so alot more convienent

Sodar
12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
West marine vs boaters world, i worked for boaters world and west marine seems to have a larger inventory in the store, but the boaters world catolog is massive so its alot of special orders and on most products are a few bucks cheaper, also what i have noticed between the two is west marine seems to have younger kids who dont know quite as much. Could be different in your area tho, i was hired purely on the aspect that i own a boat and knew some, but was willing to learn EVERYTHING, i must say working at a place like that you learn alot of useless info, it is also nice to save some money on the toys i cant afford, getting a new connelly ski this christmas for 60 below retail

We have a West Marine and Boater's World across the street from each other and I truly hate both, but use West Marine. Both store's sales associates are useless. Around here, all the West Marine associates are sailors and know nothing more than "stickboats." While the Boater's World crew is full of retirees looking for supplemental income. To top all of it off, Boater's World is owned by Ritz Camera, which is just weird to me. I use West Marine, because I have a Port Supply card and get all my items for wholesale cost. I purchase few things from either store for my MC, they just do not have the stuff I need. The stores here cater to big boats, so when it comes to buying stuff for my parent's boats (31' Twin-Outboard Center Console and 72' SportFisher) we go to West Marine.

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah our store was opposite we were a power boat store and people would get pissed we didnt have any sailing stuff, and we only had one guy who was retired but owns a boat and lives on the chain so he at least new what he was talking about. By the way boaters world does wholesale aswell. And ritz opened up the franchise becuase he was pissed at how expensive other boating stores were, or somthing like that who knows.

duckguy
12-04-2006, 03:21 PM
They both are rip off artists. I cant think of what I would ever need to get there.

roddydog
12-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Don't have a boaters world here, so it's west marine or some of the local guys. Being a large city right on the water there are a few to choose from.

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 03:33 PM
yes they are both rip off artist, little advice with boaters world if you have one and have a child who loves water sports, they have a warrenty program on all water sports equipment, which basically allows you to bring them back every year even if there is a scratch on a ski or wakeboard. Also........hate to say it but you can pop all the tubes you want and get free replacment.

Ric
12-04-2006, 03:33 PM
neither, I found may way to one of them once to buy the glorious 303... cannot remember which it was?

flyingskibiker
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
both are w/in a couple miles of each other and my house. i usually go to the one that has what i need in stock and/or is cheaper. but i try to stick to mail order if i can still beat their price (have to add shipping).

pq2
12-04-2006, 05:56 PM
west marine, they have more equipment for my j/24, their rewards system works well and they have more stuff. I buy all my ski equipment to a friend in miami, he is the coach at the greater miami ski club and he gets me good prices.

H20skeefreek
12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
.................................................. ......

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Dont take what i have said the wrong way i wasnt bad mouthing westmarine at all just in are area the west marine around isnt the greatest. ANd our employee discount does suck....but going directly through connelly or HO thats where the discounts are... You guys dont sell HO products? when i left we just started selling hyperlites/CWB/liquid force but just basic models i believe.

H20skeefreek
12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Oh, and please don't think that I'm upset. I'm not, I was just addressing some of the issues. There are a few select markets that sell the HO/Hyperlite stuff, but ONLY if no one else in the area wants to carry it. West does sell CWB and Liquid force, the whole line.

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I thought so...If you can get a number to your vendors for the products you can call them and say you are an associate at west marine and then thats where the big discounts come in. I beleive is 60 percent off on connelly and hyperlite stuff

Ric
12-04-2006, 07:21 PM
well you just blew it for me bryan, I had ump in the dark on where I was getting the bargains on HO stuff

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
haha...i couldnt have asked for a better summer job with me rebuilding my trailer and rewireing alot of my boat with new switches and things....saved ALOT of money and got lots of fun toys...tubes for the neighbors a wakeboard some ski rope....which sucks. You know someone in HO?

Ric
12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
not sayin another word

cbryan70
12-04-2006, 07:26 PM
haha dont blame ya...gotta love friends in the industry!

H20skeefreek
12-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I thought so...If you can get a number to your vendors for the products you can call them and say you are an associate at west marine and then thats where the big discounts come in. I beleive is 60 percent off on connelly and hyperlite stuff
Just a quick note, you do have to get a signature from your boss, proving that you do in fact work for a supplier, and there is a form to fill out. If everyone tries this, it'll ruin it for people that do legitimately get a "pro-deal".

LakeZoar32
12-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I always find what I need. Even though I have to drive 20 miles to get there.

LakeZoar32
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I always find what I need at West Marine.

WTRSK1R
12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I was very happy when a West Marine opened in our area. There are several other marine dealers, but none that carry the amount of stuff that I have seen at WM. Plus, its just plain fun to look. Kind of like a kid in a candy store.

shepherd
12-04-2006, 10:45 PM
MOST West Marine stores employ experienced boaters ONLY. And I hear at least 10 times/day that the people at BW don't know anything. This is the case in MOST markets.

That's the case in our market. The West guys here are much more knowledgable and helpful than the BW guys. I go into West and ask for some obscure part, the guy takes me right to the spot where it's hanging on the shelf. If I do the same at BW, a kid drags me around half the store, then leaves me to browse the aisles while he goes and asks the manager for help. :cool:

Plus, I'm amazed at the variety of stuff I can get for my boat at West. Sometimes BW is cheaper, but not always. But for the inboard skiboat-specific stuff, it's either skidim or Rambo or someone like that.

H20skeefreek
12-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Plus, I'm amazed at the variety of stuff I can get for my boat at West. Sometimes BW is cheaper, but not always. But for the inboard skiboat-specific stuff, it's either skidim or Rambo or someone like that.

jimmer2880
12-06-2006, 06:43 AM
I shop neither locally. West Marine because their catalogue is huge. But, I've never heard of BW before.

Also - I've never heard of anyone getting the wrong part from Skidim. I'm sure it has happened, but I personally don't know anyone who has. I did have to return a defective dead-man's switch. They paid for the shipping both ways.

Chief
12-06-2006, 07:37 AM
In my opinion Boaters World never has what you need, it's always "we can order it".

X-45
12-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I voted Boaters world for drive up convenience for boat wax and such but for anything mechanical or electrical skidim has the best advise and service. Very knowledgeable and been around a long time. :twocents:

H20skeefreek
12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I shop neither locally. West Marine because their catalogue is huge. But, I've never heard of BW before.

Also - I've never heard of anyone getting the wrong part from Skidim. I'm sure it has happened, but I personally don't know anyone who has. I did have to return a defective dead-man's switch. They paid for the shipping both ways.
Like I said in my original post about skidim, you RARELY ever get the wrong part unless you give the wrong information, or someone has changed something on you boat. I was just really pointing out the local retailer aspect. I always buy locally if I can.

Jcrosby,

That is certainly not the case at my local boaters world. They never offer to "order it" to my understanding thier ordering process is so cumbersome that it's rediculous.

jimmer2880
12-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Like I said in my original post about skidim, you RARELY ever get the wrong part unless you give the wrong information, or someone has changed something on you boat. I was just really pointing out the local retailer aspect. I always buy locally if I can.

Jcrosby,

That is certainly not the case at my local boaters world. They never offer to "order it" to my understanding thier ordering process is so cumbersome that it's rediculous.

sorry - I didn't mean to sound offended

H20skeefreek
12-06-2006, 07:12 PM
sorry, didn't mean to sound like i thought you sounded like you were offended, lol.