PDA

View Full Version : Website design-Project

6ballsisall
11-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I need some website design advice. I need a website designed that will be able to do the following in this order.

1. A web portal someone can go to and upload a photo and some text that corresponds with that photo.
2. While the individual uploads the photo the website will kick the photo back if it doesn't meet a certain quality size (which I will give)
3. Based on however many photos are uploaded, the site is then able to give the person entering the information a total of how much they'll owe me (US Dollars)
4. The next screen they'll see is a secure credit card screen where they'll input their credit card information for payment.
5. Once they enter their credit card information, their card will be charged the appropriate amount.
6. A digital invoice will be generated and email'd to customer and Cc'd to my email address.

I will need some sort of back end access to the site to download the photos and corresponding text.

I have never built a website before, I know some on here are pro's at it. For those that know, how difficult would this be to develop, how quick could it be done (it has to be VERY reliable.)

Thanks all for your info and advice!

east tx skier
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Threadjack. Why are we paying you for our pictures?

/got nuthin

6ballsisall
11-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Threadjack. Why are we paying you for our pictures?

/got nuthin

It's got nothing to do with the TMC board whatsoever. ;)

6ballsisall
11-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Bump.........

dmayer84
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
There would be a good amount of backend work on that site. You would have to purchase a certificate from one of the Certificate Authoritys for the CC part of it. The uploading of pictures would not be too difficult. Most of the work would go into making sure that everyting is very secure, including the server it is running on. You would also need a database and have a lot of php scripts running on the page.

Are you looking to do this on a server you have running, purchased space on another server?

You would also have to subscribe to a credit card processing company.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-30-2006, 11:12 PM
yea, I assure you8p (Fletch qoute)

east tx skier
11-30-2006, 11:13 PM

That was the royal "we" of course. :)

edwinfuqua
11-30-2006, 11:35 PM
You need to get acquainted with several programming languages and operating systems and you need to decide on what operating system you are going to build your website.

Is your OS LINUX or Microsoft or other? Some languages you need to be expert in are HTML and other hypertext or have a really good GUI interface program that creates 4th /+ ? generation code for you. MS Front-page is not enough. Adobe has some software that works (cost around $1K) that works well. You will need additional expertise in PHP or Pearl script languages to make it all work like you implied.

If you are just getting started and you can master the languages/OS's mentioned above, in respect to your learning curve this could take years to develope on your on. On the other hand it will cost you several thousands of $'s for someone else to do it for you. (4-10) Even if you contract the site out you will need some understanding of what you want included and the EXACT TEXT formated before someone else will take on the project.

I know people who can do this type of work for you in their leisure. I host my own website, I have a T1 connection to the INTERNET and have my own server, firewall and proxy server. That alone cost about $1K a month but you can have someone else host the site for you. You will have to weigh the costs for yourself. I've been around this stuff since 1980 and most of it is still a mystery to me.

Let me know how it goes. Edwin

6ballsisall
11-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys! To address afew of the things mentioned here.

I have the server space and it would be secure for sure.

I have no intentions of trying to learn how to develop this myself, I'd contract it out (anyone possibly want the job?)

Just merely looking for advice and if you had an idea what I might be looking at to develop this that would be really cool!

edwinfuqua
11-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Like I said I have resources.

dmayer84
11-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys! To address afew of the things mentioned here.

I have the server space and it would be secure for sure.

I have no intentions of trying to learn how to develop this myself, I'd contract it out (anyone possibly want the job?)

Just merely looking for advice and if you had an idea what I might be looking at to develop this that would be really cool!

You would really be looking at a lot of php if thats the choice for the scripting language, definately my preference, and the database to hold it. Most of the work is in doing the php or what ever language you do use.

I would try to use a linux server, my preference over windows. A lot more stable and its free :D

I had to do a class on all of this last year for my computer science seminar class. If you have any questions I know they can be answered. I would help you out with it but I am currently working 3 jobs as it is.

If anyone has a good job for someone fresh out of college with an MCSE other than workin helpdesk that would be awesome.

Leroy
12-01-2006, 12:03 AM
JR; There are sites that already do this for free, why would someone want to use this site?

I need some website design advice. I need a website designed that will be able to do the following in this order.

1. A web portal someone can go to and upload a photo and some text that corresponds with that photo.
2. While the individual uploads the photo the website will kick the photo back if it doesn't meet a certain quality size (which I will give)
3. Based on however many photos are uploaded, the site is then able to give the person entering the information a total of how much they'll owe me (US Dollars)
4. The next screen they'll see is a secure credit card screen where they'll input their credit card information for payment.
5. Once they enter their credit card information, their card will be charged the appropriate amount.
6. A digital invoice will be generated and email'd to customer and Cc'd to my email address.

I will need some sort of back end access to the site to download the photos and corresponding text.

I have never built a website before, I know some on here are pro's at it. For those that know, how difficult would this be to develop, how quick could it be done (it has to be VERY reliable.)

Thanks all for your info and advice!

6ballsisall
12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
JR; There are sites that already do this for free, why would someone want to use this site?

Work project.....our IT crew are slammed with some other projects. Me the consumate salesperson that I am has an opportunity, and I need a site that does what I listed above. I'd tell more but I signed a confidentiality agreement w/ the prospective client...

east tx skier
12-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd have a great web designer/maintainer for you, but she literally retired the week before last.

Leroy
12-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Would be good for the FSBO's.

6ballsisall
12-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Would be good for the FSBO's.

Might be. This won't be a consumer visited site. Its more of a business tool to help implement something.

Hoosier Bob
12-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Sorry Jeff but NO ONE CARES! I need help! Evidently my alligator theory has some holes!

6ballsisall
12-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Sorry Jeff but NO ONE CARES! I need help! Evidently my alligator theory has some holes!

Thanks HB..........I feel the love. :(

So why you beating up on your campaign manager anyway??? You dont want all those Sheep scandals to get out do you?????

Hoosier Bob
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I feel I am losing the Alligator platform! Alligators love sheep too! But we may lose the sheep vote. I feel we can recover enough from the alligators!

Monte
12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
J.. Not sure how much help you will need, bt a buddy of mine does product placement and web dev. check the link http://www.titaniumimageworks.com/index.html

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 10:34 AM
everything here makes this sound like it will be a P0rn site to me.......:confused:

6ballsisall
12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
everything here makes this sound like it will be a P0rn site to me.......:confused:

Uh no........................:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
web portal someone can go to and upload a photo and some text that corresponds with that photo.
kick the photo back if it doesn't meet a certain quality
total of how much they'll owe me
I will need some sort of back end access
Bump.........
it would be secure for sure
This won't be a consumer visited site
may lose the sheep vote

Yup, I went back and looked again.....Looks more and more like a p0rn site....8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Uh-oh! And to think I trusted JR to be my campaign Mgr. :eek: I cant believe it! NO wonder I lost the election to a boat-salesman, HIS boatsalesman. the scandal unfolds......:cool:

6ballsisall
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Not finding this amusing!!!!!!! :mad: