PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern discusses my name; Thijs

thijs
11-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Wow I was listening to Howard Stern today (while farting around on TMC) and he started discussing my name (not me). It is not a very common name at all and was discussing with his co-host how nuts the name is. He mentioned that the kid is going to go through **** explaining his name.

Well he is right, but I have always treated it as funny. I emailed the show to see if I can get through to tell him stories such as when I changed my name in grade one for a month without mom knowing about it. Also the differrent techniques teachers have used to try pronounce my name right on the first day roll calls.

We'll see if they get back to me.

Thijs (BTW- pronounced 'Tice')

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
And all this time, I thought you just misspelled THIS VOGELZANG ....:o

thijs
12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Not kidding!!!

Thijs is an old very traditional dutch name.

I find when someone is going to have a hard time pronouncing a first name they will try by calling people by Mr.(lastname here), but you can see that my lastname is not much help. I even had one teacher in middle school pause and say 'okay, you know who you are, just stand up tell me how to say your name and lets get this year started'.

The real kick is my middle name is Gordon!!

TMCNo1
12-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Not kidding!!!

Thijs is an old very traditional dutch name.
Do you wear those wooden shoes?:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Sodar
12-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Not kidding!!!

I even had one teacher in middle school pause and say 'okay, you know who you are, just stand up tell me how to say your name and lets get this year started'.

I remember those kids... that is funny stuff!!!

LakePirate
12-01-2006, 10:40 AM
OK I'll bite how do you pronounce it?

If you could give us a phonetic spelling that we can understand it would be appreciated. Something like UMP = you emmm peee

Sodar
12-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I believe it is pronounce TIE-CE

Leroy
12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I think I saw that Matt Lauer (NBC morning show) named his new baby that name.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
OK I'll bite how do you pronounce it?

If you could give us a phonetic spelling that we can understand it would be appreciated. Something like UMP = you emmm peee

Probably...
T-EYE-SUH.......Oh yeah, that's better....:rolleyes:

Leroy..
NBC what....?? Where's Katie....:rolleyes:

thijs
12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
It is pronunced T-ICE, rhymes with nice, mice.

I do get a lot of Th-ice, Thi-jis, teese, ty (i think the people who pronounce it ty really just give up, I would)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey T-ICE.......
There was a rapper in the states named ICE-T...Any resemblance....8p :rolleyes:

Datdude
12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Hey T-ICE.......
There was a rapper in the states named ICE-T...Any resemblance....8p :rolleyes:

Dyslexic ICE-T

LakePirate
12-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I guess I should read the subject line

I thought you were going to pronounce the whole thing Thijsvogelzang

captain planet
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Wow I was listening to Howard Stern today (while farting around on TMC) and he started discussing my name (not me). It is not a very common name at all and was discussing with his co-host how nuts the name is. He mentioned that the kid is going to go through **** explaining his name.

Well he is right, but I have always treated it as funny. I emailed the show to see if I can get through to tell him stories such as when I changed my name in grade one for a month without mom knowing about it. Also the differrent techniques teachers have used to try pronounce my name right on the first day roll calls.

We'll see if they get back to me.

Thijs (BTW- pronounced 'Tice')
I heard it but I had to listen to it again on replay to see what you were talking about.

suedv
12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm not Dutch, but I went to Calvin College. At the time I went about 85-90% of the students were Dutch. My first week of classes I thought my goodness these are the wierdest names I've ever heard. I was really thankful I didn't have a Dutch name. Now I have a Dutch last name.

Look at what love can do to ya. :D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Dyslexic ICE-T
Call it what you want, it's jus back arsewards....8p