PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 revisted

kycat2007
11-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Ok I know there is a thread just a few days ago about the nano and Ipod.

I went to Best Buy last night to look at the prospects.
Well the salesman says to buy a Mp3 player and not the Nano.
He says the MP3 player is easier to put music on, easy replacible battery, longer dailey battery life, use as a hard drive, and tells us that he has numerous returns on the Nanos in less than a year of ownership.

He says that the 4 gig Mp3 is cheaper and that is is a bit larger than Nano. He says he owns one and swears by it.

Ok tell me why I shouldn't or should believe him. I like the cheaper price and battery life. Give me the input guys and gals.:)

ski_king
11-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Which one was he refering to?

The new Sandisk's look pretty nice to me, but I have been wondering the same things.
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1220)-SanDisk_Sansa_e200R_Rhapsody_Series_MP3_Players.as px

Sodar
11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Ok I know there is a thread just a few days ago about the nano and Ipod.

I went to Best Buy last night to look at the prospects.
Well the salesman says to buy a Mp3 player and not the Nano.
He says the MP3 player is easier to put music on (entirely false, iTunes is designed to work seemlessly with the iPod), easy replacible battery (so is the Nano, just crack the case and reinstall, I think a replacement battery is ~$15), longer dailey battery life, (supposedly the new iPods have corrected this and they will last 24 hours) use as a hard drive (iPods do this as well), and tells us that he has numerous returns on the Nanos in less than a year of ownership. (iPod put the new generation Nano out very recently and corrected several issues with it)
He says that the 4 gig Mp3 is cheaper (probably true) and that is is a bit larger than Nano (All depends on disk size). He says he owns one and swears by it.

Ok tell me why I shouldn't or should believe him. I like the cheaper price and battery life. Give me the input guys and gals.:)

Other things to consider:
1 year warranty, with extended warranty to 3 years covers everything short of dropping the thing and water damage.

Color screen

Very cool and trendy looking design (may not be important to you, but I love the simple look and design of the iPod)

Size: the Nano is SMALL... (3.5" X .25" X 1.5")

kurtr
11-30-2006, 10:01 AM
My kids have Ipod's and they haven't had any trouble with them. One Ipod is a year old and the other is a couple years old. I have a 2 year old mp3 player. I can't see where either is any more difficult to load the songs on. That being said, my kids also said that thier friends with nanos had trouble breaking them because of handling. The nanos are pretty small and thin, easy to break if you are not careful. The battery life on my mp3 player is 4-5 hours.

What are you going to do with it? The Ipods have tons of accessories, the kids like to play the songs over the car radio. My mp3 player, I have not seen any accessories for doing things like that.

sanjuan23
11-30-2006, 10:01 AM
While we are on our 2nd Nano this year (warranty) my neighbor has been through about 5 of them, although he is a little rougher on them. Simplicity in design and function and Zero Interface issues that I am aware of I vote iPod in any version. I believe that the new Nano is to make up for all the design issues that the original had.

kycat2007
11-30-2006, 10:02 AM
It was the Sandisk model but he told us that you could get the small one that had 4 gig for $159.

kycat2007
11-30-2006, 10:06 AM
I saw that there was a fm transmitter available for the mp3 player to play it in the car as well as the Nano. The salesman said there was way too many warranty issues for his liking. He told me to but the extended warranty for it if I decided to go that direction.

I am not into too much of the videos but I would like it for the boat, car, and the gym.

Sodar
11-30-2006, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=kycat2007]He told me to but the extended warranty for it if I decided to go that direction.QUOTE]

I agree with him on this... I bought the extended warranty for my Apple Laptop and iPod. Their customer service is great... VERY fast and typically on my iPod issues, they just give me a new one.

kycat2007
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Scares me that there is so many warranty issues though.

east tx skier
11-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Coming up on 1 year with a 30 gig ipod and a nano. No issues.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I have the 60 Gig Ipod, year and half. All good and I use it often. I bought my dad a nano last christmas, he has had no issues and uses his alot. got Ms. UMP a nano for christmas this year.

kycat2007
11-30-2006, 11:53 AM
UMP how is she coming along with your purchase? jk:D

thijs
11-30-2006, 12:10 PM
My 30GB iPod froze up on me a couple of times, but all I needed to do was reboot the thing and it has been fine ever since. (Hold the play/pause and center buttons together for 7 seconds).

BTW- I believe the ease of uploading music to the iPod and especially organizing playlists are the features that make iPod the number one player.

11-30-2006, 12:10 PM
UMP how is she coming along with your purchase? jk:D
what purchase? :confused:

kycat2007
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Your nano? oh you have not given it to her yet ic:)

11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Your nano? oh you have not given it to her yet ic:)
I might give her the nano early.....we will see.

Maristar210
11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I might give her it early.....we will see.

Isn't she used to getting it early?8p :D

11-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Isn't she used to getting it early?8p :D
Dont hate me because I am beautiful Staristar!8p :D

Maristar210
11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Dont hate me because I am beautiful Staristar!8p :D

you had me at leather pants

11-30-2006, 02:35 PM
you had me at leather pants
Its good to be the king.....

Ryan
11-30-2006, 02:51 PM
It was the Sandisk model but he told us that you could get the small one that had 4 gig for $159.

You can get the Sandisk 8 GB Sansa on Costco.com right now for $184.99 ('till 12.03.06), only $25 more, and if it ever fails you can take it right back without having to buy any extended warranty.

I'm shopping for one right now too. I'm almost sold on the 8GB Sansa, the only thing holding me back is that the navigation buttons are slightly resessed and I have to use the side of my big moneky thumb to press them. Ok, and the Zune is tempting me for only $50 more with the ability to load every MP3 & CD I own.

Ryan
11-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Anyone have a Zune yet?