PDA

View Full Version : Drain block with shower?

airdrew99
11-29-2006, 05:17 PM
This past weekend I pulled my Prostar 190 out of the water. While we sat on the ramp, I ran the hot/cold shower. It ran for probably 60-90 seconds. Then I opened the drain on the side of the block and both exhaust manifold drains. Should this be sufficient winterization for my climate (Arkansas)?

erkoehler
11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
You should have a block drain on both sides of the engine....

airdrew99
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
It seems like I only have a block drain on the left side, but I will double check. It is a 351W.

RobertT
11-29-2006, 05:24 PM
A lot of people use one of the block drains for the hot water side of the shower. I know the shower motor causes substantial suction, so I would guess that it did pull all of the water out of the block on that side.

But, what about the other side, the one with the sensor on it? manifolds?

I pulled mine out and left the plugs out, ran the pump on the shower until it was dry, disconnected both heater hoses and simply blew through one until the core and both hoses were empty and left it at that. I am installing quick disconnects with hose connections similar to the manifold connector so I can blow down the heater in seconds.

Erk, others, sound right? Could there still be enough water that drips to cause a problem if he leaves the hot water hose on the drain port?

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 07:11 PM
This past weekend I pulled my Prostar 190 out of the water. While we sat on the ramp, I ran the hot/cold shower. It ran for probably 60-90 seconds. Then I opened the drain on the side of the block and both exhaust manifold drains. Should this be sufficient winterization for my climate (Arkansas)?

Probably not and if and when you move to NC is sure won't be enough. You will need a full winterization here, as it gets into the teens quite often during late Dec, Jan, Feb and most of March. 4 years ago it stayed in the low 20's for highs for over 2 weeks in Janurary.

airdrew99
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
TMC No1, I don't want to fully winterize it because we are still skiing. But, I guess I should.

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
TMC No1, I don't want to fully winterize it because we are still skiing. But, I guess I should.

Just be sure you do it before you start on your trip to NC.

butter
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
It seems like I only have a block drain on the left side, but I will double check. It is a 351W.

I recently figured this out (with TT help, of course) on my '92 205 (also with a 351W). The hot water supply for the shower is plumbed from the starboard drain plug location.

Even after running the shower until it was dry, there was still a significant amount of water that came out of the engine from the starboard drain plug when I disconnected the hose. I would recommend loosening the hose clamp and popping off the hose, in order to sufficiently winterize.

airdrew99
11-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I still need to look and see if mine has two drains on the block.