PDA

View Full Version : PS 197 questions....

Gixxer
11-29-2006, 02:45 PM
New owner of an 02 PS197. Got some questions

1) If the trailer brakes lock after you unhook electrical from the truck how can you manouver the boat in the garage by hand... is there some was to unlock the breaks manually?

2) What kind of locks do you use on the trailer toung... i cant find one that will fit all the way through both sides or the others are too bulky and get in the way of the trailer motion ie.. a regular pad lock. What are you guys using?

Glad to be here... my first post! My first MC!!! :D

Steve

rodltg2
11-29-2006, 03:05 PM
1) yes there is but i cant rememeber how
2)try an auto parts store should be able to find a lock

Sodar
11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
For the trailer brakes, just pull on the tongue and the brakes will release.

For the lock I bought one if these...
http://shop.easternmarine.com/images/product/5424.jpg

Here is the link:http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5424&categoryID=218

Ric
11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
New owner of an 02 PS197. Got some questions

1) If the trailer brakes lock after you unhook electrical from the truck how can you manouver the boat in the garage by hand... is there some was to unlock the breaks manually?

2) What kind of locks do you use on the trailer toung... i cant find one that will fit all the way through both sides or the others are too bulky and get in the way of the trailer motion ie.. a regular pad lock. What are you guys using?

Glad to be here... my first post! My first MC!!! :D

Steve
welcome
chock the wheels and pull the trailer tongue forward to unlock the brakes if they stay engaged after unhitching. I always give the boat a shove backward when unhitching. I do it with the tongue open and the tongue wheel down with a bit of pressure pushing up on the trailer. this uses the boats weight to pull the trailer backward from the tongue actuator and disengages whatever pressure may have been left on the brake cylinder after disconnecting the electrical I think.

You need the long lock for surge brake trailers. You can get one at a trailer shop
I think it's the 2-1/2" model

dmayer84
11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
2. I use the coupler lock on the page, it is about 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/automotive/towing/&displaynav=no&parent_id=&sub_cat_id=CA_TS_03&template=app

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 03:36 PM
2. I use the coupler lock on the page, it is about 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/automotive/towing/&displaynav=no&parent_id=&sub_cat_id=CA_TS_03&template=app

I thinks he needs one for towing, when the coupler is on the ball, not one for security when it's off the ball and parked. IIRC, Overtons, Ski Limited, Barts, West Marine carry versions that go from side to side with a locking barrel on one end, like post #3.

dmayer84
11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I thinks he needs one for towing, when the coupler is on the ball, not one for security when it's off the ball and parked. IIRC, Overtons, Ski Limited, Barts, West Marine carry versions that go from side to side with a locking barrel on the other end.

I was looking for one like that for my trailer. I was unable to find one wide enough for the tounge on my trailer.

Gixxer
11-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I was told that without the electrical hooked up the disc breaks automatically lock not being able to back up. I cant manouver it in the garage like i want to because the breaks are locked.

I cant find a lock long enough to go all the way through the trialer tounge while on the truck. The surge break tounge is wide! What do you guys put through the trailer while on the truck?

dmayer84
11-29-2006, 04:07 PM
I was told that without the electrical hooked up the disc breaks automatically lock not being able to back up. I cant manouver it in the garage like i want to because the breaks are locked.

I cant find a lock long enough to go all the way through the trialer tounge while on the truck. The surge break tounge is wide! What do you guys put through the trailer while on the truck?

Im guessing that you trailer has the flat 5 hookup, you can either put it in backwards and turn on the headlights, or there is a hook that is coming out from the brake actuator that you can pull up to keep the brakes from engaging. Just remember to push it down next time you go to tow it, or else you wont have any breaks. The first way is a lot easier. Just make sure not to keep backing up and break the actuator.

Ric
11-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Nah you can roll the trailer around unhitched as long as you are doing it by pushing on the boat or the trailer and NOT, the tongue
the brakes are actuated by the tongue being pushed rearward into the trailer frame
putting the truck in reverse without the lights plugged in would cause the actuator to move rearward and the brakes will engage. if your lights are connected properly, when you put the truck in reverse, the signal will be sent to the mc trailer brakes to disengage the brakes or bypass the brakes because we are trying to back up right now

use that long lock in that link from sodarski73
it's long enough to go thru the tongue latch of the square actuator you speak of

Ric
11-29-2006, 04:21 PM
wait if you are using one of those fancy motorized floor dolly things to move the boat around in the garage, then you need to fashion something that would plug into your light plug sending 12v to that backup lite attachment that disengages the brakes
is that the problem?

Gixxer
11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks Ric. That makes sense. Mabe I just need to pull the tounge out a bit to try to release the pressure and unlock the breaks. Might be my problem.. ill try it tonight as some others suggested. Thanks everyone!

Gixxer
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM
nope just moving by hand ... Dont want to put it into the kitchen with the truck! I can get it better in the corner and out of the way by hand...

Ric
11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Give the boat a shove by hand right before raise the tongue off the truck hitch... This will disengage the actuator.. that is what I do and you wanna be like me

Sodar
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5162&categoryID=0

They have a bigger one, but I believe the 2 1/2" is what I purchased.

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Gixxer, it's the one shown in post 3 and 15, it just goes in a different place on the tongue near the bottom. I think Wal-Mart even has them, along with most boat dealers. The post is 1/4" dia. x about 2 1/2" long. I have been using the same one for 9 years so I know there are plenty out there in the marketplace.

Kyle's_prostar205
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
On the bottom of your coupler ther should be a lever right behind where the ball goes into the coupler. If you pull the coupler all the way out and then press that lever you will release all pressure built up w/in the system. Contact your MC dealer and he can get you the device that they use to lock out the coupler from sliding back and forth when they use tractors to move the boats around their lots. Also try contacting UFP who makes the couplers for the boat trailers.

Sodar
11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Here is a diagram:
http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product_image.php?imageid=930

Here is what the piece looks like:
http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/files/images/thumbs_x/P30160.jpg