PDA

View Full Version : Teak sealing swim platform- question

H2OSKEE
11-29-2006, 07:16 AM
I found on this forum a set of directions from Harold Page about how to make the swim platform look good, using Star Brite teak sealer. The instructions say to use wet/dry sandpaper before you start, keeping the platform wet. I have done the first coat, and I am not clear on if I am supposed to wet the platform while I sand, before the second coat. It just says "then sand with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper." Also, how patient do I have to be before I start sanding- it's been almost 2 weeks and it still feels tacky.

G-man
11-29-2006, 08:32 AM
You may need to set the platform in the sun to bake for a couple hours. Sounds like to much oil was put on and not wiped off after putting on. I start with 150 grit then 100, 200, then start to wet sand. I put on about 2 coats with each grit of paper letting it "bake" between coats. When I get down to 600 grit I put the oil in my palm and hand rub it in till no more oil is on my hand. I'm sure my old friend Herold will chime in with a few more tips.

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Before applying any teak oil, sand wet then sand dry to remove the fuzz. Apply just enough oil to lightly wet the teak, not pooling up on it, believe me it will dry. Apply at least 2 coats allowing both to dry throughly between coats before any sanding. Sand the teak finish with soapy water from here on out, do not sand dry, because it will gum up the sandpaper. As G-man said put it out in the sun for several hours to dry. Then 2 coats, dry, sand, 2 coats, dry, sand, 2 coats getting finer on the sandpaper till you get the gloss/finish you want. And, IT DOES TAKE PATIENCE! Good luck!

SkiDog
11-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Before applying any teak oil, sand wet then sand dry to remove the fuzz. Apply just enough oil to lightly wet the teak, not pooling up on it, believe me it will dry. Apply at least 2 coats allowing both to dry throughly between coats before any sanding. Sand the teak finish with soapy water from here on out, do not sand dry, because it will gum up the sandpaper. As G-man said put it out in the sun for several hours to dry. Then 2 coats, dry, sand, 2 coats, dry, sand, 2 coats getting finer on the sandpaper till you get the gloss/finish you want. And, IT DOES TAKE PATIENCE! Good luck!

Just what the hell do you know about teak finishing?:D

TMCNo1
11-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Just what the hell do you know about teak finishing?:D
:uglyhamme :popcorn: :toast:

SkiDog
11-30-2006, 11:29 AM
:uglyhamme :popcorn: :toast:
I knew you would like that!:D

dog paw
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
This might make a pro refinisher cringe but I have found taking a pressure washer to mine first cleans out the old gunk real good. After drying a rubdown with a scotchbrite red get rid of all the fuzzies. I have used Star Brite with good results. The dogs toenails have put a hurting on my deck this summer:(

H2OSKEE
12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just sanded it today in preparation for the 2nd coat.