PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry?

tex
11-28-2006, 09:46 PM
OK, Work is getting crazy enough that I may have to give up and get a Blackberry. Pros, Cons, Plans, $$$, etc...I need advice from the only people that I really trust.

Hoosier Bob
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I just got mine today. Replaced my Treo. Loved my Treo can't stand that I can't touch screen or Palm. I will check back with you after I have given it a chance. Happy Birthday!
Take care!

milkmania
11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
off topic, but I saw an ad from Cingular today about their new Blackjack
http://mobilitytoday.com/news/007191/cingular_blackjack_com

dmayer84
11-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I have a nextel black berry im looking to get rid of. Switched to verizon for the corporate discount.

dmayer84
11-28-2006, 09:59 PM
OK, Work is getting crazy enough that I may have to give up and get a Blackberry. Pros, Cons, Plans, $$$, etc...I need advice from the only people that I really trust.

Plans with a Berry your looking to spend at least $100 a month.They are great for staying in contact with emails and such. One thing that is great is that if it is setup in a corporate environment all of the contacts are backed up to the server. No camera tho :(, Getting one really depends on what you are going to be using it for. I also got rid of mine because they saw that I had one at work and wanted to set me up, I said no thanks.

6ballsisall
11-28-2006, 10:04 PM
I've used a Blackberry now for better than three years. If you need to be mobile yet still fully accesible to email there is nothing better than BB. I just got the new Blackberry Pearl today and as we speak am programming it.
If you are looking for constant access to email you can't beat a BB, they outperform a TREO or any other PDA phone. Some of the email services available will depend on your company email type (Domino, Exchange, BES, etc.....)
Feel free to ask away as it relates to BB.

As for rates, I have had both Tmobile and Verizon for BB service w/ phone. Verizon is a little steep, but for coverage for both phone and BB I haven't found better. Tmobile is by far the most cost effective for BB service.

Here is a GREAT forum for Blackberry stuff.....

www.blackberryforums.com

bradamerry
11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I like mine.

rodltg2
11-28-2006, 10:45 PM
i have a nextel one. aside from the size of it compared to a normal phone , i like it.

Sodar
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree with loving the treo. I too got a blackberry when I started at my new company, but hate it. I only carry it with me during work hours and throw it in my briefcase the rest of the time. My ex-girlfriend had the "Q" I used it quite a bit and really liked it, all except that it was not touch screen either.

Maristar210
11-28-2006, 11:17 PM
TEX,

Don't do it. It's like wearing a f-ing cowbell.

We all need some alone time - kerplunk that f-in thing into the lake and stir up a margerita instead.:D :D

Your friend - Steve the .......

Sodar
11-28-2006, 11:48 PM
You got that one right Steve!! The joys of technology keep us TOO connected on a 24/7 basis. I remember when I was a about 5 or 6 and my dad got one of the first satelite phone domes on his boat, so he could do business while we were fishing offshore... the ringing of that thing still has me haunted to this day!! I hated it with a passion!

6ballsisall
11-29-2006, 12:05 AM
We call them Crackberrys. Once you've had one for a while you definetely become addicted to it. Personally I don't mind being connected most of the time, I am so much more productive when I can answer and reply to things at my free will, not having to "find" a computer to check email. I do get about 90-125 emails a day that require my attention though......:rolleyes:

LakePirate
11-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Love mine. One thing I would change is to get one with individual buttons for all the letters. The predictive typing is pretty good, but it is much easier to just punch the right key.

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I saw a Verizon pocket PC. Can't remember what their web plan costs, but I prefer the look of IE when doing mobile web. Anyone have experience with these. A friend of mine had one that was WIFI, but not mobile (hot spot only). I liked the features, but lack of total net access seemed like a waste.

bcampbe7
11-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I saw a Verizon pocket PC. Can't remember what their web plan costs, but I prefer the look of IE when doing mobile web. Anyone have experience with these. A friend of mine had one that was WIFI, but not mobile (hot spot only). I liked the features, but lack of total net access seemed like a waste.

The Samsung i730 is a sweet PDA phone.
You can do wireless via a hotspot or Verizon's broadband.

Take a look at it...

bcampbe7
11-29-2006, 11:58 AM
I can't edit my post so to add to the above post;

These phone are big. If you don't mind carrying one around on your hip, then go for it. They are usually a bit big to fit comfortably in a front pocket, or so I think... The Samsung i730 is probably one of the bigger/bulkier PDA phones, but also has the most processing power.

phecksel
11-29-2006, 12:05 PM
TEX,

Don't do it. It's like wearing a f-ing cowbell.

We all need some alone time - kerplunk that f-in thing into the lake and stir up a margerita instead.:D :D

Your friend - Steve the .......
Agree, way too connected. When do you get real work done?

M-Funf
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
I had a Treo 600 with Sprint and dumpted it because the coverage was so bad.

I got a Treo 650 AND a RAZR for my wife for around $110/mo. Service is Cingular

I've also got GoodLink (www.good.com) on my Treo for E-Mail. Synchronizes everything (e-mail, contacts, calendar, etc.) automatically over the airways. No more docking to my desktop.

The T650 is also Bluetooth compatible, which was another goal for me since CA law says we have to go hands-free while driving. It also connects to my car via bluetooth so I can just throw the phone in my bag or in the trunk and all the calls are controlled from the Nav screen. All my phonebook entries, calendar and e-mail are on that screen as well...pretty nifty.

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm stuck with Sprint for the time being. I see they have a pocket PC on Sprint as well. Was the web service covered under the PCS Vision plan? I can currently get on the web on my flip phone, but the graphics leave much to be desired. So if I switched phones (again), would it work with one of the "smart devices."

sanjuan23
11-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Still constantly cursing Nextel/Sprint!! I had the Nextel Blackberry for a while but after the extremely high cost of monthly service and constantly breaking antenna bases I was done! Besides I like to get out of reach constantly somethings can definitely wait until the next day. Although I do miss Brick Break...:)

BrianM
11-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm stuck with Sprint for the time being. I see they have a pocket PC on Sprint as well. Was the web service covered under the PCS Vision plan? I can currently get on the web on my flip phone, but the graphics leave much to be desired. So if I switched phones (again), would it work with one of the "smart devices."

I have a Treo 600 with Sprint and all of my web browsing is included in the Vision plan. Around here I have had very good coverage and service with Sprint. Getting ready to upgrade to the new Treo 700 though which is supposed to have much higher speed browsing..

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 03:24 PM
I was looking at the 700 before lunch today. Wish I was getting new service as they can be had for a much lower price. I may have reached my limit on new phone discounts last year.

M-Funf
11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
I also looked at the 700, but it was Windows based rather than a Palm OS. They didn't offer the 700P (Palm OS based) I have some other programs that are Palm based that I wouldn't have been able to use on the 700, so I opted to stay with the 650.

So far, I like it much better than the 600...

6ballsisall
11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
I have had the new Blackberry Pearl for about 16 hours now. I've had all the BB models, a Treo 700w, a Samsung i730 and this BB Pearl has to be the coolest device ever!

It's nearly as thin as the Razr phone, an incredible screen, has expandable memory and plays MP3's and video. the form factor is smaller and just coming from a BB 7250 it will take a few days to get use to but overall this thing is BAD ARSE!!!!!!!!!

BIGBADBLUE
11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
BB is great for email. No other is better in my opinion and I have had most of them. The phone totally sucks. I hate it, hate it, hate it. Lots of dropped calls and receptions is marginal. I have CIngular.

If mostly for email then BB is great. My guys are all getting an additional phone so they carry 2 devices. That kinda defeats the purpose for me.

BrianM
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I also looked at the 700, but it was Windows based rather than a Palm OS. They didn't offer the 700P (Palm OS based) I have some other programs that are Palm based that I wouldn't have been able to use on the 700, so I opted to stay with the 650.

So far, I like it much better than the 600...

Sprint has both the 700w and the 700P which is what I have to have. One of my main applications will not work with the windows system.

TourneyChef
11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Bought 700g off of ebay for $100. I originally got it to replace a phone that fell in the lake at a water ski tournament this fall. My suck a$$ provider (cellular one) wouldn't get me out of my contract or give me a new phone to replace my old for under 100 bones. I got much more for much less on ebay. You do have to be aware of what you're buying though and from who. If you've got a plan already and just looking to add a phone to your existing plan- it's the way to go. If your getting a whole new contract... that's usaully the best deal you'll get yourself unless you hate your current provider as I do.

Enjoy your new phone, after some practice- you will.

Jet
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I have had a BB for the last 2 years and I would not go without, except for week-ends when it does not want to stop vibrating. Also, I use it as my personal phone, so you kind of look at your e-mails 24/7.

Great tool though ! Just my two cents...

Carbon Dreams
11-29-2006, 09:07 PM
I've had just about every brand of phone from the old bag phones to the newest PDA's. Currently I have a Cingular Blackberry. Definately one of the most durable phone I've owned. Unfortunately, it always knows how to get ahold of me.:rolleyes:

Like all phones, it has an off mode. One that I am learning to use.

tex
11-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Still rocking the BB!

RK@UST
11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I have tried a lot of them
By far my BB 8800 is the best .
Fast.
Mine is with Cing/ATT same thing , I have a full media plan runs about 100 bucks, plus I got the GPS unlimited for 10 bucks a month and absolultely love that feature for travel. The GPS is very user friendly and great features .

RexDog1
11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Fast.
Mine is with Cing/ATT same thing , I have a full media plan runs about 100 bucks, plus I got the GPS unlimited for 10 bucks a month and absolultely love that feature for travel. The GPS is very user friendly and great features .

yes i have the 8800 also, the GPS is so cool, and i can go on TT when i am in the field:D

bcampbe7
11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I have the 8703. It has come in handy many times. My employer pays for it also, so that helps. :D

Mikey
11-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds like alot of BB fans here. But, has anyone tried out the IPhone?
They cost half as much as when they first came out and I am thinking about getting one in the near future.

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I have a palm Treo. i love it!!! easier to use with the touchscreen and stylis.

dmayer84
11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I just got the new Verizon BB Pearl 8130 and I am loving it. Better than my old Nextel BB 7100i

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Figured I'd dig this thread up again. After much comparison, I picked up an HTC Mogul online yesterday. I liked being able to keep the touch screen option and have a full QWERTY available as well as wifi for greater speed when I'm near a hotspot. Loved the Moto Q9c, but the thought of tabbing through web links, etc. was not appealing. Also looked at the BB8830, but had heard that the phone quality not so great due to microphone sensitivity. We have a friend who has the Mogul and she absolutely loves it. Now I just need to dig out another $30 per month for a data plan now.

Kyle's_prostar205
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Anybody have any expierence with a Moto Q Global edition from AT&T?

tcfila
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Fast.

I love the 8800 as well but refuse to pay $10/month for gps. Instead I downloaded Google Maps. It has real time GPS enabled. It is absolutely free.

bigmac
12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Anybody have any expierence with a Moto Q Global edition from AT&T?

I have a Motorola Q with Unicel (CDMA). It's OK. I don't use the internet much on it, I have a laptop for that. For me, its greatest value is its Microsoft Exchange function - my office people can enter stuff into the phone's calendar/reminder function through their regular Microsoft Outlook account, and my contact list is maintained from my Outlook contacts. THAT in itself makes it far better than any Palm device I've ever owned. Battery life can be a problem, so the extended battery pack is important. Otherwise, it works as advertised. I'm not somebody who is capable of falling in love with a communication device ...for me, it's a tool - a necessary part of my job. It serves that purpose adequately and I don't have any complaints about it. I do wish it had WiFi, but from what I hear the Q9 (next version) has that - all it has to do is trickle down to my little service provider.

Kyle's_prostar205
12-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a Motorola Q with Unicel (CDMA). It's OK. I don't use the internet much on it, I have a laptop for that. For me, its greatest value is its Microsoft Exchange function - my office people can enter stuff into the phone's calendar/reminder function through their regular Microsoft Outlook account, and my contact list is maintained from my Outlook contacts. THAT in itself makes it far better than any Palm device I've ever owned. Battery life can be a problem, so the extended battery pack is important. Otherwise, it works as advertised. I'm not somebody who is capable of falling in love with a communication device ...for me, it's a tool - a necessary part of my job. It serves that purpose adequately and I don't have any complaints about it. I do wish it had WiFi, but from what I hear the Q9 (next version) has that - all it has to do is trickle down to my little service provider.

Awesome! Thanks for the input!

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 12:59 PM

I don't think the Q9_ has wifi, although you can add an sd wifi card to it (about $100). Maybe it depends on the carrier. That was another perk for the 6800 for me. I'm hoping the phone end of it is good enough. The Q supposedly makes a pretty good phone versus the other offerings.

Need to figure out how our office's exchange server is setup from a calendaring standpoint. I know I can get email, but my calendard and contacts never show up when I check my work email remotely. Supposedly WM 6.x has a lot of improvements when it comes to MS Exchange server.

bigmac
12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the input!

We did trial both the Treo and the Blackberry, but found that the Q worked MUCH better and much more reliably with Microsoft Exchange than the other two. Our IT people say it's because Windows Mobile is more compatible with Microsoft Exchange. Syncing was problematic with those other two devices and they kept losing emails. Additionally, Microsoft's ActiveSync (free) allows me to interface directly with my laptop, and I can also access it easily using Bluetooth from my Mac laptop or desktop machines - useful for uploading images, videos, or ringtones.

Kyle's_prostar205
12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
We did trial both the Treo and the Blackberry, but found that the Q worked MUCH better and much more reliably with Microsoft Exchange than the other two. Our IT people say it's because Windows Mobile is more compatible with Microsoft Exchange. Syncing was problematic with those other two devices and they kept losing emails. Additionally, Microsoft's ActiveSync (free) allows me to interface directly with my laptop, and I can also access it easily using Bluetooth from my Mac laptop or desktop machines - useful for uploading images, videos, or ringtones.

That is exactly why I want to go with the Moto Q. Do you know if it has the capbility of pluging in to my lap top and acting as my link to the internet? I have seen some phones that you can do this with and was curious if the Q has that feature?

bigmac
12-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think the Q9_ has wifi, although you can add an sd wifi card to it (about $100). Maybe it depends on the carrier. That was another perk for the 6800 for me. I'm hoping the phone end of it is good enough. The Q supposedly makes a pretty good phone versus the other offerings.

Need to figure out how our office's exchange server is setup from a calendaring standpoint. I know I can get email, but my calendard and contacts never show up when I check my work email remotely. Supposedly WM 6.x has a lot of improvements when it comes to MS Exchange server.

You should be able to have access to your calendar and contacts from Microsoft Outlook, and they are part of the update process every time the phone syncs with the Exchange Server. In addition, I can also use mine to synch with my home ISP (Charter) and get email from it too.

You can go into Outlook and give anyone on your domain access to your calendar at various privilege levels, so they can enter dates and appointments for you. Calendar and Contacts are both also accessible from Outlook Web Access if your IT people have so configured it.

As to WiFi, I'm anticipating that someone will give me an iPod touch for xmas. I'll be interested to see if it will support our WiFi network. It's uses LEAP, which I think the iPod won't support, but I'm told here at work that they can also use MAC addressing to allow the device to access.

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Is your Q running windows mobile 5 or 6?

bigmac
12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
That is exactly why I want to go with the Moto Q. Do you know if it has the capbility of pluging in to my lap top and acting as my link to the internet? I have seen some phones that you can do this with and was curious if the Q has that feature?

Yes. I haven't used the Q in that manner, but I have done that with my previous cellphones (RazR and 780) using Motorola Mobile Phone tools.

Motorola Q uses CDMA EVDO, so if you need broadband in your notebook with speeds around 700kbs, you can re-use your Motorola Q - as a USB modem.

To setup the Q:
Dial ##342587
Enable Dial-Up Networking
Go to Start, Accessories, Modem Link
Make sure that "USB" is selected under "Connection"
Select "Activate"
Download the driver Here.
Plug in the Q.
When the New Hardware Dialogue appears, select "Install from a specific location" and point to the folder you have stored the driver.
Clicking "Next" a few times will complete the installation.

To prevent the phone from locking up, you have to do these steps in this order.
When you go into the "Modem Link" program, you will select Activate and then Done. The Q will return to the home screen.
Plug in your USB cable. Tether.
When done, disconnect the DUN connection on the computer side and wait for it to be clearly gone.
Reopen the Modem Link program and select "Deactivate".
The hourglass thingy will appear. Once the status reads "Inactive" select done.
The Modem Link program will exit and now the Q will function in
Activesync mode again as normal. Enjoy

Kyle's_prostar205
12-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Thats great! Thanks for the info! I have made my mind up on which I will be getting!

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
You should be able to have access to your calendar and contacts from Microsoft Outlook, and they are part of the update process every time the phone syncs with the Exchange Server. In addition, I can also use mine to synch with my home ISP (Charter) and get email from it too.

You can go into Outlook and give anyone on your domain access to your calendar at various privilege levels, so they can enter dates and appointments for you. Calendar and Contacts are both also accessible from Outlook Web Access if your IT people have so configured it.

As to WiFi, I'm anticipating that someone will give me an iPod touch for xmas. I'll be interested to see if it will support our WiFi network. It's uses LEAP, which I think the iPod won't support, but I'm told here at work that they can also use MAC addressing to allow the device to access.

All of our IT is handled out of Austin, but fortunately, our contact was here working on some stuff. For some reason, the exchange address I had worked for email, but little else. He gave me a new address and everything is pushed out to it.

Is there a way to have a windows mobile device automatically sync the contact and calendar from the exchange server, but leave the emails alone unless I am out of the office?

As for the ipod touch, I suppose the reason you wouldn't just get an iphone is the whole windows mobile working so well with MS Exchange server? Apple's supposed to have a 3G iphone out next year, which I suppose would have wifi, too. That will be good for those who have complained about browsing speed. Has Apple done anything to improve the voice quality on the iphone yet?

bigmac
12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Is your Q running windows mobile 5 or 6?

Version 5.0

Shintao
12-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Do not touch!!!! Go with a windows based device such as the Motorola Q or the Samsung Blackjack. If you are using Macs then I would not recommend either. The new Q9h is out right now with ATT, it is a substantial upgrade from the original Q. Lack of touch screen is not a problem, I feel that it actually enhances the ease of use especially with one handed operation. Also, the windows based devices are a lot simpler to set up and if you are using Microsoft Exchange Server, the set up time is in the neighborhood of two minutes. I have done this where I work from a purchasing and tech support role for three years, and we have moved all our people from an assortment of Treos and BBs to Qs. Best of luck

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I think you were responding to BigMac, but just for the record, my 6800 is a Windows based device with a touch or QWERTY option. As for Treos, I keep reading that the Palm OS is in its last incarnation. I think the 700 was WM 5.0, but the 755 is a palm os again. All of my computers are windows based and my last handheld was windows based, so that's an easy decision for me. Basically had it down to the Q9c or the Mogul 6800. Having touch as an option and a keyboard that stows was worth the extra ounce in weight for me. Went and tested one to be sure I could deal with that. Put it in my pocket just to be extra sure.

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Version 5.0

Supposedly, most of the V. 6.x upgrades are most beneficial to those using exchange server. The Q9_ should have 6. Supposedly for 2008, there will be a Q[10] that will have a touch screen. But there's always something better around the corner. I expect my phone to be outdated before it gets here.

bigmac
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Do not touch!!!! Go with a windows based device such as the Motorola Q or the Samsung Blackjack. If you are using Macs then I would not recommend either. The new Q9h is out right now with ATT, it is a substantial upgrade from the original Q. Lack of touch screen is not a problem, I feel that it actually enhances the ease of use especially with one handed operation. Also, the windows based devices are a lot simpler to set up and if you are using Microsoft Exchange Server, the set up time is in the neighborhood of two minutes. I have done this where I work from a purchasing and tech support role for three years, and we have moved all our people from an assortment of Treos and BBs to Qs. Best of luck
Macs run Windows just fine, including ActiveSync.

mcdoon
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I think you were responding to BigMac, but just for the record, my 6800 is a Windows based device with a touch or QWERTY option. As for Treos, I keep reading that the Palm OS is in its last incarnation. I think the 700 was WM 5.0, but the 755 is a palm os again. All of my computers are windows based and my last handheld was windows based, so that's an easy decision for me. Basically had it down to the Q9c or the Mogul 6800. Having touch as an option and a keyboard that stows was worth the extra ounce in weight for me. Went and tested one to be sure I could deal with that. Put it in my pocket just to be extra sure.

East--Lots of good stuff in this thread. You obviously did a lot of homework and comparison shopping. Can you sum up the primary features that pointed you to the 6800? We're an Exchange shop supporting nothing but BBs. We've had very few sync issues and most users are happy with their BB, but if there's a better mousetrap out there....

bigmac
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Yeh ,you can choose what to sync - you can sync calendar contacts or email separately or not at all.
Nah...I don't have an iPhone and don't see one in my future. Apple sells consumer products - business has never been their market, nor do they cater to it, and the iPhone is no different. I use their stuff as a consumer, but not in my business.
Not exactly true...I just got rid of my trustly old IBM X40 for a MacBook Pro dual-boot (Windows XP and Mac OSX). Nice machine.

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 06:47 PM
East--Lots of good stuff in this thread. You obviously did a lot of homework and comparison shopping. Can you sum up the primary features that pointed you to the 6800? We're an Exchange shop supporting nothing but BBs. We've had very few sync issues and most users are happy with their BB, but if there's a better mousetrap out there....

Well, for starters, I'm on my wife's Sprint plan and let's just say they have us for life. Their data is relatively cheap and quick, but I'm stuck with their crop of phones.

Based on past experience with a pocket pc, I knew I preferred to have something with a touch screen to make hitting links easier. But I also knew I wanted a full QWERTY as the touch screen doesn't make much for typing. From the previous pocket pc, I knew I could live with Windows Mobile. My office has a BB server and exchange server, but everything I do as contacts, calendars and emails go at work is Outlook, so windows ought to be compatible.

As for Treo, I've read that the Palm OS's days are numbered. That ruled out the centro, too. No blackberry or Moto Q with a touch screen yet. I've also heard mixed reviews on the 8830's voice quality (although it's been nothing but good email reviewwise).

So the HTC Mogul 6800 was what was left. Went and played with it and the Q9c just to be sure I would like it and it felt fine. The Q is a tad lighter, but a little more squat, so the 6800 actually felt better in my hand/pocket. The keyboard on the 6800 is a little bigger than the Q, although I'm sure I could've gotten used to the q.

We've got a friend who is a rep for sprint and she basically has her pick of phones. She's had the 6800 since new and loves it. The guys at the sprint store mentioned that their rep had one and loves it (of course, small town, same rep). They said the voice quality talking to her is about as good as any of them (though I suspect the Q would probably win out if we got picky about voice).

I'll know more when it arrives and I get it up and running.

BigMac, I checked out the manual and it looks like I have a lot of options in that regard as far as the exchange server goes. Add my pop3 accounts and I'm good to go.

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Yeh ,you can choose what to sync - you can sync calendar contacts or email separately or not at all.

Not exactly true...I just got rid of my trustly old IBM X40 for a MacBook Pro dual-boot (Windows XP and Mac OSX). Nice machine.

I think you have me misquoted above???

bigmac
12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I think you have me misquoted above???Yup. Sorry about that...I just noticed it. Obviously a case of the brain farts. I was actually quoting myself but screwed up the post and ended up attributing my statement to you. Such lofty aspirations on my part...I'll do anything for a little credibility.;)

trickskier
12-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I do not like mine!!!

dpolen
12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Here's a vote for the Blackberry Curve, best phone I've ever had. Even better than the Pearl in my opinion. Cingular is the provider.

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 10:31 PM
I do not like mine!!!

Your what???

east tx skier
12-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Yup. Sorry about that...I just noticed it. Obviously a case of the brain farts. I was actually quoting myself but screwed up the post and ended up attributing my statement to you. Such lofty aspirations on my part...I'll do anything for a little credibility.;)

Yeah, I did actually try to figure out who you were quoting to see if I was at least on solid ground with whatever I'd said. :)

mcdoon
12-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Well, for starters, I'm on my wife's Sprint plan and let's just say they have us for life. Their data is relatively cheap and quick, but I'm stuck with their crop of phones.

Based on past experience with a pocket pc, I knew I preferred to have something with a touch screen to make hitting links easier. But I also knew I wanted a full QWERTY as the touch screen doesn't make much for typing. From the previous pocket pc, I knew I could live with Windows Mobile. My office has a BB server and exchange server, but everything I do as contacts, calendars and emails go at work is Outlook, so windows ought to be compatible.

As for Treo, I've read that the Palm OS's days are numbered. That ruled out the centro, too. No blackberry or Moto Q with a touch screen yet. I've also heard mixed reviews on the 8830's voice quality (although it's been nothing but good email reviewwise).

So the HTC Mogul 6800 was what was left. Went and played with it and the Q9c just to be sure I would like it and it felt fine. The Q is a tad lighter, but a little more squat, so the 6800 actually felt better in my hand/pocket. The keyboard on the 6800 is a little bigger than the Q, although I'm sure I could've gotten used to the q.

We've got a friend who is a rep for sprint and she basically has her pick of phones. She's had the 6800 since new and loves it. The guys at the sprint store mentioned that their rep had one and loves it (of course, small town, same rep). They said the voice quality talking to her is about as good as any of them (though I suspect the Q would probably win out if we got picky about voice).

I'll know more when it arrives and I get it up and running.

BigMac, I checked out the manual and it looks like I have a lot of options in that regard as far as the exchange server goes. Add my pop3 accounts and I'm good to go.

East--Thanks. I'm with Verizon so I won't be seeing any of the Mogul 6800. Hope it works out well for you. I think I'm going to put one of the Motorola Q devices through the paces and see whether it's as functional and cheaper to support than the BBs.

east tx skier
12-06-2007, 04:59 PM
The Q was my second choice. The only thing it lacked for me was the touch screen option (but that is coming in 2008 from what I've read). Great looking device and purports to function well.

milkmania
12-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Here's a vote for the Blackberry Curve, best phone I've ever had. Even better than the Pearl in my opinion. Cingular is the provider.

was eyeballing the Blackberry Curve 8310 Titanium with GPS

they gave me a quote down to $299.00 after $100 off rebate

Cingular since 1999

Farmer Ted
12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I have an 8820, love google maps with traffic

milkmania
12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I have an 8820, love google maps with traffic

what I like is the idea of the wifi.....
can make calls using my local network
and the GPS feature

8820 & 8310 side by side
http://www.techshout.com/gadgets/2007/01/blackberry-8820-and-8310-smartphones-launched-in-india-by-vodafone/

east tx skier
12-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Loving the HTC mogul. Also has wifi, gps, large screen, larger than expected qwerty, etc. Set up with pop3 and exchange server took only a few minutes. Voice quality is very good.

http://www.techshout.com/images/htc-mogul-sprint.jpg

Farmer Ted
12-12-2007, 10:13 PM
what I like is the idea of the wifi.....
can make calls using my local network
and the GPS feature

8820 & 8310 side by side
http://www.techshout.com/gadgets/2007/01/blackberry-8820-and-8310-smartphones-launched-in-india-by-vodafone/

the browers pretty much sucks other than checking weather, traffic, news

it looks like the 8310 might have bigger keyboard and screen

Doug G
12-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I've used a Blackberry now for better than three years. If you need to be mobile yet still fully accesible to email there is nothing better than BB. I just got the new Blackberry Pearl today and as we speak am programming it.
If you are looking for constant access to email you can't beat a BB, they outperform a TREO or any other PDA phone. Some of the email services available will depend on your company email type (Domino, Exchange, BES, etc.....)
Feel free to ask away as it relates to BB.

As for rates, I have had both Tmobile and Verizon for BB service w/ phone. Verizon is a little steep, but for coverage for both phone and BB I haven't found better. Tmobile is by far the most cost effective for BB service.

www.blackberryforums.com (http://www.blackberryforums.com)

Also used for several years. Had T-Mobile now Verizon. Agree with all of the above. Big difference in experince if you company is running Blackberry Enterprise server.

I am in the it's 2 damn connected camp. Mine has an off button and I use it. I absolutely hate the expectation of others that I read and respond to every email instantly because I have one. It is very convenient and brings value when out of the office and of little value when in the office for me.

milkmania
12-13-2007, 02:00 AM

www.blackberryforums.com (http://www.blackberryforums.com)

thanks for the link, looks like good support base there