PDA

View Full Version : Stars and Stripes Windshield

jtroutner
11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a restored late model 1981 19skier Powerslot that is presently in the need of replacement windshield glass (long story). I believe the windshield was a three piece Taylor made, however a few years ago I had tempered glass made for the wing windows (do not have the original plastic wings) and when the windshield broke it converted it self back to sand so I have no identifying markings.

Best solution would be how I could find a new or original replacement windshield, windshield frame not required but will purchase if necessary. Next best solution would be to acquire the manufacture and part# of the windshield that is etched onto the glass. I believe all the early Stars and Stripes after 81 and a half used the same glass.

Thanks

milkmania
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
this thread might help you a little

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13010

also note post #16 from Jim@BAWS

and post #8 from Monte72

ski_king
11-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry, I am not much help other than a bump to the top of the list.
When you find a source, please let East TX Skier know so he can add it to the FAQ thread. I hope I never need one, but I want to know where to go should I need one for my 82.

The other thread milk referred to was for the older rounded windhield, but I bet Jim@BAWS can help you out or point you in the right direction. All I know for sure is it is/was made by Taylor Made.

Footin
11-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Good luck getting one from Taylor Made, I contacted them last year for a replacement side window for my 94 and they said it was not made anymore and the tooling used to make it was gone.

jtroutner
11-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Yes, Taylor Made told me there was NO inventory kept on any product over 10years old. If I could get a part number then their customs division may be able to build it in plastic, not my first choise by might be able to get the drawings for the glass.

Did you find your wing window? guess I should have kept mine. although the original plastic wings had a slight curve to them, I had the local glass shop make me two flat tempered glass wings that worked great.

Footin
11-28-2006, 09:58 PM
I did get mine, MC had it in stock.

jtroutner
12-02-2006, 09:00 PM
This is probably the wrong time of the year to ask (even thought we are still watersking here) but can any one see a Taylor Made part# etched onto the windsheld glass??

Also how are pictures posted?? I have a few that I can put up during the restore.

TMCNo1
12-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Also how are pictures posted?? I have a few that I can put up during the restore.
Just under the last post on the lower left is "Post Reply". under it in a seperate section, Additional Options is Manage Attachments, click on it and you will see browse, click on browse and choose the file you have pics in and open that pic then click on upload and the pic will go into post if it is of OK size, then submit reply. I am not experienced enough to resize yet, but someone will help, if you need. Anytime you see "Additional Options" and "Manage Attachments" below you can upload pics, you cannot under "Quick Reply.
Hope this helps somewhat.

jtroutner
12-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Pictures of the restore

http://jtroutner.blogspot.com

puck_11
12-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Wow! That's impressive!

dmayer84
12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Nice work, looks great.

TMCNo1
12-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Pictures of the restore

http://jtroutner.blogspot.com

Nice looking job and looks like you have a good facility to do the work in and to do it right!

chudson
12-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Great job you should be real proud of that! Just read this post and see you need a serial number, I'll check my 81 tonight and let you know tomorrow morning. By the way do you have all the books on the boat ( parts catalog , owners manual, PCM engine owners manual) if not PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of them for the "81".

dog paw
12-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow! Sweet work, I have a 84 that you need to meet LOL!

The side panels on my windshield have a bit of that spider web thing starting:(

Brn85ss
12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Marineglasspecialties.com

jtroutner
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all your Help. The shop is not mine but after a six month rebuild back in the winter of 2000, I did become friends with the owner.

I did contact Marine Glass, they can make a flat piece of 1/8th inch thick safety glass that they indicated will bend enough for the arc to the windshield, however this is only about 1/2 the thickness of the shock glass.

I think I will be returning to the shop that performed the rebuild, since besides the windshield, it is time to have all the wood in the bilge checked and the desk replaced and carpeted. Will probable replace with acrylic Plexiglas until I can locate a replacement stock windshield.

M-Funf
12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
What type of wood did you use to fab the dash? I was thinking about changing my boring black plastic dash to wood, but don't know if I should use marine plywood or solid wood (mine is flat, so it would be easy, even with solid wood)

Thanks! Nice lookin' resto :cool:

pilot02
12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice job!
Is it painted or did you re gelcoat it?

jtroutner
12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
The wood on the dash is a mahogany veneer under 8 coats of epoxy and all new gauges. Did not realize that the stock padded dash was applied with RTV, took forever to get it all removed.
The boat had to first be sanded and sealed since the Red glitter glass was disintegrating, then color coats (all graphics are painted in) then the clear coats. All in all 8 coats of two part urethane. Presently going on seven years and 600 hours (2000 total for the boat), and it still looks great.