PDA

View Full Version : goin for it....

rodltg2
11-28-2006, 03:33 PM
going to try and ski all winter long. just bought this bad boy to keep the engine warm. dipped below freezing last night here :( takes to long to get my boat in and out of the garage so its staying outside under the steel shed. bought a dehydrator and this block warmer....

M-Funf
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Rod,
Do you think one night (actually about 6 hours) of 32 degree temp is going to blow a block? I've got my boat in a barn with no heat...not winterized...:confused:

rodltg2
11-28-2006, 04:16 PM
no , i think it would take awhile...but dont take my word for it. this block heater was 350 and its a nice peace of mind..

H20skeefreek
11-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Rod, where did you buy it? Which size did you get?

Archimedes
11-28-2006, 09:53 PM
no , i think it would take awhile...but dont take my word for it. this block heater was 350 and its a nice peace of mind..

I looked at that one as well. I thought it was more than 350.

Don't you have to hard mount that thing to the engine compartment wall?

I considered skiing all winter, but after playing golf in 48 degree weather this weekend, I'm glad I decided against it. I'm just too old for the cold. I'm even debating skipping the snow skiing this year. Having enough fun playing hockey and riding my dirtbike right now.

Archimedes
11-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Rod,
Do you think one night (actually about 6 hours) of 32 degree temp is going to blow a block? I've got my boat in a barn with no heat...not winterized...:confused:

Are you at least draining your block?

Even here in NorCal, I would be concerned if I were you. At least drain the block and drop a light bulb in there.

rodltg2
11-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Rod, where did you buy it? Which size did you get?

i bought it at west marine. i just set it on the floor under the engine. took some wigglin around to get in there. it ahs a built in thermostat and it wont even kick on till it gets below 45 in the compartment. so i don think it will turn on that often here.

H20skeefreek
11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Cool, I just wanted to make sure that you got it at West Marine, because west has the best price on that brand.

DanC
11-29-2006, 12:31 PM
20 years of keeping a ski boat in an open sided carport attached to the side of the house in Carmichael, (for you non-Californians, that is a couple miles from Granite Bay) no heaters, no light bulbs. Never did a thing to winterize, never had a problem. Never skipped more than one month of running the boat in the water until I left for college.

rodltg2
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
i never used to winterize or do anything either, but i guess i'm getting paraniod with age..

M-Funf
11-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Are you at least draining your block?

Even here in NorCal, I would be concerned if I were you. At least drain the block and drop a light bulb in there.

Nope. I put a bunch of dryer sheets inside, but that's about it...haven't had any problems in the 5 seasons I've owned it...

Sodar
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
i never used to winterize or do anything either, but i guess i'm getting paraniod with age..

I am the same way... I have never second guessed leaving the boat untouched out at the lakehouse in the desert. This year however, I put the same heater you bought in the engine compartment and drained the block. I think it is all these members who live in FRIGID temperatures that get the paranoia going for all us mild-climate guys!!