PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires defective?

madmax
11-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Hello guys,
I have a single axle trailer for my X-7 2006, the tires have small bumps on the side, is it normal or is it defective and has a risk of blowing on the road? My dealer offered me a replacement covered by warranty but requires I jack the trailer (with the boat on it), bring him the wheels, etc... What would you suggest?

sanjuan23
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Take Him the Trailer Have Him Jack it Up and Have him replace the tires.:rant:

Monte
11-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Take Him the Trailer Have Him Jack it Up and Have him replace the tires.:rant:

I agree with sanjuan23

Sodar
11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Hello guys,
I have a single axle trailer for my X-7 2006, the tires have small bumps on the side, is it normal or is it defective and has a risk of blowing on the road? My dealer offered me a replacement covered by warranty but requires I jack the trailer (with the boat on it), bring him the wheels, etc... What would you suggest?

Depending on how far away the dealer is, I would drive it to him or, if it is a reasonable distance, I would jack the trailer up and get him those tires ASAP! I would be scared that those bulges are sure sign of a blowout

sanjuan23
11-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Although the more I think about this I dont know that I would be pulling my boat back to the dealer if the tires were buldging on the side so I might understand where the dealer is trying to CYA or CHA in this situation but still sounds a bit shady to me.

madmax
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks fellows,
I think I will bring him the wheels and tires (he just received them). he is 20 km away but it'll be a pain to get the boat out of the garage where it is stored.

trickskier
11-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Small dimples in the sidewall are common. However, if it is a large bulge, that is sidewall seperation and is a serious condition. If the dealer is willing to give you new tires TAKE THEM. Monitor your air pressure. Under inflated tires create heat and cause tire failure.

TMCNo1
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Small dimples in the sidewall are common. However, if it is a large bulge, that is sidewall seperation and is a serious condition. If the dealer is willing to give you new tires TAKE THEM. Monitor your air pressure. Under inflated tires create heat and cause tire failure.

I would imagine your dealer thinks you have a tire problem too and would rather you take off the tires/wheels and bring them to him to replace, rather than risk a blowout and damage your new boat and or trailer. Just do it and get it over with ASAP and quit farting around!

TMCNo1
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Slow site today, double post, sorry!

madmax
11-28-2006, 02:26 PM

You are right, it is 2 small bulging lateral to the tire ~1 inch wide and all height, on both tires. Seems benign but I will take them to the dealer anyway, to be safe.
Thanks again.

Chief
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Usually it's the trailer that's defective. :) :)

madmax
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
And probably the boat also,no?

trickskier
11-28-2006, 02:46 PM
You are right, it is 2 small bulging lateral to the tire ~1 inch wide and all height, on both tires. Seems benign but I will take them to the dealer anyway, to be safe.
Thanks again.

Sounds like the same thing I have on my trailer tires. I am not at all impressed with these Goodyear Marathon Trailer Tires. Everyone I have had has failed within 3 years. I am going to replace mine with a good passenger car tire before next season.

Sodar
11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds like the same thing I have on my trailer tires. I am not at all impressed with these Goodyear Marathon Trailer Tires. Everyone I have had has failed within 3 years. I am going to replace mine with a good passenger car tire before next season.

I would have to argue on this point... Marathons are the best you are going to find.

east tx skier
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
I've had a knot in a truck tire before. I didn't know what it was and didn't worry with it (I was young). When it blew out, it was a nasty one. Glad it wasn't on my boat trailer.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Next time spend the extra money and get the tandem trailer.

Sodar
11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Next time spend the extra money and get the tandem trailer.

Good to see I have a fellow believer!! I can not believe that anyone uses a single axle trailer. On the West Coast everything is on a tandem... I do not know the reason, possibly because everyone tows further. Needless to say that the added insurance has gotten me home safely more than once!!

Jerseydave
11-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Some tires will show a slight "dip" in the sidewall, called sidewall undulation. This is where the rubber is "spliced" together before it comes out of the mold. Slight is normal, however if it is greatly pronounced you should get your MC dealer or a Goodyear dealer to replace them.

An "outward bulge" is a sign of a problem, ply seperation, and should be replaced under waranty.

When I use to run a goodyear store, we would replace anything that was questionable that the customer wasn't comfortable with, especially a newer tire.

Goodyear marathons are one of the best, if not THE best trailer tire out there. Regular passenger tires do not have the stiffer sidewalls or the load rating required to handle the weight of your boat/trailer combo. Never put passenger tires on your pride and joy.

jraben8
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
For better or worse Marathons are the best and yes, they should last longer than that. I had one develop a bulge last Sept but it was OEM on a '99 trailer so it was due.

There is one other brand that starts with a 'C' that don't last long at all. And when they start to bulge, EVACUATE!!!!!! Not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and it won't be long.

Sodar
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
For better or worse Marathons are the best and yes, they should last longer than that. I had one develop a bulge last Sept but it was OEM on a '99 trailer so it was due.

There is one other brand that starts with a 'C' that don't last long at all. And when they start to bulge, EVACUATE!!!!!! Not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and it won't be long.

Carlisle Tires <--- THE WORST!!!

My dad had these on his other brand trailer, had 3 blow outs in one 500 mile round trip and the tires were less than 6 months old!!

Ric
11-29-2006, 08:52 AM
I would have to argue on this point... Marathons are the best you are going to find. I think the sidewalls of my marathons on my cutting board trailer are bumpy. Not severely bumpy, but not smooth sided like my truck tires for sure :confused:

3event
11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Check out the attached bulletin from Goodyear regarding Marathon tires. If you trailer over 65mph, they recommend increasing pressure by 10psi. The existence of this bulletin suggests that there have been enough issues that required a response.

If you've got Marathons, make sure you are running at the proper pressure!

Sodar
11-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Check out the attached bulletin from Goodyear regarding Marathon tires. If you trailer over 65mph, they recommend increasing pressure by 10psi. The existence of this bulletin suggests that there have been enough issues that required a response.

If you've got Marathons, make sure you are running at the proper pressure!

I never tow over 55mph ;)... even though I got a damn speeding ticket this past weekend with the dirt bike trailer. Cop was just an @$$ too. He would not even tell me how fast I was going and when he handed me the ticket he handed it to me upside down and said "if you have any questions call the number." The guy said a total of 20 words the ENTIRE time!! I wonder how much a speeding ticket with a trailer is going to be... 76mph in a 55mph, I am sure it is going to hurt!

trickskier
11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
I would have to argue on this point... Marathons are the best you are going to find.

Any tire that is labeled "For Trailer Use Only" Does not have the same strength in the sidewalls as a passenger car tire. And I do have a Tandem Axle Trailer.

Sodar
11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Any tire that is labeled "For Trailer Use Only" Does not have the same strenght in the sidewalls as a passenger car tire. And I do have a Tandem Axle Trailer.

Actually, you are bassaackwards.... trailer tires on engineered with a STRONGER sidewall, due to the torque placed on the tires during turning and such.

3event
11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
My trailer is single axle. Boat stays in the lake all summer. Single axle is also more easily maneuverable in tight spots. And less expensive to replace rubber.

So if a Marathon tire can handle a 4000# rig, which means nearly 2000# per tire (less tongue load)....... how much per tire is your average passenger tire handling? Less than that. No way I am putting a passenger tire on a single axle trailer.

But when you run a tandem it's a different story, agreed.....

Ric
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I never tow over 55mph ;)... even though I got a damn speeding ticket this past weekend with the dirt bike trailer. Cop was just an @$$ too. He would not even tell me how fast I was going and when he handed me the ticket he handed it to me upside down and said "if you have any questions call the number." The guy said a total of 20 words the ENTIRE time!! I wonder how much a speeding ticket with a trailer is going to be... 76mph in a 55mph, I am sure it is going to hurt! hundred bucks to the attorneys of that's yours this is mine will get you out of a ticket like that I'm betting that ticket will be around 450.00

trickskier
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Actually, you are bassaackwards.... trailer tires on engineered with a STRONGER sidewall, due to the torque placed on the tires during turning and such.

That's not what I've been told by tire mfgs......Need to do some research. All I can tell you is that every Maraton tire I've had, had sidewall seperation.

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 10:17 AM
hundred bucks to the attorneys of that's yours this is mine will get you out of a ticket like that I'm betting that ticket will be around 450.00

Speaking of tickets. Ric, you ever used David Sprecher in Houston. If you ever get a ticket, don't call anyone but him. He's the best. No defensive driving. No plea bargains. You either walk or you pay the ticket. In using him several times, I've never paid a ticket.

Sodar
11-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Speaking of tickets. Ric, you ever used David Sprecher in Houston. If you ever get a ticket, don't call anyone but him. He's the best. No defensive driving. No plea bargains. You either walk or you pay the ticket. In using him several times, I've never paid a ticket.

I wonder if they have lawyers like this in Pr!ckafornia! I also got the ticket about 250 miles from my house, which means my notice to appear is way out there! Does anyone know if I need to appear, if I hire a lawyer?

Ric
11-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Speaking of tickets. Ric, you ever used David Sprecher in Houston. If you ever get a ticket, don't call anyone but him. He's the best. No defensive driving. No plea bargains. You either walk or you pay the ticket. In using him several times, I've never paid a ticket. luckily I have not needed him but I have his info saved from you on the last police beating I took;)

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I wonder if they have lawyers like this in Pr!ckafornia! I also got the ticket about 250 miles from my house, which means my notice to appear is way out there! Does anyone know if I need to appear, if I hire a lawyer?

From experience on the client side of the equation, the answer is that it depends. With the guy I mentioned to Ric, you always had to appear as he used it as leverage to get them to drop the case, i.e., you were going to take them to trial and it was going to cut into the court's time on the links.

From prior experiences with other lawyers, I didn't need to appear. I know now that that is because I didn't need a lawyer as they weren't doing anything I couldn't have done myself as a broke, lead-footed college student, i.e., defensive driving or deferred adjudication.

As I was subsequently advised by counsel, there's a good chance of your ins. rates going up if you take defensive driving to get rid of a ticket. The ins. company may not see that you got a ticket, but they instinctively know you did something.

In the past couple of years, I have been pulled over twice for excessive speed. Both times I have been let off with a warning because "I can't give you a ticket and ruin this perfect driving record you have maintained for the last ten years."

There's a lot to be said for fighting tickets.

Sodar
11-29-2006, 12:17 PM
From experience on the client side of the equation, the answer is that it depends. With the guy I mentioned to Ric, you always had to appear as he used it as leverage to get them to drop the case, i.e., you were going to take them to trial and it was going to cut into the court's time on the links.

From prior experiences with other lawyers, I didn't need to appear. I know now that that is because I didn't need a lawyer as they weren't doing anything I couldn't have done myself as a broke, lead-footed college student, i.e., defensive driving or deferred adjudication.

As I was subsequently advised by counsel, there's a good chance of your ins. rates going up if you take defensive driving to get rid of a ticket. The ins. company may not see that you got a ticket, but they instinctively know you did something.

In the past couple of years, I have been pulled over twice for excessive speed. Both times I have been let off with a warning because "I can't give you a ticket and ruin this perfect driving record you have maintained for the last ten years."

There's a lot to be said for fighting tickets.

I was going to pay it and go to Driving School to keep it off my record. I have a perfect driving record, up to now. I am just worried about the cost and finding the time to go to traffic school. Whole thing pissed me off though, I threw him the firefighter badge and everything, but he decided to be a dick about it!!

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Do they do deferred adjudication in CA? That's always the way I like to handle it if possible. Just be good for x months and don't get any tickets. Pay a little more and don't have to do defensive driving.

Sodar
11-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Do they do deferred adjudication in CA? That's always the way I like to handle it if possible. Just be good for x months and don't get any tickets. Pay a little more and don't have to do defensive driving.

I wish... here you can go to driving school every 18 months. Driving school is 8 hours and done at the courthouse in the jurisdiction which the citation was written. So Either I pay it, and go out to traffic school 250 miles from my house or I fight it and drive out there, risking the chance of needing to go back out again for traffic school or an actual trial.

Ric
11-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I wish... here you can go to driving school every 18 months. Driving school is 8 hours and done at the courthouse in the jurisdiction which the citation was written. So Either I pay it, and go out to traffic school 250 miles from my house or I fight it and drive out there, risking the chance of needing to go back out again for traffic school or an actual trial. check on that deferred adjudacation thing cameron. it'd be perfect since it's so far from home, you can simply stay out of that county during that deferral

Sodar
11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
I just got off the phone with my buddies dad, he is a lawyer in this great state! He said that the deferred adjudication is not written in California Law... any Californian's have any experience with this?

Ric
11-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I just got off the phone with my buddies dad, he is a lawyer in this great state! He said that the deferred adjudication is not written in California Law... any Californian's have any experience with this? well certain counties in TX don't offer it either.. something about "revenue"

PendO
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Sodar - you are under 25 ... if it were me I would fight the ticket or get it switched to a different violation, I once got my brothers speeding ticket on a motorcycle reduced to no-seatbelt on passenger ... around here if you can get ahold of the attorney for the city/county that handles the "contested docket" they are usually willing to give you one "switch" every 5 years ... they will leave the fine the same ammount but change the violation to something non-moving ... if you stay with the same insurance company then they will never see the "non-moving" but if you switch to a new insurer they will ask that you disclose all violations.

The advantaget to the city/county is they still get the revenue and don't have to waste time at court or prepping, and you don't get a moving violation

Monte
11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Not sure how the laws work there, but here in NC there is a one time Prayer for Judgement PJC that will keep the points off your insurance and license, as long as you keep a clean driving record for the next three years. Basically you are pleading guilty without ever having to step foot in the courtroom by taking a class, but if you get another ticket within the next three years all points will show up. If you simply get it reduced it may become a waivable ticket anyway as far as ins is concerned, but the same holds true for future tickets. Points will become active if you get another... My advice is to call your ins agent there and find out which is better for you situation.. Then contact the atty. if needed... In my experience attnys don't always know exactly how the points system works, what is waivable, and what is not... However in the attnys' defense youd be amazed how many folks "forget" those tickets they got last year, and think just because they don't tell me about it the're gonna slip by without being charged points.. The company WILL find out.... I'm sure attny's get the same forgetful folks on a regular basis...

Sodar
11-29-2006, 01:03 PM
OK! I just talked to my Dad. He said that if I go to traffic school, no points show on my record as long as I do not get another one in 18 months. If I do get another in 18 months, I can go in front of the judge and ask for "second offender" traffic school, if I am granted I will not get any points on my insurance. Talking with my buddies dad, he got a ticket towing a trailer and it was $650 for 80 in a 55... he said it was substantially more because the vehicle was considered commercial, because he used it for his business and that the whole rig weighed over 10,000lbs, making it an additional violation. I think it is safe to say that I will probably be fined $500, plus the traffic school processing fee, plus the traffic school tuition. Guess this teaches me my lesson, not to speed out to the river :(

trickskier
11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
OK, check out this website for trailer tires vs passenger car tires. While it does say that the sidewalls on trailer tires are stiffer to prevent swaying, I'm not convinced the sidewalls are actually stronger. Especially since I (and many others on this forum) have experienced sidewall seperation. I also found another interesting fact about Goodyear Marathons.....they're made in China. OBTW, I have a compressor in my garage and I always check my tire pressures before any trip to the lake.

www.easternmarine.com/em_store/tech_info/trailertires_tech_info.html

Sodar
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
OK, check out this website for trailer tires vs passenger car tires. While it does say that the sidewalls on trailer tires are stiffer to prevent swaying, I'm not convinced the sidewalls are actually stronger. Especially since I (and many others on this forum) have experienced sidewall seperation. I also found another interesting fact about Goodyear Marathons.....they're made in China. OBTW, I have a compressor in my garage and I always check my tire pressures before any trip to the lake.

www.easternmarine.com/em_store/tech_info/trailertires_tech_info.html

Point taken... to each his own! I have had good luck with Marathons and know many who also have had good luck with them.

Eastern Trailer carries a full line of nylon bias ply trailer tires. These 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires have been constructed for better high speed durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads. Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems. The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) or 'Light Truck (LT) tires a on a trailer is not recommended because their construction, usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. This could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control.

Ric
11-30-2006, 04:26 PM
ok, could trailer tire separation be more common in trailers due to the amount of their life they spend at rest?

Sodar
11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
ok, could trailer tire separation be more common in trailers due to the amount of their life they spend at rest?

I would seriously think so! I have gotten 5,000+ miles on two different sets of tires, but I have heard of people who use their trailers once a year who have had blowouts on 6 month old tires!

WakePowell
11-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I went to winterize my boat this past weekend and found that my right rear trailer tire had gone flat. I removed the tire and expected to find a nail or screw but was surprised to see that the tire had the belting blow through the tread section. Goodyear replaced it under warranty (credit for the remaining tread life) but I am nervous about the remaining tires. Has anyone else had the belting separate on a Goodyear Marathon?

TMCNo1
11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
FWIW, our first boat trailer in 1978 with trailer tires blew a tire 2 months after purchase and I have purchased and ran passanger car tires ever since. Current set of Mastercraft on the '89 are P22570R15 on 15" X 8" wide rims, run @ 44psi cold and checked every month and check every stop on a trip. I check the tire temps with a infared temp sensor and they normally show around 180 degrees when I stop. These tires have over 6200 mostly interstate 70 mph miles including 3 trips to Vonore (780+miles ea.) and 3 to Georgia (850+miles ea.).The only damage I have ever received in 28 years was in 2000 on a trip to Cypress Gardens, when I hit a series of big potholes on a ramp from I-26 to I-95. The SC DOT admitted they had a problem with their concrete in that part of the highway, had been patching it with asphalt that wouldn't stay in the potholes and paid for the tire.
The key to trailer tires is constant monitoring of pressures, temps, condition and keeping the tires covered with a good protectant to keep them from dryrotting and getting them off the ground during winter layup.

TOO-TALL
11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Carlisle Tires <--- THE WORST!!!

My dad had these on his other brand trailer, had 3 blow outs in one 500 mile round trip and the tires were less than 6 months old!!

I'll second that Carlisle suck!!!!!!!!!
I had two blowouts on the way to the lake.The tread looked great but the sidewall blewout.It looked like a grapefruit sticking out of the side wall before it blew.

trickskier
11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I would seriously think so! I have gotten 5,000+ miles on two different sets of tires, but I have heard of people who use their trailers once a year who have had blowouts on 6 month old tires!
I would almost bet those tires were under inflated.

atlfootr
11-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I would almost bet those tires were underinflated.Probably true, as w/ any common tire defect.
But, to add my :twocents: GOODYEARS ROCK~

mash
11-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I'll second that Carlisle suck!!!!!!!!!
I had two blowouts on the way to the lake.The tread looked great but the sidewall blewout.It looked like a grapefruit sticking out of the side wall before it blew.

I've got three boating buddies that have had blow outs with carlisle tires. One was on a year old tandom axle trailer. Stay away from them!

Sodar
11-30-2006, 10:33 PM
I would almost bet those tires were under inflated.

Yeah, it is pretty easy to forget about it, when you do not use yoyr trailer on a regular basis!

mash
11-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I've had very good luck with Marathon's, know of friends with bad luck with Carlisle, but I'd rather have the Carlisle's on my trailer than passenger car tires!

Ric
12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
put me on the carlisle blowout list (actually I had a carlisle lose the tread at about 70mph oustide of ElginTX and these people in the next car were frantically waving at me like I was John Candy !)
I had no idea the age of the Carlisle tire, but the tread beat the hell out of my supra trailer by the time I got her pulled over... NO MAS'

h20_skidog
12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
FWIW, our first boat trailer in 1978 with trailer tires blew a tire 2 months after purchase and I have purchased and ran passanger car tires ever since. Current set of Mastercraft on the '89 are P22570R15 on 15" X 8" wide rims, run @ 44psi cold and checked every month and check every stop on a trip. I check the tire temps with a infared temp sensor and they normally show around 180 degrees when I stop. These tires have over 6200 mostly interstate 70 mph miles including 3 trips to Vonore (780+miles ea.) and 3 to Georgia (850+miles ea.).The only damage I have ever received in 28 years was in 2000 on a trip to Cypress Gardens, when I hit a series of big potholes on a ramp from I-26 to I-95. The SC DOT admitted they had a problem with their concrete in that part of the highway, had been patching it with asphalt that wouldn't stay in the potholes and paid for the tire.
The key to trailer tires is constant monitoring of pressures, temps, condition and keeping the tires covered with a good protectant to keep them from dryrotting and getting them off the ground during winter layup.

In regards to "The key to trailer tires... ...and getting them off the ground during winter layup" do you also let some air out of the tires?

costal190
12-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I just changed a set of Marathon tires on my single axle 95 trailer (originals) and went back with the same thing. Ther have done me well :) I keep my tires pumped up with dry nitrogen which is an innert gas that doesn't expand and contract due to heat and weather conditions.

Ric
12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I just changed a set of Marathon tires on my single axle 95 trailer (originals) and went back with the same thing. Ther have done me well :) I keep my tires pumped up with dry nitrogen which is an innert gas that doesn't expand and contract due to heat and weather conditions. WHUT?

TMCNo1
12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
In regards to "The key to trailer tires... ...and getting them off the ground during winter layup" do you also let some air out of the tires?
Yes, but not too much in case it would need to be dropped and moved in a hurry for some reason. I usually place bottle jacks under the trailer frame, both sides and a jackstand under the tongue to take the weight off the springs and the trailer jack.

TOO-TALL
12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Yes, but not too much in case it would need to be dropped and moved in a hurry for some reason. I usually place bottle jacks under the trailer frame, both sides and a jackstand under the tongue to take the weight off the springs and the trailer jack.

Jacking up the boat over winter storage is a great idea.I've done it with all the boats I've owned.Also alot of people leave there boats in the driveway over the summer if you do this cover the tires with something the sun is very harmfull to tires.

madmax
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Hello guys,
Just to let you know that I followed your advice and got these tires replaced by the dealer last saturday and it was done in a few minutes. No more headaches.
Thanks again.

Sodar
12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Good to hear Max! It is always nice to have less to worry about!!

André
12-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Is Desjardins Marine your dealer?

Ric
12-05-2006, 06:58 PM
looks like the newer marathons are a bit different than before, and they say "scuff protection" on them or something like that

Sodar
12-05-2006, 08:23 PM
looks like the newer marathons are a bit different than before, and they say "scuff protection" on them or something like that
Is this speaking from experience!?!?! Indicating that you have your new trailer now?

Ric
12-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Yep .

madmax
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Is Desjardins Marine your dealer?
Exact, André.