PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Magnets

LakePirate
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
OK so for the christmas wish list I am looking at throwing some magnets on it. We have pre-gates on our course, do you need to put magnets on the pre-gates? Depending on price I am looking at the slalom 2 magnets from skier to skier. Anybody have any experience with them? I want to get a strong enough magnet that there are no issues with any timing devices and want to run them a bit deep due to the wally factor.

88 PS190
11-27-2006, 10:12 PM
make sure to put the polarity facig in the same direction.

I don't think you put magnets in the pregates... but i'm really not sure!

I think you just do entry and exit gates, then you can do extras at 1-6 ball...

more = better but you probably won't need it.

Hoosier Bob
11-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Accuski or PP? I have a Y cable and twin pickups for Accuski! What this means is you only need mags on one side of the course!
PM me!:D OK so for the christmas wish list I am looking at throwing some magnets on it. We have pre-gates on our course, do you need to put magnets on the pre-gates? Depending on price I am looking at the slalom 2 magnets from skier to skier. Anybody have any experience with them? I want to get a strong enough magnet that there are no issues with any timing devices and want to run them a bit deep due to the wally factor.

rodltg2
11-27-2006, 10:56 PM
i bought the mags from skiertoskier and they work great although my portable course doesnt get used often. you only need the mags on both sides of the gates, 1 on left side 3 ball boat guides & 1 on 4ball ( 3 ball going back thru). unless you want abt which you dont really need. no mags on the pre gates. pres gates were actaully designed for the boat to get a straight path into the gates, now most skiers have gotten so used them that we use them to judge our pull out..

rodltg2
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
heres is a sloppy layout of the set up.. purple squares is whrer you put the magnets...

more is not better since PP is setup to pick them up at these points. unless you set it up for abt . in that case you need them at every ball.

Flatwaterfooter
11-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Please educate me. What do the magnets do for you.

pilot02
11-28-2006, 08:59 AM
We have the S-1's in our permanent course and I think I have the same on my portable. They work fine with all timer's at shallower depths but no so good with Accuski at deeper depths (More than 2' or 2.5' below the surface) The S-2's should work fine with anything. Which course are you putting this one? The one in the tight cove?? I don't remember it having pre-gates.

PS: I still have that solenoid of yours.....

LakePirate
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Yep the one in the tight cove. My Brother was talking to Alabama Power and they think it is pretty cool that it is there so I am looking to make some improvements. For some reason I think it has one more set of bouys than your portable. I could be wrong.

pilot02
11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Cool! I'm almost positive it didn't have pre-gates.
Our course does. Maybe we need to get down there and ski it.... Wish I could go this weekend but will be in LA.

LakePirate
11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I would love to as well....but you can't get to it. Lake is down too far for that. I am going down there for the rest of the week and will try to get the 'toon over there and see for certain.

G-man
11-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Please educate me. What do the magnets do for you.

The magnets are used for timing, split times and total time. From this information you can deterimine if speeds are correct and make adjustments.

LakePirate
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
To continue with G-Man's explanation, if you have Perfect Pass or accuski with the smart timer magnet sensor it can pick up the magnets in the water. The magnets are spaced out in accordance with the buoys (see Rod's pic) PP knows the distance as it is the constant. PP then times the distances between the magnets to determine the correct RPMs to operate the engine so that the correct and accurate speed is achieved. Please correct me if this is not right, I know some on here have studied the manual like the bible, or I may just be off my rocker.

G-man
11-28-2006, 11:30 AM
The timing information does not change the rpms thoughout the course, only the skier pulling on the boat adjust the rpms. After the run when you look at the timing you can adjust the baseline rpms for that speed. You can further fine tune the timing with KX-PX-unwind-downwind adjustments also

Flatwaterfooter
11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Ahh I see now. I do not have perfect pass so thats where I was confused. Only run the course a few times a year in the past, but we got a new permit that will allow us to leave it in this coming season. May need to look towards PP. thanks

Ric
11-28-2006, 12:20 PM
The timing information does not change the rpms thoughout the course, only the skier pulling on the boat adjust the rpms. After the run when you look at the timing you can adjust the baseline rpms for that speed. You can further fine tune the timing with KX-PX-unwind-downwind adjustments also actually pp does adjust rpms somewhat based on the first segment time
eastie and I dug into this because I thought the magnets were integral in pp's rpm controls but it turns out that this is only true mid course if the first segment looks to be fast (or slow)

G-man
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I thought the timing your refering to would be second segment timing setting

Since I'm far from being a world class skier it hasn't had an effect on my bouy count.

Ric
11-28-2006, 01:49 PM
I thought the timing your refering to would be second segment timing setting

Since I'm far from being a world class skier it hasn't had an effect on my bouy count. yep that is the one. that setting refers to changes to be made based on the first segment time iirc. nope, cannot say I would feel the difference either

east tx skier
11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
The SSB is a present number. The 3ball magnet triggers this reduction to get even times. The other rpm change is the ramp up of 28% (or 22% I forget exactly) of skier weight when the smart timer detects the gate magnet.

But as has been mentioned. Perfect pass does not adjust to achieve better times. I does suggest reseting the baselines to achieve this at the end of the course though.

G-man
11-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Next I'll learn how to put in skiers names. It has only been a season with the new system, I don't want to rush into all the features. I know it's easy I just haven't done it. Let me put that down for winter boat project #3 after oil the platform

Ric
11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Next I'll learn how to put in skiers names. It has only been a season with the new system, I don't want to rush into all the features. I know it's easy I just haven't done it. Let me put that down for winter boat project #3 after oil the platform somebody find my platform and I will refinish it this winter!

rodltg2
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
best think to do is run it in tournament mode. then you can make small adjustments using the arrow keys without resetting the baselines. many variables like wind water temp etc. can effect times. i have my SSB set at 9/.. my boat is very dialed in right now although it takes while to do , it nice when it finally perfect. my tracking and times are dead on...

east tx skier
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Ric, did you get your trailer?

Ric
11-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Nooooooooooooo

east tx skier
11-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Silly question on my part.

G-man
11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Silly question on my part.

hit the nail on the head again

Ric
11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
feel my pain?

JohnE
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Can I ask another question regarding the magnets and perfect pass, which I plan to buy and install within the next month or so? The magnets are used to initially calibrate the system and also to adjust while skiing the course? So even say to use perfect pass for primarily skiing open water, you'd want to calibrate it using course magnets, right?

Thanks for any help.

John

#47of100TeamMC
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
A secondary question to go along with JohnE. How different of a pull does the skier feel if you just use the Wakeboard speed mode for slaloming vs. the RPM based slalom mode on PP? Does wakeboard mode try to compensate too much for a pull that slows down the boat? where RPM mode just keeps the RPM's constant and not worrying about the speed? Anyone have any profound thoughts on this?

G-man
12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Can I ask another question regarding the magnets and perfect pass, which I plan to buy and install within the next month or so? The magnets are used to initially calibrate the system and also to adjust while skiing the course? So even say to use perfect pass for primarily skiing open water, you'd want to calibrate it using course magnets, right?

Thanks for any help.

John

A secondary question to go along with JohnE. How different of a pull does the skier feel if you just use the Wakeboard speed mode for slaloming vs. the RPM based slalom mode on PP? Does wakeboard mode try to compensate too much for a pull that slows down the boat? where RPM mode just keeps the RPM's constant and not worrying about the speed? Anyone have any profound thoughts on this?

Calibrating on a course is very accurate but using a gps for open water should be close enough.

using wakeboard pro in speed mode for skiing above 24 mph is not reccommended by perfect pass. Why not just put it in rpm mode? Would an open water skier notice? I doubt it

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Speed mode is way too jerky for slalom IMO. RPM mode is great, but you have to remember what baseline = what speed and then compensate for skier weight and crew weight without the assistance of perfect pass.

In slalom mode in open water, you need to add a few rpms for 28% (or maybe its 22% of skier weight on top of the baseline as without a magnet to trigger perfect pass, it won't ramp up to 100% of baseline.

Or, you could just do as george suggests. Keep a portable gps on board and adjust the baseline on the fly in rpm mode to nail the speed.

But, yes, calibrate it in the course first. It will make it easier to get what you want in open water. Not that it has to be so precise, but it's nice when it is.

Ric
12-13-2006, 10:24 AM
we ran my digital pro in open water in slalom mode and there was alot of slack time for me in the turns... I felt like it was perfect pass doing something weird and switched to rpm mode... it was more to my liking. to be fair, I'm bad at judging open water... I may have been pulling for the bouy longer or wider since there were no bouys, I don't know. I do know that rpm mode is the way I run slalom outside of a course now! yes, calibrate it to the course first

JohnE
12-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's hard to understand perfect pass when you've never seen or used it. As I said I do plan to buy it soon.

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
we ran my digital pro in open water in slalom mode and there was alot of slack time for me in the turns... I felt like it was perfect pass doing something weird and switched to rpm mode... it was more to my liking. to be fair, I'm bad at judging open water... I may have been pulling for the bouy longer or wider since there were no bouys, I don't know. I do know that rpm mode is the way I run slalom outside of a course now! yes, calibrate it to the course first

Out of curiosity, when you ran it in slalom mode, did you add a couple of rpms for 28% of your weight? They have that nifty rpm factor in 6.5n.

Ric
12-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Out of curiosity, when you ran it in slalom mode, did you add a couple of rpms for 28% of your weight? They have that nifty rpm factor in 6.5n. no I did not do that. I am not sure what version I was running in the 190 but when it acted funny, I dropped, got the driver to switch to rpms and went on skiing

Ric
12-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's hard to understand perfect pass when you've never seen or used it. As I said I do plan to buy it soon. it's the nutz .

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
no I did not do that. I am not sure what version I was running in the 190 but when it acted funny, I dropped, got the driver to switch to rpms and went on skiing

I had the same thing happen running 6.4 in open water in slalom mode. 6.5n/ng was different in that respect.

Slinkyredfoot
12-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi-Tech, we just used to kick our skis off and have fun at 36 mph with 9% body fat

east tx skier
12-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Then we got married and made a sport about arguing with our driver. Then they invented perfect pass, and all was right with the world. :)

JohnE
12-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Then we got married and made a sport about arguing with our driver.

Been there.

Then they invented perfect pass, and all was right with the world. :)
Hope to be here.

phecksel
12-14-2006, 11:34 AM
make sure to put the polarity facig in the same direction.

I don't think you put magnets in the pregates... but i'm really not sure!

I think you just do entry and exit gates, then you can do extras at 1-6 ball...

more = better but you probably won't need it.

Is the polarity rally important? Isn't it just a hall effect pickup?

east tx skier
12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Both side entry and exit gates and on the three ball boat guide(whichever side the pickup is on) each direction, that is, the three ball going one way is not the three ball going the other way.