PDA

View Full Version : (Another) prop recommendation?

JohnE
11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Anyone willing to give some advice for a new prop for my '88 tristar 1:1?

I searched the forum for prop advice the other day for at least an hour, and found lots of good info. What I remember is that a certain acme (I forget the number - 5...) was highly recommended, especially for increased pull for deep water starts. I didn't bookmark the informative posts, unfortunately.

I basically bought this boat last winter and did nothing but use it this summer. The prop that came with it is a 14x18 federal, which I realize now is the wrong prop.

I did pm one of the dealers on this site and am waiting for a reply. I would appreciate any other advice, though.

Thanks in advance.

John

6ballsisall
11-27-2006, 08:51 PM
The prop you are referring to is the Acme 541. Hands down I'd recommend that for your application. Great prop!!

JohnE
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks, J.

east tx skier
11-27-2006, 08:58 PM
John, I did a comparison of the 541 with OJ's 13x12 XMP that is linked in the Frequently Asked Questions thread linked in my signature. It might be helpful.

TMCNo1
11-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Talk to Bill Weeks at Acme Props or Eric at O.J. Props and give them the boat year, model, engine size, transmission and get their opinion. Are you the owner asking about engine rpm and speed a week or so back on a Tristar?

BrianM
11-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Ditto above. Either the Ace 541 or OJ 13x12 XMP.

JohnE
11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Doug,

Thank you. I did read that thread and it was helpful. What I took from it is that for my use, the differences are negligible. One comment from one of my reads is the increased "holeshot" for the deepwater slalom starts with a certain model and size acme. From jrandol I believe it's the 541. I can't believe I didn't save what I read. I guess I thought I'd remember wich threads had the info.

John

6ballsisall
11-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I can't believe I didn't save what I read. I guess I thought I'd remember wich threads had the info.

John

This board tends to move fast with new threads and buries the older ones! However, its been a little slow lately............

JohnE
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Talk to Bill Weeks at Acme Props or Eric at O.J. Props and give them the boat year, model, engine size, transmission and get their opinion. Are you the owner asking about engine rpm and speed a week or so back on a Tristar?

Do you have contact info for Bill? And no, that wasn't me with the other questions. Thanks for the reply.

John

TMCNo1
11-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Do you have contact info for Bill? And no, that wasn't me with the other questions. Thanks for the reply.

John
Acme Propellers, Acme Marine Group, 1-888-661-2263 or www.acmemarine.com

JohnE
11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks again TMC.

Amazing how quick you get answers here.

east tx skier
11-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Doug,

Thank you. I did read that thread and it was helpful. What I took from it is that for my use, the differences are negligible. One comment from one of my reads is the increased "holeshot" for the deepwater slalom starts with a certain model and size acme. From jrandol I believe it's the 541. I can't believe I didn't save what I read. I guess I thought I'd remember wich threads had the info.

John

John, the one I have is the 541. There is a 543, which has less pitch (11.5 IIRC) and will give you a bit more hole shot. However, you will sacrifice a little top end with that one and there is a potential for overreving the engine from what I'm told.

JohnE
11-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Doug,

Thanks again.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer I mentioned.

It sounds like I'll be going with the 541. I have a call into Bill @ acme as I'd like his recommendation.

John

Jerseydave
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM
JohnE,

If I'm not mistaken, a 14X18 prop is for a powerslot trans., usually bigger shaft size too. (1 1/4 vs. 1" shaft)

Just curious, how did your boat run with that prop? What top speed @ what RPM? (I'm guessing you never even hit 4000 RPM and a real dog out of the hole..........am I close?)

André
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
JohnE,

If I'm not mistaken, a 14X18 prop is for a powerslot trans., usually bigger shaft size too. (1 1/4 vs. 1" shaft)

Just curious, how did your boat run with that prop? What top speed @ what RPM? (I'm guessing you never even hit 4000 RPM and a real dog out of the hole..........am I close?)

I was reading all those replies from Doug ,JR ,TMC 1 and couldn't beleive nobody notice it before!
Good work njskier!
but the slot shaft is 1 and 1\8 "...;)
Something is wrong here,either the 1:1 or the 14 x 18 info...:confused:

TMCNo1
11-28-2006, 07:18 PM
I was reading all those replies from Doug ,JR ,TMC 1 and couldn't beleive nobody notice it before!
Good work njskier!
Noticed it, but he can be given info on what should be on the boat, rather that what is on it, if he gives a prop company the proper info on the boat. I picture this kinda like someone having just bought a used car with 4 different brands and 4 different size tires on it, go to the tire shop and have a set of the proper tires put on it!

Jerseydave
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Good work njskier!

Thanks! After I posted I though about the shaft size........I should have picked-up on that since my old '94 powerslot had that size shaft.

Threadjack.....someday it would be nice to have a DD for slalom/footing and a wakeboat for everything else! I loved my prostar!
(Ok, theadjack over :) )

JohnE
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
JohnE,

I didn't check shaft diameter, but I will. It is definitely a 14x18 federal prop engraved on the prop. Also engraved is "12_89". I have no idea what that is. Could it be the manufacture date?

There is no "scoop" in the hull, so I don't think it's a powerslot.

It did barley reach 4000 rpm, and reached over 40 mph, with speedo calibrated as best as I could by timing the course. It wasn't good out of the hole, but I thought originally it was just because I was comparing it to our '89 prostar with the slot.

Thanks NJ, you were very close. And I'm getting excited thinking about how improved the performance might be next season.

John

TMCNo1
11-28-2006, 07:50 PM
John[/QUOTE

12-89 is the date of manufacture, so the prop was put on sometime after the '88 year model boats went out of production in the fall of 1988. The boat definately didn't come off the assembly line with that particular prop on it!

JohnE
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
John[/QUOTE

12-89 is the date of manufacture, so the prop was put on sometime after the '88 year model boats went out of production in the fall of 1988. The boat definately didn't come off the assembly line with that particular prop on it!

FWIW, the nut and cotter pin which hold the prop on are new looking. The guy I bought it from only owned it for a few years, but did a lot of little things like work to the trailer, tower, stereo, etc. I'd bet he changed the prop if it was damaged when he bought it and didn't know enough to get the right size. He did say he bought it from the original owner, and it hadn't been used in some time. So it would make sense that prop might have been damaged.

mash
11-28-2006, 09:09 PM
While we're on the subject maybe someone could fill me in. My '93 205 has the 351 HO, 1:1. the manual calls for an Acme 13 x 13 cupped prop, which is what I have on the boat. My top end is around 43, but RPM's seemed low to me, closer to 4000 than the 4400 to 4600 I would have expected.

Is this normal?

JohnE
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
This thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11251&highlight=prop may show that info.

edit: See doug's post #17. Edit again: make that 12.

mash
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks JohnE,

I may need to check my Tach. Looks like 43 mph on that prop is a good speed.

jenglin
11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
JohnE
Do you sill have 14x18 prop? I am lookin for a spare b/c I have a 88 TriStar w/ the 1.51:1 power slot tranny w/ a 1 1/8 shaft. Let me know what you are wanting to do. thanks

JohnE
11-29-2006, 02:00 PM
JohnE
Do you sill have 14x18 prop? I am lookin for a spare b/c I have a 88 TriStar w/ the 1.51:1 power slot tranny w/ a 1 1/8 shaft. Let me know what you are wanting to do. thanks

I have a few spares as we have some left over from our '89 prostar. I'll check them all and send you one. You just pay for the shipping.

Tune into the next post.

JohnE
11-29-2006, 02:07 PM
So now I really feel stupid and have a lot more questions.

I go out to check shaft and it is a 1 1/8 diameter.

So scratching my head, I open hatch to look at hatch and find that it is a 1.52:1 !

So I'm wondering:

Why don't I have the "scoop" in the hull, as my prostar did?

If I have the powerslot, why doesn't it yank me out like the prostar? (No, I haven't gained 20 lbs)

Why does it barely reach 4000 rpm? Shouldn't it get to 4200 - 4400?

And most importantly, what would anyone's recommendation be now for a prop?

I also have 3 spare props from our '89 prostar. Don't even know what they are. Need to go to my father's house to see. Between those 3 and the one on the Tri, I'm gonna send one to Jenglin, as mentioned.

Any thoughts will be welcomed.

Thanks,

John

Edit: I know I should have known all this info already about my boat. But I bought it last January. This spring I had my marina look at it and he said it needs nothing. So I figured I'd use it and see how it went. It ran flawlessly, my only complaint being that it didn't have the yank of the prostar. Could it just be the prop plus additional surface area of the hull?

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
My best guess as to why your hull doesn't have the "slot" is that the extra clearance on the tristar hull is not necessary. Looking at the owners manual for 89, if you've got the slot, a 14x18 is the correct prop.

As for why you're not getting the 4,600 rpm at WOT as listed in the owner's manual, it might be something other than prop size/pitch. Have you checked the timing? Cleaned the flame arrestor? etc.?

JohnE
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
My best guess as to why your hull doesn't have the "slot" is that the extra clearance on the tristar hull is not necessary. Looking at the owners manual for 89, if you've got the slot, a 14x18 is the correct prop.

As for why you're not getting the 4,600 rpm at WOT as listed in the owner's manual, it might be something other than prop size/pitch. Have you checked the timing? Cleaned the flame arrestor? etc.?

Doug,

Thanks for the reply. Haven't done those things but brought it to my boat mechanic in april and asked him to look it over completely and do whatever it needs. He said it didn't need a thing. Now I don't know if he checked those things, but will look into it this spring.

Any recommendations on a new prop? What might I expect to gain from a new one? The one on it now is dinged a bit. I'd imagine the prop technology has changed a bit since '89.

Thanks again,

John

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Either Acme or OJ will get you set up.

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Either Acme or OJ will get you set up.

Be sure they send you one taht go in de wite diwection and it goes awound and awound and awound.

Jerseydave
11-29-2006, 05:12 PM
So now I really feel stupid and have a lot more questions.

I go out to check shaft and it is a 1 1/8 diameter.

So scratching my head, I open hatch to look at hatch and find that it is a 1.52:1 !

So I'm wondering:

Why don't I have the "scoop" in the hull, as my prostar did?

If I have the powerslot, why doesn't it yank me out like the prostar? (No, I haven't gained 20 lbs)

Why does it barely reach 4000 rpm? Shouldn't it get to 4200 - 4400?

And most importantly, what would anyone's recommendation be now for a prop?

I also have 3 spare props from our '89 prostar. Don't even know what they are. Need to go to my father's house to see. Between those 3 and the one on the Tri, I'm gonna send one to Jenglin, as mentioned.

Any thoughts will be welcomed.

Thanks,

John

Edit: I know I should have known all this info already about my boat. But I bought it last January. This spring I had my marina look at it and he said it needs nothing. So I figured I'd use it and see how it went. It ran flawlessly, my only complaint being that it didn't have the yank of the prostar. Could it just be the prop plus additional surface area of the hull?

Just a few guesses here:

1. Your engine may be down on power for one reason or another. Things to check would be (timing, spark arrestor, tune-up, make sure the secondaries are working on the carb. worn timing chain, low compression, etc.)
2. Your prop may need to be machined, balanced, etc.

What does the boat weigh vs. your old prostar? I bet it's heavier.
Also check you top speed with a GPS for accuracy if possible.

With some small improvements, your boat should run like a champ!
Good Luck!

east tx skier
11-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I think the manual said 2,400 lbs for the TriStar 190.

TMCNo1
11-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I think the manual said 2,400 lbs for the TriStar 190.

The ProStar 190 weighs 2200 lbs. so that's 200 difference, meaning that's 2 slimmies or 1 of Skidogs coolers full of beer, but there is a whole lot more wetted surface in the water.:rolleyes:

JohnE
11-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Just a few guesses here:

1. Your engine may be down on power for one reason or another. Things to check would be (timing, spark arrestor, tune-up, make sure the secondaries are working on the carb. worn timing chain, low compression, etc.)
2. Your prop may need to be machined, balanced, etc.

What does the boat weigh vs. your old prostar? I bet it's heavier.
Also check you top speed with a GPS for accuracy if possible.

With some small improvements, your boat should run like a champ!
Good Luck!

Thanks, I will check those items this spring. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the boat, with everything except the deepwater pull. And even that's perfectly fine, just not as strong as the prostar. It runs fantastic.

I guess reading info on this site has me searching for perfection. Reading about rpm @ WOT made me wonder why I was only reaching 4000 rpm.

I'm gonna buy an acme prop. I spoke to Bill @ acme and he recommended a 275 which is a 13.5 x 17.5 with .080 cup.

How are the handheld gps systems for checking speed? They are fairly inexpensive. I'd like to get one if anyone can vouch for them. I also plan to install perfect pass this winter, and am wondering if the handheld gps can be used to calibrate the gps.

Thanks for all the advice.

John

FrankSchwab
11-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Even the cheapest handheld GPS will give you highly accurate speed. What you give up with the cheapest ones are features (maps, etc), acquistion time (how long from the time you turn it on until it's ready), battery life, and ability to work in poor conditions (under trees, etc).

Older used garmin's (38, 45, III+) had a great reputation 5 years ago when I was interested in them, check out ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-GPS-38-Personal-Navigator_W0QQitemZ230057773267QQihZ013QQcategoryZ 34289QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

/frank

east tx skier
11-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Garmin etrex is what we use. Works like a charm and is waterproof. If you can get one used that works so much the better.

JohnE
11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Frank and Doug.

JohnE
12-02-2006, 04:53 PM
So now knowing I have the same trans as the prostar, I checked out my other 2 props. One is what I believe to be the original federal. The other is an OJ.

So can anyone give me a phone number for OJ. I was thinking I could sent the old one to them to be tuned, or balanced, or whatever they do. Would there be much to gain by doing this? Or should I just buy the new acme as I planned. Or both?

Thanks,

John

André
12-02-2006, 04:56 PM
http://www.ojprops.com/
http://www.acmemarine.com/html/faq.html
here you go...:)