PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Barefoot

airdrew99
11-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I would like to learn how to barefoot in the spring. I guess I should start by getting a barefoot boom. Can anyone give me so pointers on what I need to get started, and tips (how to start, speed, etc..)? None of the guys I ski with have ever done any barefootin'. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, can someone post some pictures of a boom attached to a Prostar?

rodltg2
11-26-2006, 06:52 PM
get a barefoot suit or say goodbye to all your shorts...

airdrew99
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Rod, Will a standard wet suit work? Thanks again for the Connelly F1. I skiied on it today.

Footin
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Do some searches on the subject. there has been alot of advice given.

I know last year someone wrote along post about how to get up.

Good luck!!!!!

Footin
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Rod, Will a standard wet suit work? Thanks again for the Connelly F1. I skiied on it today.

No!!! buy a barefoot suit. Your "boys" will thank you.

chudson
11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
What I am pasting on below I found on a similar posting as yours and Sporty put up a real good answer and it goes as follows:

Originally Posted by Sporty
Well while I'm not Scarpa, I have been footing a long time. The way I try to teach folks is with a simple but effective visual and demo instruction. First, I don't put my front foot in the binder when getting up. I simply set it on top of the binder, heel placed against the heel-piece. It will stay from the tug of the boat. Since I drag a foot anyway to get up, my rear foot is ready to set down when I so choose (looking for rollers )Once I'm up, I like to get a solid 37 - 38 MPH (me at 210 pounds). That works just fine. Too fast and you're skipping on the water. Find a good speed to plant your foot and not have it skipping at 41 - 42 MPH. I get just outside of the wake and set the rear foot down on the water getting ready to step off with the front foot. Here's the trick (and try it yourself tonight at home to see what I'm talking about); Bend the front foot knee (that is still on top of the binder). Bend it extra and while the rear foot is about to plant or possibly may already be on the water). Bending the knee of the front foot will extend the rear foot / leg out forward in front of you. Prior to bending the extra effort, the plant foot is more-or-less "under" you and not in front of you. Bend the front foot knee and you'll see the rear foot go forward, (in lieu of trying to hyperextend the rear leg and only throw you off balance and accomplish nothing). Once you're almost squatting (not literally but in a sense of figure) then plant the rear foot, throw your shoulders back (a slight tug on the rope) and lift (not step) the front foot and set it forward onto the water beside the other foot. At this point the ski is gone. Do all of this in one smooth motion and you'll be good to go. Done deal.

Now what you'll find is that you're probably drowning.. LOL... If so, you know your feet are where they are supposed to be. Leave them there (out in front of you so to speak) and raise your head, shoulders and your upper body upward to breath. This is actually allowing you to develope your balance as you stay up and get out of the spray. It won't be two or three more tries before you're stepping off, standing up out of the spray and enjoying the ride.... Trick is to bend the front foot knee but the "purpose" of this is to get the rear foot out front (and not under) before you plant.

If you're falling forward, the feet are not out front enough. If you're falling backwards, they are too far out.

For those that may want to try footing, that's the ticket. You may be rushing it a bit but honestly the smooth motion I described in stepping off is supposed to be a rush!! Just make it smooth and one continuous motion instead of several part motions to get on the water. I think by keeping the front foot on top of the binder it is much much less distracting and less maneauvers compared to getting the foot back out from the binder, out of the heel piece, and then forward to set the foot down. Barefooting is probably one of the easier things to learn in my opinion. I like to wear short pants (jump pants) so I can slide out on my rear when I'm done footing.

Just practice a mental process and you'll learn quickly on the water...

For the lighter guys and gals 34, 35, or 36 MPH is plenty. However I do like a hot speed to foot on one foot.... I do all of this on a long line. Booms are not my thing. Long line footing.... Nothing like it....It's the real thAng

fig8footer
11-27-2006, 11:13 AM
You definitelty will want a barefoot suit probably even padded shorts. I would recommend learning on a boom since it is the easiest and safest way. If you have the money learning at a ski school like ron scarpa or keith st onge would really speed up the learning curve and save your self some pain.

No Skeez
11-27-2006, 12:44 PM
AirDrew- A pretty accurate formula to use for two foot barefooting is to take your weight, divide by ten, and add 20. For example, a 200 pound skier would have a recommended speed of 40 mph. This again is just a recommendation. Each footer will have a preference as far as faster or slower than this, and as mentioned, one foots will require a bit more speed. If you are in the market for a barefoot suit, I would recommend the Helix V2 by Vortex. They are the best suits out there in my opinion, and I am quite pleased with the performance of mine! Good Luck!

Davo
11-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Like fig8 said, the boom is a lot less painful to learn on. You can basically hold yourself up on it and when you "fall" you can hang on and pull yourself back up into footing position. Yes it's cheating, but it will help you get the feel for footing and you can work on body position before you let the line out. Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7ZRycPTs0) of a guy just learning (second guy)....you can see he falls and pulls himself back up. Also, notice that the body position of the first guy is much better than the second.

If you don't have access to a boom, no sweat. You can still learn long line without too much consequence. I would suggest a kneeboard for learning rather than stepping off a ski like Sporty is describing. With a kneeboard you are already sitting in a squat position. I recommend that you steer it outside of the wake after popping up onto the surface...also, the kneeboard has a tendency to bounce a little when you're sitting on it if you don't have your weight balanced just right so gently placing your heels in the water prior to getting up to speed helps eliminate the bounce. At that point the driver should accelerate up to footing speed; dig your feet in using one steady motion and slowly stand up (but not too straight up!)...you basically want to stay in the squat position until you get the hang of it. Keep up posted on your progress and good luck!

Jerseydave
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I started on a kneeboard too, only because I didn't have a boom. Besides the boom, I feel it's the easiest way to learn.

I also wear padded shorts under my barefoot suit, and wear a cup as well. (you'll see)

You may want to try shoe skis first, just to get the feel for the body position. Plus you don't have to go as fast with them.

Most importantly, make sure you have nice, clean smooth water. (no debris) EArly mornings are the best.

Have fun walking on water! It's a blast and your buddies will envy you!