PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to wire tower lights

454Barefoot
11-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I was wondering if some of you could share your/best way to mount and wire tower lights. I was thinking about just getting a set of oval fog lights from the local auto parts store.

rodltg2
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
if you need to run wiring thru the tower, what i did was after drilling holes in the tubing was run a string in the first hole. then on the other end put a vacuum over the hole to suck the string down. then i tied the string onto the wires that needed to come thru...

tex
11-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Best way to wire...hire someone!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Make a hole for the "in" and a hole for the "out", depending on the size and quantity of wires you need. Clean the sharp edges off your new holes inside and out the best you can so you don't peel the insulation off the wires when pulling. You can use string or fishing line, and vacuum the line through. You may need to add a piece of tape to the end of the string to get it to move through the tubing better. Then use that line to pull your wires through.

Archimedes
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
I used bent wire hangers to run my light and speaker wires. The most difficult section was the lower section/thru hull on the starboard side. That was a major pita. The rest was easy.

Just make sure you mount the lights TIGHT to the tower.

Also, have an exact plan of how you're going to mount them before you drill and make sure you don't drill the holes or the bolts wont hold. Oh yeah, and make sure you get stainless hardware, of course.

454Barefoot
11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
whats the best way to actually do the wireing 1 ground 1 wire to the batt and 1 wire to the acc switch

Archimedes
11-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Don't know what boat your have, but there should be a ground point behind the kickplate under the helm that will be closer to the battery.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
whats the best way to actually do the wireing 1 ground 1 wire to the batt and 1 wire to the acc switch
How many lights, and how many watts each?

I'd power the lights from a relay. And without seeing what you are trying to accomplish, I'd also run a dedicated ground wire. I'd fuse the feed to the relay, and also fuse the feed to the tower. Do you have any spare taps in your panel?

peason
11-27-2006, 01:29 PM
When I wired my lights and speakers, I purchased a wiring harness from my Mastercraft dealer. Most likely more expensive, but made it real easy to install.

454Barefoot
11-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I am planning on just two lights not sure on the watts buts its just gonna be a conventional fog light from teh auto parts store. I have a '98 prostar with an aftermarket tower if that makes a difference. Could i get the wiring harness even tho prostars didnt come from the factory with a tower or lights

peason
11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
You might be better off getting wire at an autoparts store - length may be different. Also you will want a quick disconnect for any joint that bends in the tower. I can easily disconnect my lights and speakers when I fold my tower down, or if I ever want to remove it.

rem_pss308
11-28-2006, 04:40 AM
The tape and vacuum idea to get the wire in.
You can Ground the negative to the tower( I attached mine under the hull where the bolts came thru. and then run a hot wire to the lights them selves. You can ground the lights to the tower with the screws that attach them.

I used auto lights. ( 55 watts ) I would wire them with 10 gauge wire and use a fuse.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Don't forget to use a good waterproof connector at the hinge of the tower to make disconnecting it easy. There are good connectors, and bad ones, get the good ones with the snap clip and rubber seal all the way around.

DanC
12-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I installed two automotive driving lights, 55 watts each, 9.2 amps. Wired directly to an acc switch on the dash. The switches handle it just fine. I forget what they are rated for but they handle at least 15 amps with 20 amps peak (running ballast pumps off them for years).

DanC
12-01-2006, 01:23 PM
For the lighting connectors I just used a two pin version of the trailer light connector. Cheaper, smaller and easier to work with and corrosion is not a problem. I use three, one for the fog lights, one for the anchor light and one for a down facing LED "dome" light.
(For the speaker wires I used the fancy, waterproof 4 pin connector.)

Archimedes
12-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Don't forget to use a good waterproof connector at the hinge of the tower to make disconnecting it easy. There are good connectors, and bad ones, get the good ones with the snap clip and rubber seal all the way around.

I used Deutsch Connectors. Designed for harsh enviroments, particularly racing cars. A little over the top, but very nice.