PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit for trailers?

The Right Kind
11-26-2006, 01:04 PM
We have an '05 MC trailer (X-Star) that drags on the driveway approach.
Can the trailer be lifted say about 2-3"?

bigpack20
11-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I have the same trouble I would love to know if that could be done. I have 98 ps205

6ballsisall
11-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Does your trailer have Torsion or Sprung axles? My 03' X7 had torsion and no dice on the lift kit. Unless I wanted to go custom.....$$$

JohnnyB
11-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Your '05 trailer is pretty high already:eek: .....I would question raising it more as possibly making it a bit unstable. Has anyone out there lifted a newer 2003+ trailer...what was the result?

Also, caution on the end hight as the trailer is high already and if you've got a tower that fit in your garage before, raising it may be an issue..

The Right Kind
11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
The trailer has torsion suspension and is only 19" off the ground (bottom of frame). At first I thought maybe putting on larger rims might work, mine are 14", but I don't think I would get the clearance I need.
The small metal wheels at the back are what drag.
After I posted this I went out and looked at the torsion springs? and it looks like you could add a piece of 2" square tube between the frame and torsion.

east tx skier
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I put a 2" lift on my 93 trailer. Had a guy who fabs travel trailers do it. Had the axle aligned and the pins welded in place afterwards. When I dropped my trailer off the back of the ramp this year, I was glad I had a little extra protection. I don't notice any difference in trailering and it has helped my driveway dragger a bit.

6ballsisall
11-26-2006, 07:39 PM
I put a 2" lift on my 93 trailer. Had a guy who fabs travel trailers do it. Had the axle aligned and the pins welded in place afterwards. When I dropped my trailer off the back of the ramp this year, I was glad I had a little extra protection. I don't notice any difference in trailering and it has helped my driveway dragger a bit.

Doug does your 93 have torsion axles?

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I think air bags would be a sweet option. Raise and lower it at you leisure.

Jerseydave
11-26-2006, 10:28 PM

Have you tried lowering your tow vehicles hitch level? (drop hitch) That would help, just make sure you're not so low that your spare tire hits the road. I also try to approach at an angle when going in my driveway. Go slow when the angle is steep.

east tx skier
11-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Doug does your 93 have torsion axles?

Beats me. :confused:

The Right Kind
11-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Have you tried lowering your tow vehicles hitch level? (drop hitch) That would help, just make sure you're not so low that your spare tire hits the road. I also try to approach at an angle when going in my driveway. Go slow when the angle is steep.
Yep, tried that!
I've got 4 different hitches and there are scrapes on the approach in every direction.

I was thinking maybe some 20's

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/391691.jpg

wilhelmwake
11-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I have the same problem, but did it the other way round!
I made two wooden ramps, that I place on the steepest section of the drive way and then drive the trailer over them. Super cheap and easy, no more dragging. All you need is 4 pieces of 2" x 12" wood and 8 screws.:)

dsoby
11-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I had a similar problem... not too cool looking but it got the job done... get some 2X6 scrap wood and place them behind your wheels just before you need the trailer raised.

east tx skier
11-27-2006, 12:28 PM
For me, a combination of drop hitch, lift, and rollers was the key. My initial fix was the wood ramps, but that got old quick. Air bags would be sweet.

The Right Kind
12-08-2006, 08:45 PM
The wood ramps or aluminum would probably do the trick for my driveway but pulling into gas stations can be a real bummer. I thought I was going to rip the back of the trailer off a few times. I've learned which ones to avoid on the way to the lake.
Air Bags???