PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Loser of a boss

6ballsisall
11-25-2006, 04:40 PM
So tell you story about the biggest loser you ever worked for.

Overall I have been pretty fortunate, I have worked for some AWESOME leaders that I have learned alot from (and partially the reason where I am today.) Unfortunately, my current (for one more week only thank god!) I work for the biggest F*** up ever!

The guy gets promoted to VP 1 year ago and the real him comes out to the world..........

He's so power hungry I SWEAR I bet the first thing he did when he got the job was have his chair lifted 6" and his guest chairs in his office lower 6".
He doesn't even know enough about our business to talk intelligently, yet he thinks he does. You should see him talk to my colleagues and our employees. Dude!!! EVERYONE just has this look on their face like "Who the F^CK is this guy???" Whats more funny is he will after such an encounter comment on how well he thought that meeting went. What are you to say? Uh......... dude, you are THAT bad at reading people????
Our division is severely off since he took the helm (we were kickin arse before hand) and there has been greater than a 50% turnover in his direct reports (he only has 10 of us....) since he took over. AND most of his new hires have tanked on their markets performance to budget. The guys that have been here before VP Dumb arse are carrying the division and all the pressure is put on us to carry the group instead of focusing on the problems! :mad:
Whats funnier is his travel trips. "Ironically" his trips for business are ALWAYS wrapped around visiting personal acquaintances in that city. I am not talking about having dinner with old friends. I am talking, fly into a market Tuesday, have a BS meeting on Tuesday with him, then Wednesday-Friday he is no where to be found. BUT, he reports back to the President that he had a "good week long visit" to the market......

Sorry to vent guys, I just had to let it out! Fortunately for me, only 1 more week working for dip sh^t.

Share your horror story of a leader here!

Chief
11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
That's what has been great about the military. If you hate your boss you can relish in the fact that in a few years you will have another.

As a Chief in the Navy it is my job to pull that division officer to the side and put him or her on the right path. Maybe you should have a one on one conference and set him straight. Wrong is wrong no matter who says it's right. I once had to tell a female officer that her hygiene was offensive to the division and ship and everyone was talking about it (yellow teeth and crotch digging). Talk about awkward!

Is this why you are going to Atlanta?

6ballsisall
11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
That's what has been great about the military. If you hate your boss you can relish in the fact that in a few years you will have another.

As a Chief in the Navy it is my job to pull that division officer to the side and put him or her on the right path. Maybe you should have a one on one conference and set him straight. Wrong is wrong no matter who says it's right. I once had to tell a female officer that her hygiene was offensive to the division and ship and everyone was talking about it (yellow teeth and crotch digging). Talk about awkward!

Is this why you are going to Atlanta?

Thanks JR, yep, this has already been done......he in just (and I mean just) a slightly more professional way, said F&&& off! Yep, he is a freakin train wreck!

The new gig in ATL is with the same company, different division. (VERY COOL new boss) I took it for two reasons, more money (and opportunity, and I wouldn't have to work for Mr. Train wreck anymore....

Maristar210
11-25-2006, 05:54 PM
As a manager I think you are just being difficult8p 8p

Just kidding JR,

My wife had an idiot top level manager a few years back. She was really into titles and wanted everyone to know she was a senior VP, she was so fake and insincere it was not even funny. I met her a few weeks into this and I stated in a group of her peers; I just me her fifteen minutes ago and I say she gets fired in less than a year... we all bet on it...

Six months later I was drinkin free PAY UP Beer.

Best kind there is.

My point is that these me me me idiots always get whats coming to them because people do not respect them and thus do not produce.

Crosby can speak intelligently about this I am sure as can BRIeod. best of luck JR, wanna start a pool on how long this doorknob will last?

Steve

6ballsisall
11-25-2006, 05:58 PM
As a manager I think you are just being difficult8p 8p

Crosby can speak intelligently about this I am sure as can BRIeod. best of luck JR, wanna start a pool on how long this doorknob will last?

Steve

Dude, the funny thing is this "manager" (me, I hate that frickin title) has probably been the more happy go lucky with him than the others! I am telling you, he is a real piece of work! :rolleyes:

Oh we already have a poll going on his departure date. Seems most are betting on the end of the fiscal year there being a shake up with him. (April 1) I dont think he'll be very missed by anyone........ When you are 10% behind on a 42 million dollar revenue budget the seat has to be rather hot.......

JimN
11-25-2006, 06:11 PM
JR- is the nimrod in the family of the Pres or owners?

6ballsisall
11-25-2006, 06:13 PM
JR- is the nimrod in the family of the Pres or owners?

Nope....... I think the hesitation has been that the Prez, "prides" himself in hiring "the best" :rolleyes: We all believe he's looking for very good reason to pull the trigger on him, and he is taking his sweet time putting it all together. :rolleyes:

Chief
11-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Ro Sham boo him!

PendO
11-26-2006, 02:00 AM

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I guess the part that always gets me is, how the hell do idiots like that end up in good jobs in the first place? :confused: I mean really? how do they get past "would you like fries with that, sir??" I have never understood how idiots get upper level management jobs like that. Dont the people hiring them see through them??? I dont get it.....

6ballsisall
11-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I guess the part that always gets me is, how the hell do idiots like that end up in good jobs in the first place? :confused: I mean really? how do they get past "would you like fries with that, sir??" I have never understood how idiots get upper level management jobs like that. Dont the people hiring them see through them??? I dont get it.....

Agreed. Sometimes (ok alot of times) and I can speak first hand, subordinates like to think they could do a better job/they don't know what they are doing. Some of that is easy to say until the person biatching is in the job. BUT.........

In this instance, this guy is a real puddwhacker of a leader........

What got my goat is an email he sent me on Saturday DEMANDING I do some totally bogus BS report for him THAT DAY........ it's not so much even the DEMAND its just like the icing on the cake.......

Leroy
11-26-2006, 10:22 AM
At VP level you tend to get big egos and very driven people just by the nature of getting there.

I feel very fortunate every boss I've had has been great and that is over 23 years. Mostly because electrical engineers tends to be people that let the numbers talk. I have had to deal with a few jerks in other functions though.:(

shepherd
11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Boy, I could tell you stories about a former boss I had (what a whacko) but I won't. I may want to go back and work in that town again. With my luck he's probably the president of the local bar association now... :rolleyes:

phecksel
11-26-2006, 05:46 PM
My wife worked for a real winner. On her way out after less then a year, managed to get her boss fired, her bosses boss fired and his boss, along with the director of personnel. It wasn't pretty. She was so burned out over the whole thing, left the industry.

dapicatti
11-26-2006, 11:26 PM
I currently work for my family..............no comment.

boatless
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I am a ceo, president, vp, director, manager, supervisor and team leader to my company. We have a total of one employee and that is also me. :rolleyes: And that is enough with all these title and get back to work !!! You lazy worker you...

boatless.

Bruce
11-27-2006, 06:13 PM
It's the domino effect. Bad bosses are usually trained by bad bosses. Years ago when I was promoted to my first management position I knew one of the people who would be working for me would have his nose out of joint because he was senior to me. I flew to Memphis to meet with him and the first thing he said was "I have ten yrs experience" I said no you actually have five years experience twice. I explained that much of that was the fault of his previous mgt. I explained my goal was to make him promotable. I did and he was.

M-Funf
11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
It's the domino effect. Bad bosses are usually trained by bad bosses.

People are promoted to their level of incompetence. That's what I always say.

In my industry, people tend to be promoted without upper management really looking at their abilities to manage. Senior management takes very talented engineers and scientists and turns them into horrible managers. Conversely, mediocre engineers who would make great leaders are often overlooked because they are not as talanted in the engineering areas.

Take my current boss. He was brought up through the engineering ranks and eventually made manager of a project, then a manager of a group, then manager of a whole division. He lacks everything needed to be a manager, yet upper management likes him because he's very gifted technically. Turnover in his groups was high, and people in his groups didn't like him or respect him.

6ballsisall
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
The plot thickens........puddwhacker calls today all freaked out that this is my last week in the role. He sites multiple reasons he's not ready for the changeover, I basically tell him, dude you've had 6 weeks notice on paper, and another 2 on top of that were you knew before I that I would probably get this new job. All said and done thats 8 weeks and you haven't even started to recruit for my replacement and someone to lead my 19 employees???? 8 weeks notice is 6 weeks more notice than he would have got if I took a job with another company.

I won't miss working for this guy for even a minute, he is a sinking ship beyond belief!!!!!