PDA

View Full Version : 1st time MC owner

mash
11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I bought a used 1993 prostar a few months ago, living here in Indiana (AKA - boating hell), I've only had a few chances to get it out on the water. I have been impressed with the handling and overall quality compared to the I/O's Ive owned in the past.

I've owned several boats over the years, but never an inboard, so there are a few things I need to learn. This boat is a few years old and has a few problems I need to take care of. I'm new to TT, been reading some of the posts and find them very helpful.

Thanks everyone!

peason
11-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Feel free to ask any questions - there is a wealth of knowledge on this board. Congrats on the MC!

sanjuan23
11-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Congratulations and Welcome. Mastercrafts do not have problems as they get older they mearly have some character issues. Welcome aboard!

mrG
11-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Welcome. What issues are you having with your new boat?

TMCNo1
11-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Welcome and ask away, you will have more answers than you can deal with!

mash
11-23-2006, 09:43 AM
I love the boat, the hull is in great shape, has 800 hours - but the motor and trans seem sound. . Most of my problems are due to age and previous owners. I knew the swim platform needed work when I bought the boat. I did not realize that someone had put light brown latex stain on it. I've been workin gthe last week or so to correct this. It's in pieces on my workbench.

It was glued as well as screwed together. Lots of mildew between the pieces. I'm considering laying on a coat or two of teak oil before assembly and skipping the glue, just using screws. Any advice?

Next problem - I noticed a vibration and growling noise when applying throttle in reverse. Noticed some slop in the rear strut bearing. I pulled the shaft back to find the drive shaft is pretty ate up. Checks .010" under in a few of the deeper gouges. Suspect that someone replaced the bearings and left the shaft as is. Thought about getting the shaft welded up and re-machining the diameter. ($300+ for a new one) Any thoughts here? While it's apart I think I'll go ahead and replace the bearings too.

This is my first Ford, are they all hard starting, cold blooded, sons of guns or will my spring tune up help. Has prestolite electronic ignition. It's the HO version as well, I've read some complaints about the Holley carb on these, is that part of the problem. The last boat I had had a MPI mercruiser so I may just be a little spoiled.

I've got a few more, but it's Thanksgiving so I'll just wish everyone a happy holiday!

Bruce
11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Welcome! Like you I bought my first MC in Sept. It was also my first IO. The folks on this board bend over backwards to help. The scary thing is they usually know what they are talking about.(there are of course exceptions. It won't take long to figure that out)
As for me if you are looking for a little knowledge--I have as little as anyone. Happy Thanksgiving

Maristar210
11-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome aboard and be sure to check out the FAQ section, it is full of information you will find useful and a lot of the issues have step by step instructions with pictures. East Tx Skier is the moderator as you have proabably seen and he is quite knowlegdeable, for a Texan that is;)

Steve

TMCNo1
11-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Welcome aboard and be sure to check out the FAQ section, it is full of information you will find useful and a lot of the issues have step by step instructions with pictures. East Tx Skier is the moderator as you have proabably seen and he is quite knowlegdeable, for a Texan that is;)

Steve
Are you kidding me, he's a regular Alfred Ibenspyin!

Archimedes
11-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Welcome and great boat by the way. Re: that swim platform, if it's as bad as you indicate, you may want to search around for a used one on eBay.

Ramhouse
11-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome, and you'll be glad you're an MC owner. My '93 has 1300hrs. and with regular maintance you will be more than trilled with your purchase. Lets see some pics. Mine also makes some noise when you go in reverse with fast action, but while easing it in, there is no winding sound that you describe. Starting after sitting for a while will take a few tries, but a good tune up sloves that. I'm in California where we use it year round. I run it every two weeks for about 15min. to keep seals wet.
Great boat!!You'll love it...
Richard
Questions just ask..and you'll even get more answers than you sometimes need.

SteveO
11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the jungle. Careful as this site is addictive. Rumor has it that a fellow named Doug, aka EastTx, has a few things to say about your hull style.

mrG
11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I love the boat, the hull is in great shape, has 800 hours - but the motor and trans seem sound. . Most of my problems are due to age and previous owners. I knew the swim platform needed work when I bought the boat. I did not realize that someone had put light brown latex stain on it. I've been workin gthe last week or so to correct this. It's in pieces on my workbench.

It was glued as well as screwed together. Lots of mildew between the pieces. I'm considering laying on a coat or two of teak oil before assembly and skipping the glue, just using screws. Any advice?

Next problem - I noticed a vibration and growling noise when applying throttle in reverse. Noticed some slop in the rear strut bearing. I pulled the shaft back to find the drive shaft is pretty ate up. Checks .010" under in a few of the deeper gouges. Suspect that someone replaced the bearings and left the shaft as is. Thought about getting the shaft welded up and re-machining the diameter. ($300+ for a new one) Any thoughts here? While it's apart I think I'll go ahead and replace the bearings too.

This is my first Ford, are they all hard starting, cold blooded, sons of guns or will my spring tune up help. Has prestolite electronic ignition. It's the HO version as well, I've read some complaints about the Holley carb on these, is that part of the problem. The last boat I had had a MPI mercruiser so I may just be a little spoiled.

I've got a few more, but it's Thanksgiving so I'll just wish everyone a happy holiday!

I don't know if you can get that stain off of your platform without a lot of labor. At this point you may be better off leaving stained with a quality exterior teak colored stain, but I can understand if you would to bring it back to OEM standards.

The vibration is something you should address ASAP. If the boat has not been maintained regularly chances are the enginge alignment is out of tolerance which will, or has, destroyed the strut bushings and causes vibration. I recently went through the very same issue with my 92 PS 190. I considered trying to do the work myself but when I looked at the price of the tools required for a one time job it made better sense to me to have a pro do the work. Total cost for alignment and new cutlass bearings was $175 . This can be a dirty job if there is corrosion involved. I also discovered that I had a bent prop which was adding to the vibration problem.

I have the fish bowl Holley on my engine. It did have some cold starting and idle problems but I ran some Berryman B-12 Chemtool thorugh it and had the the carb tuned along with a good tune-up and now it runs strong and smooth as glass.

If your prop shaft is run out I'm not sure what to recomend on that one. I'm sure someone else would here would have some experience with that.

Let us know how is goes.

TOO-TALL
11-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Mash

Where in Indiana do you live???

Hoosier Bob
11-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Answer the above question! I am in Indy and may have some of the parts you need or have been there and done that. PineCrest marine got me a new strut and bearings for under $200 and I think it was around $150. I have a spare drive shaft that is in great shape. The strut bearing is good place to start regarding vibration. I have never had an inboard that backed smoothly. PM me and I will help any way I can.
HB

Maristar210
11-23-2006, 04:07 PM
HB

Slaving over a bird today?

slink976
11-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Answer the above question! I am in Indy and may have some of the parts you need or have been there and done that. PineCrest marine got me a new strut and bearings for under $200 and I think it was around $150. I have a spare drive shaft that is in great shape. The strut bearing is good place to start regarding vibration. I have never had an inboard that backed smoothly. PM me and I will help any way I can.
HB

Welcome to the board! these are a great group of peeps. You have to watch this Hoosier cat, all he does is drink the Coors light and mess up his house. He doesn't even have a maid!

Hoosier Bob
11-23-2006, 04:35 PM
No! Dad went back into the hospital last night. I got home at 1 AM and went back this AM. Just got in and watched the Dolphins win over some Michigan team! No Thanksgiving this year but will go to Lisa's parents tonight. Take care Steve, Happy Thanksgiving and once again take care!
The great news is I still have a father to visit in the hospital!

Hoosier Bob
11-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Slink you have a choice! My maid or my biotch?8p

east tx skier
11-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Congrats on the boat. Let's see some pictures. The issues I had with that Holley (4010) were more of the hot stall and bad idle variety. Give the throttle a few full pumps before starting and then give the key a turn.

mash
11-23-2006, 10:00 PM
I've attached a picture from previous owner's add. I've not had a chance yet to take any of my own.

mash
11-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Here is a pic of the new (old) boat from previous owner's add. Sorry about the previous post, I was out using paint stripper on the swim platform today, then had a few beers. Must have clouded my mind (that and old age).

slink976
11-23-2006, 11:28 PM
I gotta take the maid on this one! I heard from your last GF nothing much there..... wait no pain and i don't have to clean, might have to sleep on this one!

slink976
11-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Here is a pic of the new (old) boat from previous owner's add. Sorry about the previous post, I was out using paint stripper on the swim platform today, then had a few beers. Must have clouded my mind (that and old age).
Yep, you'll fit right in here! Especailly with the BEER!

tuffenuff
11-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Welcome to the Mastercraft life! I too am a new MC owner and have been hiding in the shadows reading all the awsome insites and info. A lot of experience on this forum. Keep good notes and keep coming back for more.

454Barefoot
11-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Is that by any chance Lake Freeman where the boat is in that picture?

mash
11-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Is that by any chance Lake Freeman where the boat is in that picture?

Heritage Lake, A small private lake west of Indy 45 minutes or so. I purchased it there.

I'll be in the clean water of Wawassee, at Syracuse, IN next year.

Are You from the Monticello area?

454Barefoot
11-24-2006, 10:19 AM
No I am from the northern part of Indiana, I have been to Freeman a few times and the pic kind of resembled the area down there. I mostly go to Bass Lake and Culver. I have been wanting to check out a few of those lakes right off 30 such as Wawassee however

Kyle's_prostar205
11-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Welcome to the MC family! You will not be diapointed! Happy holidays!!!:D

trickskier
11-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Welcome, Nice looking MasterCraft!

92 190 PS
11-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Welcome, good looking boat. I have a 92 with an HO and original carb new to me this year and had similar starting issues in the beginning, but after a season and some minore carb adjustments I'm in great shape. If I were you I'd do a quick search for carb adjustments on this site and follow the instructions...Good luck and keep us posted on your progress..

Jesus_Freak
11-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Welcome and beautiful boat.

H20skeefreek
11-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Mash, I too am from Kokomo (I'm actually here right now). I live in SC. My brother in law is a skier and I'm sure he'd be willing to ski with you sometime if you need someone. Are you familiar with the Kokomo ski club? I think the McGavics run it or have something to do with it. I don't have my ski with me, or I'd offer to ski with you this weekend.

Did you grow up in Kokomo? Which HS? When did you graduate?
I did, went to KHS graduated in '97.

I know some footers in K-town if you want me to hook you up with them. Shoot me a PM sometime.

PS-why is Indiana boating hell, other than the short season?

WTRSK1R
11-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the board. You will LOVE that boat. I used to have the '92 very similar. With my boat, if it was cold, I pumped the throttle about 3-4 times before hitting the key and it would start every time. Once it was running, I would need to keep it up around 1000 rpms for about 30 seconds to a minute, but then it would be in good shape for the rest of the day. I did have an issue with hard starting when warm about 8 years into owning it, and that turned out to be a minor timing adjustment. After setting the timing back to spec, that was never an issue again. However, my boat was babied from day one. I was the original owner and took very good care of it. If your boat was neglected, it is hard to say what you may need to do to get it back in prime condition. The one thing I would suggest you keep in mind with this hull is the windshield design leaves a little bit to be desired. If you are going to be hitting any chop, do not drive the boat with the center section of the windshield open. If you do, you will see both sides of the windshield flex back an forth as the boat bounces. Also, with my boat, the mounting screws for the windshield frame would become loose about once a year. It was not a big deal though. There is a rubber strip near the bottom of the windshield frame that you could pull out and then take a phillips screw driver and tighten them back up. Whole job only took about 30 minutes.

That boat has a great slalom wake, and I am told that it makes a great wakeboard boat with a little ballast.

Have fun. You will find answers to most any question you have on this board.

Steve

mash
11-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Did you grow up in Kokomo? Which HS? When did you graduate?
I did, went to KHS graduated in '97. I grew up in Lafayette (GO BOILERS! ) moved with my folks in '72 - graduated WHS '75 - My son in '96, daughter in '02 - both WHS

I know some footers in K-town if you want me to hook you up with them. Shoot me a PM sometime. Barefooting is beyond my ability, and at my age I couldn't take the abuse! I like to watch others abuse themselves, though.

PS-why is Indiana boating hell, other than the short season?[/QUOTE]

The short season is a problem, for sure! Acually this is the first ski boat I've owned. Last boat was an '02 232 Rinker cuddy - 350 MPI, I loved the Kentucky - Tennessee lakes and rivers, we did a lot of cruising and overnighting down there. Missississenwa, Salimonie, Freeman, Shafer, Morse - all pretty darn sad in comparison to Dale Hollow, Cumberland, Laurel River, etc.

I'm actually more of a boater than a skier, love being on the water. I do love to slalom, not that great at it (World Team 70"). With the kind of wake the new boat has compared to what I've been used to, I think I'll be getting a lot more practice.

You will not catch me in water less than 70 deg. though, did you see the Michigan guy's post? Great pics, but Michigan people are nuts - only thing worse than dirty water is cold water in my book.

SC must be a great place for watersports. You like it?

atlfootr
11-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm new to TT, been reading some of the posts and find them very helpful.Check out the FAQ's section of the board and welcome to TT.