PDA

View Full Version : Tow Suv

floridamastercraft
11-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm looking for a new SUV to tow my 197...... I would like to get a Mid-size SUV but i really like the new Tahoe.....

here are some suv's i'm looking at..... what is best to tow with?

Bmw X5
Bmw X3

Audi Q7

Land Rover LR3
Volvo XC90

Ford Explorer

Lexus RX

Mercedes ML 350

Wife wants a Safe SUV with all the side air bags etc.....

Monte
11-22-2006, 06:21 PM
My wife drives a GMC Envoy... I really like it.. Tows well too! With the XL pkg. I don't think you're giving up much room from the Tahoe

rodltg2
11-22-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm looking for a new SUV to tow my 197...... I would like to get a Mid-size SUV but i really like the new Tahoe.....

Bmw X5
Bmw X3

Audi Q7

Land Rover LR3
Volvo XC90

Ford Explorer
Lexus RX

Mercedes ML 350

one of these is not like the others

mrG
11-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Didn't care that much for the Mercedes ML. Ford Explorer has always worked good for me. Tows good etc... Good value.

trickskier
11-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I have a Suburban and a Tahoe. I prefer the Tahoe because of the shorter wheelbase when backing. If you do go with a GM product get the lowest gear ratio offered for that vehicle. My Suburban as 4:10 and the Tahoe as 3:73 both have limited slip differential.

Footin
11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
My wife loves her Trailblazer and it tows very well.

Archimedes
11-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Here are my votes:

Bmw X5 NO
Bmw X3 NEVER

Audi Q7 MAYBE, BUT TOO NICE

Land Rover LR3 MAYBE, BUT TOO NICE AS WELL
Volvo XC90 NO

Ford Explorer MAYBE, BUT THE BRAKES ON THE EXP BITE

Lexus RX OH PLEASE. IS THIS FOR YOUR WIFE?

Mercedes ML 350 SEE LEXUS ANSWER

If you're dead set on a small SUV, look at the V8 Touareg, assuming you can get it for 15% or more UNDER sticker.

If you want a bigger vehicle, I'd vote Tahoe or, my personal favorite, an 07 Avalanche. But one thing it ain't is small.

Footin
11-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I agree on the new Avalanche, I might go look at new ones on Friday.

Ryan
11-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I would like to get a Mid-size SUV but i really like the new Tahoe.....

Bmw X5 V8 (tows 6000)
Audi Q7 (tows 5500-6600) and will have a smokin' V12 TDI soon
Land Rover LR3 (tows 6200-7400)
Volvo XC90 V8 (only Tows 4960)
Ford Explorer V8 (tows 6640 lbs)
Mercedes ML 350 (make it the ML 500 & tows 5k lbs)
All others listed are poor tow-ers.

There's some good info for starters. The Exploer has an improved V8 now. I've got to toss in a bone for the V8 4Runner (tows 7300)/Lexus GX over any of the vehicles you listed that I pulled off the list and some listed above. Any of these vehicles listed above would do a great job towing your boat. With the biggest engines in each vehicle the price segment is all over the board though $34-80k.

You'll get likely get the best bang for your towing buck with the Tahoe though.

Chief
11-22-2006, 09:21 PM
F250 Crew Cab! SUV and Truck!

Leroy
11-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Here is a capacity list of all vehicles. I can only speak of the LX470 that pulls my ~6000 Maristar/trailer/stuff very stable and predictable.

Enter any vehicle and you get a 34 page list.

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Camping-Towing/TowVehicles.htm

PendO
11-22-2006, 11:17 PM
I have a Suburban and a Tahoe. I prefer the Tahoe because of the shorter wheelbase when backing. If you do go with a GM product get the lowest gear ratio offered for that vehicle. My Suburban as 4:10 and the Tahoe as 3:73 both have limited slip differential.

Get the Tahoe w/ the 6.0L and 4.10 rear end (the Yukons and Yukon Denali's are sweet as well - just depends what you want to look at on the grill) ... recently replaced the "Exploder" (V8 2002) w/ a Suburban as I needed more room for an expanding family, I did tow my 197 w/ the exploder a few times, it was okay ... but I think the class IV receiver ratings also depend on the type of hitch receiver ... you can only tow the max w/ a weight distributing receiver ... and even with a straight receiver (no drop down) I was not too fond of the tongue weight ... felt like the exploder should have been an inch or two higher IMO.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/07RVexplorer9-18.pdf

fskof
11-23-2006, 12:43 AM
I have a 2004 Touareq V8 and I have to say its the best tow vehicle I ever had. I tow a 2003 Prostar 209 with it and can honesty say I dont even feel the boat behind me. The brakes are excellent, very strong and passing while going up a hill is not a problem. My touareq has the air suspension so the car levels itself. The Touareq/Cayenne/Audi Q7 are basically all the same and these vehicals are way over engineered. I have 25,000 miles and have had no problems with it. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to help you out.

I dont have much information about the new 2007 BMW X5 or the new 2007 M-B ML350 but a friend of mine just bought the new M-B GL 450 and he loves it.

Archimedes
11-23-2006, 02:19 AM
I have a 2004 Touareq V8 and I have to say its the best tow vehicle I ever had. I tow a 2003 Prostar 209 with it and can honesty say I dont even feel the boat behind me. The brakes are excellent, very strong and passing while going up a hill is not a problem. My touareq has the air suspension so the car levels itself. The Touareq/Cayenne/Audi Q7 are basically all the same and these vehicals are way over engineered. I have 25,000 miles and have had no problems with it. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to help you out.

I have to agree. My 04 Treg V8 was an awesome tow vehicle. However, the overall ownership experience was like one long prostate exam.

sizzler
11-23-2006, 03:41 AM
i have the toyota amazon 4.2 TDI ,,...its an amazing tow vehicle.....tows my X9 superbly....its similar to Leroys LX470 ,except his is petrol and mine is diesel.....the only ones on your list(which reads rather european) i would go for..and this comes from experience of driving,or friends who have them all......would be the LANDROVER DISCOVERY3,or the AUDI Q7.....both in diesel........the landrover is a massive workhorse and nice to drive....the AUDI is great and more at home on the road than the LR3,which is the best off-road in that list....if the AUDI is gonna get a V12 diesel..then this would be the car for me......:twocents:

Leroy
11-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Sizzler, That has to difficult to drive around England. I wish I had a diesel engine in mine.

I would like to hear more about the Touareq sounds interesting.

tex
11-23-2006, 11:59 AM
My Durango tows my 197 great! Hemi, Hemi!

PendO
11-23-2006, 01:41 PM
My Durango tows my 197 great! Hemi, Hemi!

yeah, I forgot about the HEMI - good alternative to the tahoe (a bit smaller than the tahoe/yukon though, right?) my younger bro has the hemi in his 1/2 ton pickup and he regularly uses it to tow the X*, a mid-size diesel SUV would be nice, but from my shopping experience you get the best price (bang for your buck) on domestic vehicles .................. here comes JR to tell you how much he loved his Durango:) (Neighbor just bought their second - so I guess that means they are happy:))

6ballsisall
11-23-2006, 01:58 PM
here comes JR to tell you how much he loved his Durango (Neighbor just bought their second - so I guess that means they are happy)

ahem...........thanks Pendo............:rolleyes:

We actually wrote a BIG fat check to pay that sucker off just yesterday evening....... seems our trial date isn't until Oct. 17, 2007!!!!!!!!:mad: Gotta love the legal system, 2 years in the works.......:rolleyes:

dougl
11-23-2006, 04:59 PM
We tow our PS195 with a 2006 XC-90 (2.5L 5cyl Turbo) and it does fine. My wife usually drives it and loves it (she hated driving our Expedition). It's great for hauling the kids around and has a pretty good amount of storage space even with all 3 rows of seating up. Does great in the snow too. I'm sure the 8cyl does a better job towing, but we've never had a problem pulling the boat up the ramp or any big hills, no problems stoping either.

JKTX21
11-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I tow with an Expedition and have zero complaints. Maybe I'd get a QX or a Toureg if it was in my price range, the Expedition is far and away the best bang for the buck. (The new Tahoes are pretty cool though).

Eagle
11-23-2006, 11:38 PM
I tow my X-2 with a BMW X-5 V-8. It does just fine. It's great around town and in the mountains in the snow. If I towed more often, I'd probably get a Tahoe or a Durango.

Jarbon
11-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Have a look at this link - Touraeg pulls 747.

http://1000www.autoblog.com/2006/11/22/touareg-v10-tdi-tows-a-747/

Think it's safe to say it will pull most MCs!