PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing Mastercraft S&S TIPS PLEASE

Chaser_rct
11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I just got my 1983 Stars and Stripes from my dad in July. When i got it the stringers were rotted out so i have now stripped the interior and have the stringers in and ready to be fiberglassed. I was just wondering if any of you fellow MC owners have any advice or ideas that i should do with my boat. I will get some pics up shortly.

TMCNo1
11-21-2006, 09:29 PM
There are several on here who have or are restoring/refurbing old boats and many who are maintaining old boats that need various information concerning problems they are encountering as the years go by. Jeremy79 is the 1st to come to mind. Review FAQ section, top thread under "General Discussion" and use the search feature by inserting words related to the subject you are researching. Good Luck. There will probably be someone along with more precise info to direct you.

SkiDog
11-21-2006, 10:12 PM
There are several on here who have or are restoring/refurbing old boats and many who are maintaining old boats that need various information concerning problems they are encountering as the years go by. Jeremy79 is the 1st to come to mind. Review FAQ section, top thread under "General Discussion" and use the search feature by inserting words related to the subject you are researching. Good Luck. There will probably be someone along with more precise info to direct you.

Now just what in the hell do you know about taking care of older boats?!?!?!?!??!:D :D :D

TMCNo1
11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Now just what in the hell do you know about taking care of older boats?!?!?!?!??!:D :D :D

Don't make me do it! Oh well, I'll do it!

Chaser_rct
11-22-2006, 01:15 AM
any ideas on where to get a windshield??

SKI*MC
11-22-2006, 02:28 AM
PICTURES! haha i have an 83 too and i love it. What are you all planning on doing to it?

mrG
11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
I just got my 1983 Stars and Stripes from my dad in July. When i got it the stringers were rotted out so i have now stripped the interior and have the stringers in and ready to be fiberglassed. I was just wondering if any of you fellow MC owners have any advice or ideas that i should do with my boat. I will get some pics up shortly.

What is your goal with the project? Do you want to completely restore to showroom condition or get it in good mechanical condition?
I look forward to seeing the pics of it's condition.

Monte
11-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Try taylor made on the windshield. They may have what you're looking for...
http://www.taylormarine.com/windshields/index.html

MMCCAR12
11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
How did you make that swim step look like that?

mrG
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM

You might try Rancho Marine www.boatrecycling.com

TMCNo1
11-22-2006, 11:37 AM
How did you make that swim step look like that?

Who are you asking?

Chaser_rct
11-22-2006, 07:30 PM
So here she is when i brought her home, its a diamond in the rough for sure. Basically i am just trying to make it a classic boat i can enjoy nothing fancy i jus wanna go boatin! I have replaced the stringers which was a PAIN! and i am now ready to lay the floor. Any ideas on where i should weight it for the best wake?

mrG
11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Good looking boat. A classic for sure. Can't see any close up details in the pics but it looks like all you need to do is fix the rub-rail, give it a good compounding and waxing, and an interior cleaning you'll be good to go.

repost?

mrG
11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah, what other issues do you have to deal with? How is the power train?

Chaser_rct
11-23-2006, 06:27 PM
The steering cable needs to be replaced or lubed up because it is extremely hard to turn, the motor and trans work great. So really the only other major issues would be the rubrail and the guy that owned it before didnt have carpet on the trailer so the bottom and nose is pretty roughed up.

Jim@BAWS
11-23-2006, 07:15 PM

If you still hav the frame I can get you one made

Jim@BAWS

SKI*MC
11-23-2006, 07:56 PM
maybe its just me, but i am almost 100% that it isnt an 83. It lookes older. Check the Hull ID number on the right hand side of the transom. The last two numbers will tell you.

DemolitionMan
11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
That is either a 79, 80, or 81, didnt they go to the square windshield in 1982.I know its not a 78 because a 78 has the smaller wind shield that doesnt have the bubble in it. If you need any ideas I have some pictures of my boat on my profile.

edwinfuqua
11-23-2006, 08:29 PM
So here she is when i brought her home, its a diamond in the rough for sure. Basically i am just trying to make it a classic boat i can enjoy nothing fancy i jus wanna go boatin! I have replaced the stringers which was a PAIN! and i am now ready to lay the floor. Any ideas on where i should weight it for the best wake?
You sure have a lot of work to do. You can order new Black vinal rub rail from your MC dealer. I scraped all the old silicone out of the crack between the hull and the deck and sealed it with 3M urathane windshield chaulk, it's black and it stuck it togather real good. No more leaks. You can see some pictures at http://computeralarm.com/boat/454.htm . Don't take all the rivits out only the ones holding the old aluminum rub rail on. Put it back togather by drilling 5/64" holes and use 'cone' shouldered SS screws 1" and in some places it take 1.5" ones.
Edwin

ski_king
11-23-2006, 09:27 PM
maybe its just me, but i am almost 100% that it isnt an 83. It lookes older. Check the Hull ID number on the right hand side of the transom. The last two numbers will tell you.
His profile says it's a 81.

Looks like a nice project boat. Good luck and send us photos as you do the work!

88 PS190
11-24-2006, 01:29 AM
the hull and the deck and sealed it with 3M urathane windshield chaulk, it's black and it stuck it togather real good. No more leaks. Edwin

And if you make am mess with the black 3M urathane, brake fluid is possibly the best solvant you will EVER locate.

That stuff is impossibly messy,

Strong junk, you'll never remove it, I've even seen a big blob of it on the head of a floor jack to add grip and prevent marks/denting of chassis parts.

rhsprostar
11-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Looks like our old 81. Great boat......does it have a power slot? Our 81 had the power slot and it was a rocket. Very quick boat and lots of torque.

Chaser_rct
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
I just have half of the old windsheild itself, and i also have the black piece that the windshield attatched to the boat will this work?? Also would it be possible to take the frame off the boat itself and put a new square windshield in??

Chaser_rct
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply sorry for the mistake it is an 81 and i am not sure if it has the powerslot i will check tonight, college lets out in 2 weeks so i will be able to really get to work on it i will keep you guys posted thanks for all the advice.

Chaser_rct
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I have worked the black rubber back into the railing with a heat gun and a couple hours of work, i was thinking about taking Fiberglass cloth and fiberglassing behind where the rivits have been ripped out and just riviting new holes to hold it up. Think that would work??

ski_king
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
..... Also would it be possible to take the frame off the boat itself and put a new square windshield in??
The deck is different for the square and rounded windshield, so that probobly wont work. Also finding a square windshield may be just as difficult.