PDA

View Full Version : Trailer VIN

FrankSchwab
12-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm looking at buying a 1998 Maristar 200VRS, but there appears to be a problem with the trailer. As in, the trailer under the boat doesn't appear to be the trailer that the owner owns. It appears that the Marina where the owner stored his boat (all the way across the country, of course) swapped trailers on him before shipping the boat out here. This included swapping the license plate. Of course, the trailer under the boat also happens to now be a single-axle trailer rather than the double-axle that he thinks he had before...

So, to verify this, does anyone have any idea where the VIN is for a galvanized, single-axle MasterCraft trailer? There is a sticker on the tongue of the trailer that identifies the builder as MasterCraft, and lists a Model number of MS200V, but I didn't find any kind of identifier on it. I also (in a few minutes looking) didn't find any other data plate on the trailer that might contain the VIN.

And no, I don't really have much of a desire to drag a 3000 pound boat around on a single-axle trailer. However, the hassle factor of dealing with that will certainly factor into the price; having title to the trailer is a certain level of hassle, where not having title is a whole 'nother ball game.

/frank

G-man
12-21-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure what state your in but in Texas boat trailers of that size don't have titles. If the trailer is made for your model boat I wouldn't worry about it being a single axle. The weight of the boat is more like 2500-2600lbs. Keep your bearings lubricated and good tires at the proper pressure. MasterCraft VIN silver sticker doesn't hold up well to the weather. It's up to the state your in on how big a pain registration of the trailer will be.

BrianM
12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
My trailer only has a silver 'metalized' sticker on the left side of the trailer before the actual tongue of the trailer just ahead of the windshield on the boat. Mine is so worn and faded that you can't make out but just a few of the numbers. My trailer does not have the vin anyplace else.

I have heard others on this board say that some of the trailers have the vin stamped on the inner rail near the fender if I remember correctly. Good luck.

FWIW I wouldn't buy a trailer I didn't have a good title to unless you know someone that is able to fix it:) (the title that is)

mastercraft1995
12-21-2004, 05:03 PM
port side of the trailer behind the wheel is a cross member. If you look inside that cross member you should find the vin number. You'll need a flashlight to see it.

FrankSchwab
12-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Thank you all. I'll have a look at the rail.

In Arizona, all trailers have to have a title; if your trailer doesn't have a VIN then there are procedures in place for dealing with non-titled trailers (post a bond, do a title search, etc). I'd just rather not deal with it.

/frank

jimmer2880
12-22-2004, 06:31 AM
If you're mainly concerned about the VIN for titling purposes - you could remove all names from the trailer (IE - mastercraft), paint it if necessary & title it as a home-made trailer. I had to do that on a trailer here in MD. I wasn't concerned since I knew the entire ownership chain. We have that problem at the club I belong to all the time. Many boats never leave club property & change hands from one member to the other. Then a member buys one & actually wants to title it & the original title was lost from 2 or 3 owners ago.

My point is, it's not difficult (at least in MD) to get a trailer titled as home made.

VTJC
12-22-2004, 03:47 PM
The painted single axle trailer under my 99 actually has two VINís, one clearly on a Mastercraft label that is 16 characters and a second on the port side, aft of the MC label, about where the winch is on the outside of the frame, this one is the proper 17 characters. You might check there. Here in VT titles aren't necessary unless the combined weight of trailer and load is over a certain weight. So they are exchanged via bills of sales, regardless of value.

Does the previous owner have any pics of the boat on the trailer; it should be easy to tell single vs double. The single axles are allot easier to maneuver if you donít travel allot of miles, it might be a blessing.

Good luck. Jamie

FrankSchwab
12-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately, the local lakes are 30 miles from my house. That's a lot of miles going out once or twice a week. The big lakes (Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Lake Havasu, etc) are all 200-300 miles away. With that much driving, I'd really prefer to give up the maneuverability and instead get the long-haul stability and reliability.

Thanks for everyone's help.

/frank