PDA

View Full Version : X2 or X15

Jet
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been following your teamtalk for a few weeks now and you are one of the reasons for my dilemma today as we are convinced we want a Mastercraft. We are looking to buy our first boat and we are looking at the 2007 X2 or 2007 X15. We are a family of 5, with daughters of 5, 10 and 12. We love being on the water and want to do some wakeboard, tube and surf. We are also looking at leaving the boat at a marina on a large body of water, so we are looking for a stable boat in choppy waters.

We have tried the X2 and loved it but we have not tried the X15. For a few thousand more, I think we can probably get a safer boat ( deeper) as well as more stability.

I am planning to visit the dealer this saturday to make our choice and would like to have your advice. If this question has been asked before, please direct me to the spot.

Chief
11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Don't forget the Maristar 200VRS, same as X2!

Bobbyk
11-21-2006, 08:44 PM
I am obviously biased as I opted for the X2 but I can say the difference in stability from my 2004 X2 to my 2006 is huge. The 2004 was a great boat but I feel far more stable when I am both underway and stopped in rough or choppy water in the 2006. One thing that is most noticed by everyone is the ride quality through chop. I know the X15 is much larger than the 2004 X2 but the differnce in hull shape makes a big difference in my opinion.

sand2snow22
11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Go with your gut. I think your gut is telling me X15. Especially if you're not going to waterski. X15 will be great for wakeboarding, tubing, and surfing. However, the wake, even with no ballast might be a little intimidating for your little ones.. They could get use to it.

Make sure you demo the 15, tho. It should handle the chop just as well, maybe a little deeper and wider.......Good luck.....

Chief
11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I am obviously biased as I opted for the X2 but I can say the difference in stability from my 2004 X2 to my 2006 is huge. The 2004 was a great boat but I feel far more stable when I am both underway and stopped in rough or choppy water in the 2006. One thing that is most noticed by everyone is the ride quality through chop. I know the X15 is much larger than the 2004 X2 but the differnce in hull shape makes a big difference in my opinion.

That's a awesome X2 you have there. I was set on the X2 and then I saw the Maristar I bought and thought the color scheme was unique and awesome. I love the way this hull just sucks up the rough water. Very solid feel and the room inside is nice. This boat feels like a 25 footer to me. I love it. Never looked at the X15 but I'm sure it's pretty phat too!

Bobbyk
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Thank you. I didn't even have an opportunity to see the Maristar line in person, but I am sure it looks great. I miss the metalic flake, I didn't think it would look right in the graphic patern of the 06 X2.
http://i15.tinypic.com/4g5hmkp.jpg
I loved it on the 04 X2.

Bobbyk
11-21-2006, 09:00 PM
http://i15.tinypic.com/4g5hmkp.jpg

Jet
11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Go with your gut. I think your gut is telling me X15. Especially if you're not going to waterski. X15 will be great for wakeboarding, tubing, and surfing. However, the wake, even with no ballast might be a little intimidating for your little ones.. They could get use to it.

Make sure you demo the 15, tho. It should handle the chop just as well, maybe a little deeper and wider.......Good luck.....
Thanks for the advice, only thing is I will not be able to try the X15 as it is getting pretty cold around here. We loved the ride of the X2 and we figure the X15 should be even better with the deeper hull.

slink976
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I think the X2 is the way to go! But I am really biased on this subject. Never rode behind an X15 but if anyone close want to pull me I am always down!

SkiDog
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Don't forget the Maristar 200VRS, same as X2!

Damn fine lookin' boat you got there sonny!;)

Chief
11-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Damn fine lookin' boat you got there sonny!;)

Trick told me he could not ride in a Georiga colored boat. I am orginally from South Carolina so I told him it was gamecock colors and he came to accept it. Those gators are so peculiar...............

Archimedes
11-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, only thing is I will not be able to try the X15 as it is getting pretty cold around here. We loved the ride of the X2 and we figure the X15 should be even better with the deeper hull.

I wouldn't assume it's better, just different. Generally, the more V in the hull better it handles chop but also the more it rolls. Personally, I'd go X2 all the way simply because I think it's a much cooler looking boat with an awesome boarding wake and it's plenty stable enough. I've been told the X-2 is a much softer ride than my 06 X-1 and my X-1 does just fine in some serious chop.

erkoehler
11-21-2006, 10:54 PM
PM at you :)

Hoosier Bob
11-21-2006, 10:56 PM
The X-2's I have seen rock! The Maristars I have been around also rock! The X9 sucks in the rough but is the ultimate! I say try them all and do not rush to conclusions! The brand is awesome when the shoe fits, BUY IT! If you do not post pics you will be banned! Welcome to the family my friend!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Go with the X-2...... Love Mine!!!

rstitson
11-21-2006, 11:32 PM
We ordered and x-15. Wanted the extra size and versatility though we did not try the x-2. For recreational water skiing not course work the x-15 is fine. I don't know about the x-2 but the x-15 has ballast under the floor giving it loads of storage. Look at the specs I believe you will find the free board greater in the x-15. We also wanted big lake capability and the test drive assured us it would preform well. I stopped it in a three foot manufactured chop taking it side ways and it just rolled over it with no water inside.

X-2
11-22-2006, 01:00 AM
We sure like our X2...but try them both out first. Also look at the X-Star, awesome boat as well.

erkoehler
11-22-2006, 01:19 AM
I'd recommend the x-30 is your going 15....especially for bigger water. Who doesn't want more room :)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2006, 10:01 AM
If you do not post pics you will be banned! Welcome to the family my friend!
Cute.......Very cute....:noface:

The X15 is my vote.....;) Welcome aboard.....:D

Waterski-Marcoisland
11-22-2006, 02:55 PM
I have an 07 X2. This boat handles rough water like a 25 footer. The step hull design plays a huge role in this, it is very responsive and you can still do back deeps behind hit it along with pulling the kiddies on the tube. Overall great boat and I would never reconsider my purchase.

Sodar
11-22-2006, 03:00 PM
I have an 07 X2. This boat handles rough water like a 25 footer. The step hull design plays a huge role in this, it is very responsive and you can still do back deeps behind hit it along with pulling the kiddies on the tube. Overall great boat and I would never reconsider my purchase.

Why are you selling your new X-2?

SoCalBrew
11-22-2006, 04:23 PM
I went from a PS190 to the X-15. Night and Day. The X-15 is SO much more stable and so much more of a family boat... but it still has the performance. I've been really happy with the wakes so far, but the extra room, and extreme ease in the driveability category, have made me have no regret in getting the larger boat. I would, however, strongly recommend that you test both boats before buying. they both have different hulls, and both ride differently. I can't believe how smooth the X-15 is in any water, but it is a drastically different ride from the PS 190.

2QWICK
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Lemmie tell ya.... we had our X30 out in rough conditions right at the mouth of the St Johns and it did awesome. I'd say it was 3-4 seas with wind and white caps and the boat would either plow thru them or skim across the top depending on speed. Granted it's not the hipster wake boat to have and may have a slightly dif lip then the X-Star but I don't plan to have Parks or Shane in my boat anytime soon. I was torn between the X2 and the 30 as well and after spending about 10 minutes in the 30.. then sitting in the 2... it was an easy decision.

However it IS dawg colors so I am sure I'll hear it from Trick and it will never make the trek to the FL/GA game - but other then the red gelcoat its a sick boat.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Why are you selling your new X-2?
Either he edited his post, or I think you may have read that incorrectly..I don't see any signs of him selling.

Sodar
11-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Either he edited his post, or I think you may have read that incorrectly..I don't see any signs of him selling.

Marketplace!!

Jet
11-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Great boat you have there !

Did you try the X15 before going for the X2 ?

badams
11-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I've test driven and 2005 X30, owned and 2005 X45 and currently own an 2006 X2 because we now live on a small, private lake. If you are looking for a boat that will do well on big water I think you would be happier with either the X30. In my opinon the X15 is just about the same size boat with without the pickled fork bow. My X2 is great on the smaller private lake that we live on. However, it isn't great for big water. I've had it on Lake of the Ozarks and it was just too small. I'm not sure how big the lake is your are talking about putting the boat on but Lake of the Ozarks has anywhere from 3 to 4 ft swells at any given time on a weekend. That was just too much for the smaller boat. The X30 would do much better. Good luck in your search.

jsnipes
11-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Jet, I have an '06 X-15 and love it. I typically go out with 5 - 7 people and the extra room is GREAT to have. With the size of your family and your intended use I don't think you could pick a better model than the X-15. There is at least one other thread on this topic that you may want to search for and I also posted some pics of X-15 wakes a month or so ago.

Having said that, the X-2 is one awesome boat too and I had to make the same choice as you. The great thing is, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are awesome boats.

Best of luck on making the choice ... let us know what you end up with!

Jamie

Jet
11-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Jsnipes, I love the colors you put on your boat. There seems to be more room at the front than the X2. The pictures are very convincing. I think I am leaning more towards the X15.

Thanks to all for your help and happy thanksgiving !

Feel free to add other comments and I will make sure to let you know on the week-end how it ended.

mitch
11-23-2006, 02:50 PM
X2 all the way......

erkoehler
11-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I'd go X30...the extra space is awesome and your not paying that much more.

jsnipes
11-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Jsnipes, I love the colors you put on your boat. There seems to be more room at the front than the X2. The pictures are very convincing. I think I am leaning more towards the X15.

Thanks to all for your help and happy thanksgiving !

Feel free to add other comments and I will make sure to let you know on the week-end how it ended.

Well??? What's the word? Let's see some pics!!

JS

sully
11-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Both would be great boats. But stop and measure where you are going to have store it. Our garage was exactly 22'0 deep with a standard height garage door. Our great dealer modified the trailer to have guide post removable and shortened the tongue to get the 215 stuffed in there. Good luck on your search!

Jet
11-26-2006, 09:58 PM
8p We have ordered a 2007 Maristar 215 with the same equipment as an X15, i.e. tower, ballast... We did also go with the MCX.

The only thing is we are still playing with the colors. We have some time ahead of us because our delivery date is around May 1st, 2007.

This is going to be the longest winter ever.

Thanks to all for your great advice and I will let you know what we have chosen for colors when decided, right now we are playing with pro-tour red, white and navy blue flake.

jsnipes
11-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Sounds like a great choice...I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Post pics of the color scheme once you finalize it.

I just finished winterizing mine this weekend, which stinks. My winter is going to be pretty long too! We can all commiserate here together.

JS

dapicatti
11-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Jet
Congrats on picking your boat. Either boat is great, we love our X-2 but see the merits of the X-15. You will love it.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2006, 09:19 AM
8p We have ordered a 2007 Maristar 215 with the same equipment as an X15, i.e. tower, ballast... We did also go with the MCX.

The only thing is we are still playing with the colors. We have some time ahead of us because our delivery date is around May 1st, 2007.

This is going to be the longest winter ever.

Thanks to all for your great advice and I will let you know what we have chosen for colors when decided, right now we are playing with pro-tour red, white and navy blue flake.

Sounds like a great combination, all of it...:cool:

Jet
12-25-2006, 12:52 PM
We finally went with the X-15 instead of the Maristar 215.

We have picked the Switch design with gunmetal flake for the rear part and the rest of it pro-tour red, and a slate gray line .

Very anxious to see it...

I wish all of you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year !

Thanks for your input,