PDA

View Full Version : snow skis

6 balls
11-21-2006, 06:04 PM
i have been thinking about getting into snowskiing agian and was looking for some input on skis. i snow skied regularly 5 years ago and since then just getting out 2-3 times a year and i feel that i can pick it up pretty fast. in addition i can run deep into 28 off on a slalom ski so i am thinking that helps. for skis the main ski i am looking at is the K2 Public enemy. not sure why but it seemed to like that ski. are there any other skis i should look at? i want something that is dual tip and can pretty much do anything.

please give me any input you have

6 balls

Archimedes
11-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I ski on Atomic C9s and love 'em. Parabolics that turn quick but are still pretty stable until the speeds get really hairy. But they're not an all mountain ski by any stretch. Pure groomer ski.

slink976
11-21-2006, 06:12 PM
what is snow?

6 balls
11-21-2006, 06:50 PM
slink- snow :D
http://thomashawk.com/hello/209/1017/1024/Snow%20and%20Clouds.jpg

rcnjson
11-21-2006, 07:08 PM
what is snow?
It is that white stuff that falls from the sky that makes people forget how to drive.

Twin tips, the popular ones that I have seen other than the public enemy, are Line Skis. Newer ski manufacturer, popular with the kids, I think the majority of their skis are twin tips. Rossignol has the scratch, and Salomon has the 1080. Those are the ones that I see the most.

I had been out of skiing for a while too and a couple of years ago I got back in. I bought my first set of shaped skis, I went from 205 Fischer World Cups (old race skis) to a set of 170 Rossignol bandits. Just cruisers, nothing special, but it has been a lot of fun getting back into skiing.
k

thijs
11-21-2006, 07:36 PM
There are so many different skis out there. They all have something in common now-a-days: they are parabolic or 'shaped'. The truning radius has a lot to do with the way the ski performs. I ski strictly FIS race skis, but find that I have to have to different pairs. My slaloms are Atomic 9'16's: 155cm (10 cm too short to legally race I believe) but they are super-short radius and very stiff. If you are not careful they will undress you and beak your shoulder. It is very easy to over 'weight' your ski when carving then boom; you're upside down. (think of a leaf spring). Then I also ski Rossignol 9x's for quicker skiing with more open turns (Giant Slalom ski181cm).

All and all you can go for something like the Atomic supercross- a down tuned cross between Slalom and GS with a mildly raised tail for some backwards skiing. I reconmend something like the supercross by either:

Rossignol
Atomic
Dynastar
maybe Fisher

These are some of the skis I've seen hold up best on the mountains.
Salomon is not bad.

I'd avoid everything else. Stick to the brands you see our National Teams skiing- not neccesarily the models. These are obviously tested Brands.

slink976
11-21-2006, 07:52 PM
oh that stuff huh thought that was just in the movies

prostar205
11-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Atomic Metron M11 or the B5 - they completely ROCK!!!!

I swear these skis added 10 years to my skiing years. My wife and I heliski in the Canadian Rockies at Whistler on a yearly basis. These are the only things I will take up there.

bkhallpass
11-21-2006, 07:58 PM
I have never skied in the east, but I am told that the conditions are frequently icy. That would be my concern with the Public Enemies and most of the twin tip skis designed for park skiing. Most of these skies don't like ice, and don't like high speed. I would ask a local pro shop how they handle ice. The Public Enemies are wider than most park skis and should handle powder well.

I would ask why do you want twin tip skis. Again, most are fairly soft, don't like ice or speed. They're designed for park skiing, rails, and half pipes. Most parabolic skis now have the tips turned up slightly so if you only occasionally ski backwards, you don't really need a true twin tip.

I bought a pair of the Solomon 1080 park skis a couple of years ago. I don't ride rails etc. but spent a lot of time skiing backwards teaching my wife. As she progressed, they were great because they forced me to ski slower, and I didnt' ski away from her. Now that she has progressed, I'm going back to a more traditional all mountain ski, and we're also going to invest in some fat powder skis (probably K2s). BKH

peason
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Why not give snow boarding a chance. I started last year and now my skis stay at home.

slickwilly
11-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Atomic has the triplets that are there park skis if that is what your looking for. I have a pair of Atomic Metron B5 that really rip turns. I also have some slaloms Atomic SL11 and SL12 and they are fast and love to turn and hold on hard snow conditions. Try a demo day at an area near you or the ski area's shop will let you demo a few pairs if you are serious.

6 balls
11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Why not give snow boarding a chance. I started last year and now my skis stay at home.

tried that a few times and my *** hurt soo bad i couldnt sit for a week

dmayer84
11-21-2006, 11:07 PM
I was hardcore atomic both racing and all moutain skis, stopped racing a few years ago. I tried Armada ARV's and I love them. Great skis everything that I ask of them they do.

MasterCrafting
11-22-2006, 03:12 AM
Go with the PE's you'll love them. Solid all around ski, though this years model was kind of a let down. Its still solid but it just didnt advance at all...I've slalomed with the ski just to prove a point and it can in fact turn some gates. It loves groomers, flys trough crud and floats fairly well on powder. Solid park ski plus it handles itself all mountain. Most importantly the price is right. There are alot of skis out ther way better then the PE but not for the money i'm willing to throw down.

rcnjson
11-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Or... I've heard that Rossignol is making shot skis these days too...

rcnjson
11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
... Chicks dig the shot ski

corey
11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Born and raised a boarder, but if I were going to ski it would be Volkl's all the way! This is based solely off of a night of drinking with the Volkl rep so you know its solid logic.

thijs
11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Most parabolic skis now have the tips turned up slightly so if you only occasionally ski backwards, you don't really need a true twin tip.

I ski all day backwards with my 9'16's: And they certaily DO NOT have a twin tip. Just how you manage em (and a bit of the snow conditions).

06' X-2 R8R H8R
11-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Isnt snow that stuff that gives us WATER in the lakes?
Just wondering

kennbarbie
11-22-2006, 09:17 PM
If your looking for a twin-tip, Rossignol Scratch BC WRS is the way to go. If you are looking for a all mountain ski, Rossignol B2 is perfect for powder, groomed and the trees. I have about 250 days on a pair of Scratch, they have treated me well. The B2's I have about 60 days on so far. Add another couple this weekend. Rossignol stands by thier product and have never had any issues in the last 10 years with them.

BeavenX5
11-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Personally, I thing one of the good all around ski that will allow you to progress is the Atomic SX9. SX10 of you like a stiffer ski. For me (5'10", 190lb), a 163cm would be good.
I, personally, don't believe in twintips unless you want to act like a kid and spend your days backward in the half pipe. I have never tried the K2 PE
I currently ski a volkl supersport 168cm, great ski but I could use a shorter and stiffer ski.
:twocents:

tex
11-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Not that I will get to use them this year...I have been thinking about buying some new skis. Size is of concern(so the wife says)...Before the shaped skis came out, I used to ride 185's for all mountain, jumping of crap skis. I have a pair of 205's for hauling ars. I have been strictly snowboarding for the past 6-7 years. Last year I rented some skis to be able to get around w/my 6 year old who was learning. I got some 145 shaped skis and loved them! I re-discovered the fun of skiing and getting air. I'm thinking of twin tips to play in the park or just some good all mountain skis. Any suggestions on size? I'm 5-8 and 190.
:confused:

thijs
11-24-2006, 02:45 PM
tex,

If you arent concerned about breaking sound barriers try 160cm. They are real short, but that makes them very resonsive and easy to handle. But if you open up the speed they will difficult to control (they really like to turn). If you like hauling butt, 175-180.

Personally I ski a 155cm Slalom, they are really stiff and are super tight carving. But at the price when I opened them up last season and hit a compression while carving out a turn I over weighted the skis and they released all the energy back at me and caused me to nearly invert. I ended up with shoulder joint injuries. Lost a month of work. What really hurt was the double ejection yard sale UNDER THE CHAIR: OUCH.

Zach S
11-27-2006, 10:12 AM
You guys should check a set of 4 fronts... A buddy of mine started the company. They are awesome all around or park skis. Check out his website. www.4frnt.com

east tx skier
11-27-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm on my second set of Rossignol Bandits (needed to go shorter is the only reason I got a second set). Great skis. Recommend the B2.

kennbarbie
11-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Personally, I thing one of the good all around ski that will allow you to progress is the Atomic SX9. SX10 of you like a stiffer ski. For me (5'10", 190lb), a 163cm would be good.
I, personally, don't believe in twintips unless you want to act like a kid and spend your days backward in the half pipe. I have never tried the K2 PE
I currently ski a volkl supersport 168cm, great ski but I could use a shorter and stiffer ski.
:twocents:

I like the twin tips for patrolling. When Im doing my fence lines I ski backwards alot. And when taking a guy thats hurt in a tobogan, doing a falling leaf with twin tips is great. Twin tops are not always for the kids. And besides, you will never have to worry about someone skiing to close behind you with twin tips, the spray will drive them off.